IGNORED

ZQX-ONE

Asmusr

As suggested by @FarmerPotato I have decided to call my port of Zaxxon ZQX-ONE. This thread replaces the demo thread: 

Version 0.1 of the game looks like this. The video is recorded from my own emulator https://js99er.net

I'm using a cheat mode because of my lack of skills playing the game: 

https://github.com/Rasmus-M/zqx-one

Source code at: 

https://js99er.net already has the game available from the menu. You must have F18A enabled under Options to play the game.

zqx-one-8.bin

Edited by Asmusr
Added instructions.
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I dont think that is realistically feasible.  I am not the expert there, but the F18A allows some wizardry that the original GPU just cant handle, since it is many times faster, internally.

The Colecovision has a 24K ROM with Zaxxon running on the same base GPU of the TI, not on the F18A. So a reduced version is theoretically feasible on the base machine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tmop69 said:

The Colecovision has a 24K ROM with Zaxxon running on the same base GPU of the TI, not on the F18A. So a reduced version is theoretically feasible on the base machine.

Sure it's possible since we already have Arcturus. It wouldn't have smooth scrolling and would have to use characters instead of sprites for most of the targets and enemies. I think maybe 10-20% of the work I have done could be reused. ?

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

Sure it's possible since we already have Arcturus. It wouldn't have smooth scrolling and would have to use characters instead of sprites for most of the targets and enemies. I think maybe 10-20% of the work I have done could be reused. ?

So, I hope to see this version! ? Do you know if there are tools to extract the graphic chars from a Colecovision ROM? This will speedup conversions from that platform.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, tmop69 said:

So, I hope to see this version! ? Do you know if there are tools to extract the graphic chars from a Colecovision ROM? This will speedup conversions from that platform.

Not really. I have used a tool called GfxRip before, but it doesn't support the 9918A color model. But this should be discussed in another thread since it would be an new project with a very different outcome.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

Has anyone tried to play the game (on real iron or in js99er.net), and if so, how far did you get?

I spent a few minute playing in js99er but kept getting my ass handed to me while I get used to the controls learning the boundaries of the playfield.  I plan to play on iron this week.

20 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Has anyone tried to play the game (on real iron or in js99er.net), and if so, how far did you get?

I tried again just now, first time I died straight away because I wasn't used to playing games that scroll this way , lol

Just now, I got to beginning of second level, 4000 points.  Love the graphics.  In the space stage between levels , even the little planets have colour gradients :)  

Jesus, I didn't realize it had an "attract mode" it's just started chirping away as I'm writing this!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...