IGNORED

Foes of Ali: what were they thinking?

On 7/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, famicommander said:

How could such a terrible boxing video game ever made it to production, and what unfortunate soul could ever come into possession of a copy of this monstrosity?

I imagine such a person would be cursed with it forever, unable to find another sucker to take it off their hands.

i think this is a bit of an exaggeration. no one owns it.

• Haha 1

Pah! The game was flawed but ahead of its time. Stuff like deteriorating/double vision in first person mode were pretty innovative. The Fight Night games did things much better a decade later, but Foes of Ali was a pretty good attempt at a realistic boxing game for 1995.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, famicommander said:

How could such a terrible boxing video game ever made it to production, and what unfortunate soul could ever come into possession of a copy of this monstrosity?

I imagine such a person would be cursed with it forever, unable to find another sucker to take it off their hands.

This is a minority opinion, many people like the game and back then it's graphics were plastered all over.

I'm mixed on it myself but I wouldn't say it's bad. Sure it hasn't aged well but most old sports games haven't. 

On 8/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, Leeroy ST said:

This is a minority opinion, many people like the game and back then it's graphics were plastered all over.

I'm mixed on it myself but I wouldn't say it's bad. Sure it hasn't aged well but most old sports games haven't. 

I dunno. I think anyone that would own this game has no self respect.

21 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Pretty poor game overall, but definitely technically impressive and important for its time. I'm glad to have it in my collection, but then I like slightly less arcade-y boxing games. It's basically a fancier version of 4D Sports Boxing from the PC and Amiga.

Hmm I remember 4D having a bit more depth, I feel Foes was more of a tech demo with serviceable gameplay.

1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

Hmm I remember 4D having a bit more depth, I feel Foes was more of a tech demo with serviceable gameplay.

More what I meant by "fancier" was more focused on flashier audio-visuals rather than necessarily anything related to depth over 4D. Model-wise/movement-wise you can see a clear connection despite the additional polygons and texture mapping on the 3DO game.

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2021 at 1:45 PM, Leeroy ST said:

Or they may like it, also a decent condition copy seems to go for a good price at some places.

There are plenty of worse games that people actually like than this one.

maybe. i might be a bit biased because of some guy that owned a gaming store kept going on and on about it and trying to make it seem like a steal of a deal for $100.