IGNORED

How to fix squashed boxes???

Morpheus

Hi Folks,

Is there any way to fix squashed boxes?

I hate bended top and bottom flaps! When I get some, I bend them on the opposite side frenetically, but it’s totally useless !?

876DDA64-5C18-4643-9863-5C451462EE78.thumb.jpeg.5fb63e8cc9b2adfe7844643685af6b82.jpeg

May be there is a simple and smart way to make them perfectly flat, it would be great! Share your secrets ! Thanks! ???

• Like 1

I've used a clothing iron before.. Unfold & flatten out the box, then with a little bit of heat, iron out the wrinkles. It just depends how bad the box is. Worked okay for me I suppose. It's worth a shot anyway. 1hatman had some good tips on this type of thing.. It's in an old 'box restoration thread' from a few years ago, here somewhere.

Hank posted a decent video a while back.

For a less invasive method, simply adding a piece of foam (polystyrene, styrofoam, or even cardboard) to the inside of the game's box can add integrity and make it hold its shape better.  Hank's method involves ungluing and ironing the box, then regluing the box.

Ironing works great.

Open up completely and flat.

Lay on a hard flat surface and iron between 2 clean white sheets of paper. 

Low heat press hard and dont leave in 1 place at all.

Experiment on a cheap box but its pretty easy to get the hang of and works wonders.

• Like 2

If its a normal flap top/bottom box you can open both ends and just fold it back flat like it originally was when made. Then iron.

If its 1 glued at the bottom you can cut a piece of wood the right size to put inside if you dont want to take it apart....probably better not to unglue.

1 minute ago, stupus said:

If its a normal flap top/bottom box you can open both ends and just fold it back flat like it originally was when made. Then iron.

If its 1 glued at the bottom you can cut a piece of wood the right size to put inside if you dont want to take it apart....probably better not to unglue.

Oh, I thought you guys were talking about ungluing and opening up the entire box to flatten it.

Thanks a lot guys!

I’ll try to iron those damn bended flaps to make them a bit more flat…

Between two white paper sheets.

Do I have to leave the vapor or I keep just the hot iron?

The only problem is that I’m not good at ironing, I’ll have to ask my wife, and the answer will be something like ☠️☠️????⚔️??⚰️?

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

In Hank's video he discusses ungluing.

Thanks, but I personally wanted to avoid that, because ungluing seems to lead to regluing, which inevitably means bonded fingers, sticky web streaks and etched fingerprints on every surface, and an annoyed wife.

The biggest problems I have with my boxes are the bottom flaps which compromise the structural integrity of the box by a combination of dents on the cover and creases on the flap.  Going by the suggestions above, I should be able to just flatten out the flaps to iron them, and sticking a board inside the box to iron the cover.  Good stuff! ?

-dZ.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Thanks a lot guys!

I’ll try to iron those damn bended flaps to make them a bit more flat…

Between two white paper sheets.

Do I have to leave the vapor or I keep just the hot iron?

The only problem is that I’m not good at ironing, I’ll have to ask my wife, and the answer will be something like ☠️☠️????⚔️??⚰️?

Ive never used it with steam on a box.

You can take dents out of wood though using water on a paper towel with an iron lol

45 minutes ago, Black_Tiger said:

I just use plastic cases for all boxed games.

I'm fine with worn boxes for many titles. I just like being able to admire the artwork and read the manuals.

I tend to agree, but some of my boxes are so warped that they don't stand straight on my shelf; and when I have to handle them to play a game, it feels as if I'm making it worse by trying to ply them open to extract the cartridge.

dZ.

Okay,

I’ll wait for my wife to be out, I’ll search the whole house for the iron and  I’ll try to make those fxxxing rounded flaps as flat as a pool’s table! ??

I wouldn’t unglue the boxes, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to build them back after…

Pics will follow !?

Regluing boxes isn't that bad, honestly. You shouldn't have any problems with sticking fingers together and whatnot, (unless you're using superglue, which BTW, I wouldn't use on a large area). Craft glue, you can wipe away with a damp rag. Most of that stuff is water soluble. Heck, you could even try using double-sided tape, if you wish, but hopefully you can iron out what you need to without completely disassembling and undoing any glue seams. Don't use steam or anything like that, just low heat, as already mentioned.

Ah, I finally found them.. Here's a couple old box restoration threads by 1hatman that were very enlightening and helpful. :)

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/260704-turbo-box-restoration/

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/243489-super-pro-football-box-repair/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Regluing boxes isn't that bad, honestly. You shouldn't have any problems with sticking fingers together and whatnot, (unless you're using superglue, which BTW, I wouldn't use on a large area). Craft glue, you can wipe away with a damp rag. Most of that stuff is water soluble. Heck, you could even try using double-sided tape, if you wish, but hopefully you can iron out what you need to without completely disassembling and undoing any glue seams. Don't use steam or anything like that, just low heat, as already mentioned.

Ah, I finally found them.. Here's a couple old box restoration threads by 1hatman that were very enlightening and helpful. :)

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/260704-turbo-box-restoration/

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/243489-super-pro-football-box-repair/

Amazing treads, thanks a lot to have brought them back to the present !?

• Like 2