IGNORED

Diablo II: Resurrected

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hey if they did what I hoped like with the C&C Remaster and just gave it a new coat of audio visual paint, and stopped the quality life stuff around that, gui, etc but didn't damage the original AI and it's pathing at all, that's a 100% win in my book.  Don't complain, but then again...do?  At least it's a legit one and not some grand standing crybaby stuff why not to buy it which is a breath of fresh air. :D  I want to grab it and I will, problem is, Metroid Dread and FF5 Advance are where I'm at right now, and I know if I deviate trouble happens.

I get what you're saying- and really, I'm just whining more than anything, lol.  It's still fun and still Diablo 2 so in the end if that's what a person is expecting I think it's a good 'remaster'.  I'll still keep a-playin'.  :)

Or you could play Grim Dawn, which is the game Diablo III should have been. Feels far, far more like Diablo II than Diablo III ever did. You can get that on GOG, I recommend getting the Ashes of Malmoth and Forgotten Gods addons because with those on there, there's a fan made mod you can install that essentially turns the game into Diablo II.

Otherwise, if you haven't played them and have access to either a Gamecube, Xbox or PS2, the two Dark Alliance games are bloody marvellous. Better than D2 IMO and still unsurpassed in the genre.

16 hours ago, juansolo said:

Or you could play Grim Dawn, which is the game Diablo III should have been. Feels far, far more like Diablo II than Diablo III ever did. You can get that on GOG, I recommend getting the Ashes of Malmoth and Forgotten Gods addons because with those on there, there's a fan made mod you can install that essentially turns the game into Diablo II.

Otherwise, if you haven't played them and have access to either a Gamecube, Xbox or PS2, the two Dark Alliance games are bloody marvellous. Better than D2 IMO and still unsurpassed in the genre.

Switch got a port of the first Dark Alliance, I think.  I had both DA games on the PS2 and really enjoyed them.

Path of Exile and Torchlight 1/2 both scratch the itch, too.  Ignore Torchlight 3, however; it's been abandoned and doesn't play well at all IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:40 AM, digdugnate said:

Switch got a port of the first Dark Alliance, I think.  I had both DA games on the PS2 and really enjoyed them.

Path of Exile and Torchlight 1/2 both scratch the itch, too.  Ignore Torchlight 3, however; it's been abandoned and doesn't play well at all IMO.

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X got the port of the first Dark Alliance back in May, just before the release of Dark Alliance 3. The release date for the Switch and PC ports are still TBA. I read somewhere that the PS4 version had been delisted in error but was supposed to return. Dark Alliance II is rumored to be coming soon too.

Edited by TheGameCollector

2 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X got the port of the first Dark Alliance back in May, just before the release of Dark Alliance 3. The release date for the Switch and PC ports are still TBA. I read somewhere that the PS4 version had been delisted in error but was supposed to return. Dark Alliance II is rumored to be coming soon too.

Uhh no...it came out on Switch at the same time.  I've had it since it came out, very well done by the book conversion without ruining it with so called enhancements.  Cleaned up for HD, left the gameplay/AI alone like EA did with Command & Conquer remaster and a few others have done in recent times.  Some people finally are learning, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

5 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

Dark Alliance 1 is available on the Switch eshop for $30.  It came out May 20th.   ?

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:46 PM, digdugnate said:

Dark Alliance 1 is available on the Switch eshop for $30.  It came out May 20th.   ?

So only the planned PC version isn't here yet? According to Gamefaqs that one is still TBA. That one would be really good to have around because the console emulators don't run that game very well. I think the Gamecube version has less glitches but I like its button layout the least. Because the Gamecube controller has less buttons, there is no auto map toggle button. Instead you have to go into the menu. The B button is also not the action button so the button mapping feels reversed. The PS2 version is still very glitchy in PCSX2 even after applying "allow 8 bit textures, allow hardware hacks, fast texture invalidation" as recommended on forums. I doubt that the Xbox emulator would be any better but I haven't tried that yet because Xemu requires these special Xbox files I haven't found yet.

From what I remember the Gamecube one runs correctly as Dolphin is a fantastic emulator, but if you hate the controls not much you can do about that one.  If it's the actual feel of the controller, just don't use it, either by emulator or by using a controller adapter and a replacement on the hardware itself.  I'd like to have it on Cube again, but I never did grab it and I think the price blows now or something(not looked it up in a couple years) so when it hit the Switch and having a $50 gift card I went for it.

I've had Diablo 2 Resurrected now for my Xbox One since a day or two after the release. It's been pretty addictive to me personally, running difference characters and playing whenever I have some time (usually at night when things are settled down). There's been a few nights when I've looked at the clock and realized it's midnight. Yep, I'm hooked!

• Like 2

Yeah I'd probably buy it if either A it was available physical, or B didn't require logging in online to play single player mode. With internet outages a common random occurrence, to me it is unacceptable. So for now I play the Switch version with a true offline patch thru Ryujinx. It's weird how this one requires closing and restarting the emulator over and over and eventually it works if it doesn't boot correctly. Hopefully the emulator team figures out a fix so it loads right away every time. It's going to play an important role in preserving this version of the game for the future, being digital only and all.

About Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance:

On 11/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, Tanooki said:

From what I remember the Gamecube one runs correctly as Dolphin is a fantastic emulator, but if you hate the controls not much you can do about that one.  If it's the actual feel of the controller, just don't use it, either by emulator or by using a controller adapter and a replacement on the hardware itself.  I'd like to have it on Cube again, but I never did grab it and I think the price blows now or something(not looked it up in a couple years) so when it hit the Switch and having a $50 gift card I went for it.

What Gamecube does is has the pick up button to the right of the attack button where the other versions have it to the left. It also has one less button on the controller so there is no button to toggle the automap. You have to go into the menu to change it. Then most of all, the Gamecube doesn't have the sequel. I liked playing it on a Gamecube with the original controller, but emulating it with a PS4 controller it just feels wrong when the buttons are mapped backward like that.

I found out there are less PS2 emulation issues if you run it with Open GL software mode instead of hardware, but then you have to sacrifice the ability to upscale. For the most part, playing upscaled with some graphical issues is better than composite-like video quality on an LCD or LED.

Haven't tried emulating Xbox yet.

I'd agree with one of those parts entirely -- the foolish sad stunt they pulled NOT releasing the sequel on Gamecube.  That really got me mad back in the day because from what did get reported it sold fine, more than enough to justify, but as with a lot of Gamecube games in the last 2 active good years left it has before the Wii... a lot of losers bailed on it, no real reason to because the games hadn't largely gotten bigger to where it would need more 2 mini DVD packs to pull it off... it just was cheaping out to save a buck.  Gamecube had a good run for more than half its life, then got the boot from developers trying to cheap out, wind down, and get ready for the Wii/PS3/360 era.