IGNORED

Switch Collecting: Current status and future goals

gummy

As a backdrop I have a rather large collection of games for other consoles including over 400 PS4 releases and a Virtual Boy full set (US games).  Currently my Switch collection is rather small at under 40 titles but I plan to change that.  I have been focusing on some of the tougher to find titles and oddball releases (ie What The Golf?).  I figure I can always get games likes Mario Odyssey and BotW so those are not high up on my list currently. I also try and grab a Limited Run release from time to time as they seem like a solid investment.

I am just curious what other people are focusing on for the Switch.  Are you content with your current Switch collection or do you feel like it is lacking?

Edited by gummy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gummy said:

As a backdrop I have a rather large collection of games for other consoles including over 400 PS4 releases and a Virtual Boy full set (US games).  Currently my Switch collection is rather small at under 40 titles but I plan to change that.  I have been focusing on some of the tougher to find titles and oddball releases (ie What The Golf?).  I figure I can always get games likes Mario Odyssey and BotW so those are not high up on my list currently. I also try and grab a Limited Run release from time to time as they seem like a solid investment.

I am just curious what other people are focusing on for the Switch.  Are you content with your current Switch collection or do you feel like it is lacking?

I'm fine with mine. I actually look at it as a console I want to play rather than collect for. I like looking for indie games on sale and giving them a try. As time goes on I find the collecting side less interesting but that's just me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to do it, but... the Switch is going to be a PAIN for collectors, if only due to the sheer number of companies all trying to cash in on the "tiny run of physical games" business.

It would be funny if those become "moderately" hard to find for collectors, and the truly "rare" stuff will be the "normal" releases that ceased to exist for one reason or another.  Rocket League, for example, had a physical release that's been supplanted by the free-to-play download version...

• Like 2

I had started out with the 'physical collection' aspect of collecting games/etc when I bought my first Switch in 2019 and had picked up a few LRG titles.  The boxes are pretty nice to look at.  :)

Pre-pandemic, I traveled so much, though, that I leaned towards digital purchases more for convenience than anything else.  I know the games aren't permanent the same way the carts would be, but I kind of hated fiddling with the tiny carts.

We are still buying physical for games that the family wants to play and swap between and importing games here and there that offer the full games on cartridge. (example: Asian region version of FFX/X-2)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not interested in collecting as the various Limited Run/Strictly Limited etc etc etc have made it a nightmare. I mean, I've been playing Bubble Bobble 4 for months, yet some are still waiting because they went the limited route? And HOW many versions of Darius have various companies shat out? It's become a bit laughable. I've ordered two games from Strictly Limited - I ordered Turrican Anthology vol. 1 because they hadn't announced the retail Flashback comp at that point, and Clockwork Aquario, and both are now months overdue.

I've got some 30 physical carts with a couple more on order, and checking last night I appear to have 360 digital games, with 40gb left on my 512gb SD.Many, many of those are indie games that I've barely touched, so I'm planning on slowing right down now unless it's something exceptional. Up until now, I've I've seen something on sale that even vaguely interests me, for less that the price of a pint, I've snapped it up.

I was debating to get No More Heroes from LRG because the combined box art looked really cool, but decided last minute to spend the money on some way cheaper digital purchases. Some of these LRG sound like a joke to me, like spending $80 on a physical edition of Doom 1, 2 + 3 while you can get the digital versions together for $20. I'm really happy with all the digital ports to the Switch lately, they start to become the majority of my Switch collection.

For actual collecting on the Switch, I personally focus on exclusives only. Was on the fence to get Xenoblade Chronicles Definite Edition when it came out, but didn't get it because I already own it on the 3DS.. looking back now that edition got really expensive. Octopath Traveler Wayfarer edition also got stupid expensive. Some Fire Emblem games also do quite well over time with the collector editions as well as some 1st party games of Nintendo like Zelda.

@Parker77 Same here, not that I was going to actually collect them all, it's insane, but the problems you stated is why almost no one should unless they've got really deep pockets and freely flowing assets to snap up anything as it appears, or pay some grifter after the fact.  Those lame-os at SLG really set me off as they put Cotton for sale there early this year I guess or late last, and then sat, and sat refusing to ever ship or even update people who had money taken from them.  The game then got picked up by ININ and sold on Amazon domestically for $10(plus shipping) LESS.  I contacted them and demanded a refund, they did it a few days later, and I dropped them from my mailing list as they're idiots.  That's a real failing model if you can make people wait months or a year plus for a product already sold at retail because you couldn't get enough sold through your queue (which now will NEVER happen since it can be bought from retail and for less money.)