IGNORED

Best usb reader?

Personally, I like the mass storage convenience of devices like

the Ultrasatan:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=48'

Formatting your SD cards with TOS/DOS compatibility allows

easy swapping between the ST and Windows machines.

You can get it external, or internal for machines like the

Mega ST and Mega STe.

HTH's.

NetUsbee, plugs into the cartridge port, and has an ethernet port and USB port,

not used it a great deal yet as I'm trying to fix floppy problems,

however once installed, you can open a browser on your PC and copy files to/from the ST.

I believe you can also plug USB sticks into it and transfer files that way, but not tried yet.

If want to give answer to literal question "best usb reader" I would start with correction: it is "best USB reader" .

And what that means ? USB card reader among people, and term is still not correct - those device can write too.

And they are usable not with Atari ST, not even with NetUsBee (I guess that no such driver for it), but with modern computers.

So, my answer is:  Sunpak 72 in 1, high speed card reader.  I bough it some 3 years ago for some 12 Euros, and it is really good, fast, and with most of slots I ever saw on reader.  There is even xD and phone SIM slot/connector. And of course MicroSD, CF ... 

Very good if need to copy Atari files on SD cards used with UltraSatan or any other adapter for Atari ST, Falcon what uses Flash cards. And surely good to transfer files used with Gotek.

Instead Gotek I would recommend UltraSatan - costs little more, but you will be on different world considering speed and comfort of usage.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:28 AM, developerdude said:

Can anyone tell me the best current device to get software onto an Atari ST?

Is a Gotek floppy emulator the best way to go?

Recommended place to buy from?

thanks

One of the most easier and comfortable ways of use software on an Atari ST/E is a hard disk device, using a ST and Windows compatible partition.

I can recommend one of the units I manufacture, by the price ( it cost a 33% percent of an Ultrasatan), performance is very good (650 KB/s read and 350 KB/s write) and the firmware I customized (rewritten using ARM assembly) is compatible with all STFM and TT machines.

You can review the thread and user videos:

Edited by masteries

On 7/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, developerdude said:

Can anyone tell me the best current device to get software onto an Atari ST?

Is a Gotek floppy emulator the best way to go?

Recommended place to buy from?

thanks

The only issue with a Gotek is you have to organize your USB in a particular way, and it only supports 100 floppies, so any remaining space on the USB drive will go to waste.

But it works, and it possibly cheaper than other solutions.

21 minutes ago, zzip said:

The only issue with a Gotek is you have to organize your USB in a particular way, and it only supports 100 floppies, so any remaining space on the USB drive will go to waste.

hm... I do not have Gotek but I read that it can be flashed with another firmware so Gotek become more versatile?

28 minutes ago, zzip said:

I didn't think there was a limit, it used FlashFloppy and I believe the only time you have to worry about the way you

copy files onto your USB is if you use HCX Compatability Mode.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Not correct, at least completely. You have a certain number of slots, maybe it's 100, I can't recall, but you can store as much on your drive as you want and move files into and out of those slots at will and as necessary. You can only have a certain number assigned to numbered slots at one time, but you can change those whenever and however you like.

Edited by bfollowell