IGNORED

Zoo Keeper on Expansion Module #1

Chris H.

Just received my copy of Champ Games new Zoo Keeper cart, and it apparently does not boot up using Expansion Module #1 - anyone else have this same problem?

Tried other Atari carts including more current homebrews and everything works fine, so it seems to be this particular cart...

Hi Chris,

I don't have the Expansion Module #1 to test Zoo Keeper on, but if other Melody-based games run on it (Mappy, Scramble, Super Cobra Arcade, Galagon, Wizard of Wor, Epic Adventure, Space Rocks, Chetiry, Draconian, Stay Frosty 2, etc.), then Zoo Keeper should also run.  I do test all games, twice, once with the bare board and again after the board has been assembled into a cartridge, but I'm testing on 2600 and 7800 consoles.  It's possible that either Zoo Keeper doesn't run on the Expansion Module or there's a problem with that particular cartridge. 

If someone else with Zoo Keeper can test their copy on the Coleco Expansion Module #1, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

..Al

9 hours ago, Kiwi said:

My copy of Deepstone Cavern doesn't boot on the Expansion Module #1 either.  However, Princess Rescue and Draconian does.  I will have to buy an Atari 2600 evidently.

These issues seem really weird as EM1 *is* really a 2600. I don't know if it is a problem with cart-to-slot connections, EM1 to Colecovision connection or not enough power being delivered to the cart for its extra functionality. As far as I know, the EM1 is not a watered down 2600 like the 2600 Jr that couldn't play Kool-Aid Man or the one-chip successor that has more limitations.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, Albert said:

Hi Chris,

I don't have the Expansion Module #1 to test Zoo Keeper on, but if other Melody-based games run on it (Mappy, Scramble, Super Cobra Arcade, Galagon, Wizard of Wor, Epic Adventure, Space Rocks, Chetiry, Draconian, Stay Frosty 2, etc.), then Zoo Keeper should also run.  I do test all games, twice, once with the bare board and again after the board has been assembled into a cartridge, but I'm testing on 2600 and 7800 consoles.  It's possible that either Zoo Keeper doesn't run on the Expansion Module or there's a problem with that particular cartridge. 

If someone else with Zoo Keeper can test their copy on the Coleco Expansion Module #1, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

..Al

Might be worth someone testing on a Gemini system.

Interesting that some Melody carts (like Zoo Keeper) could possibly have higher power requirements that an EM1 cannot provide - I have several other Melody carts from Champ Games that play well on my EM1 as well as many standard carts, so I know it's not the EM1 slot or expansion port connections that are the issue...if additional power is the problem it would be good to know going forward.

3 hours ago, Chris H. said:

...if additional power is the problem it would be good to know going forward.

How is everyone powering their ColecoVision system? That might be worth looking into and to test voltages under load… just in case.

Again, if someone has a Gemini system and the game, testing that setup could prove useful.

10 hours ago, Chris H. said:

My Colecovision uses the original 28.5 watt "brick" transformer that came with the unit - no problems with it powering all expansion modules including the roller controller...

But as we know from years of experience, there are certain games that push the limits of the original CV Power Transformer and issues can arise whereas everything else works fine as you mentioned. One such game is Lord of the Dungeon with it’s battery backup… it could cause issues with a power transformer that is slightly off spec.

This COULD be a possibility with newer 2600 Homebrews that are pushing the hardware further than anyone could have imagined in the early 80s.

Just have to consider all the possibilities and have everyone help out by testing on all the variations of hardware that can be used to play the game. Testing voltages under load would be the best test option.

I’m still very interested to hear if there are any issues when played on the Coleco Gemini system.

Edited by NIAD

I'm using Canadian Power Supply.  It takes awhile for the system to boot to working state after being off for a long period of time.  Usually sprites x position more than 128 pixels start to phase mirror at 0-128 and sometimes glitch out the vram a bit. I usually put Knightmare on for awhile since it does pushes the VDP during demo mode to unglitch it after awhile.  After I played Draconian for a half hour.  Then I took out the Atari expansion module and didn't bother to reinsert the SGM to play test the game I'm making.  The sprites are perfect and no phasing or mirroring glitch.  I'm using the non-passthrough modified Sega Controller.  Atari usually need 9 volt 500 ma for it to work.  And I still using the original power switch since the day I got it.  Draconian is CDF 32k board and Deepstone Cavern is Melody 32KB board.  I don't know if my Colecovision getting enough power.  The US Power Supply I have cord's are pretty bad so I retired that one so I don't risk frying the Colecovision. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I received a replacement copy of Zoo Keeper from Atari Age and this one works as it should, but I cannot tell if it was the previous cartridge or my Colecovision expansion port connections that were the problem before.  I also purchased a new Colecovision power adapter from Mean Well and it works as advertised, but I tried out the new Zoo Keeper cart with my old "brick" adapter and it worked with that one as well...typically I leave the SGM in my expansion port, so the main board or EM1 interface connections may be wearing out. All I know is that I now have a working version of Zoo Keeper and it's a blast...thanks for everyone's input!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Again, another similar issue...just received RobotWar: 2684 cart and it has the same problems with not booting in the EM1 - Champ Games carts really need to be tested against the EM1 before roll-out, since there is a large group who still use this component for Atari-based games...I've upgraded to a modern power adapter so I'm pretty sure it's not that component causing issues with their Melody carts...

Given this is the second cartridge you've received that has had this issue, I can only discern:

• There's an issue with your particular ColecoVision Expansion Module #1 where some Melody games are borderline (the first Zoo Keeper didn't work, but the second one did, and now your RobotWar cartridge does not work).
  • It's a more common issue with the ColecoVision Expansion Module #1, but there aren't very many people using them, and I've only had one other report of this issue (described below).

There is another thread about this very issue here. Another AtariAge member had access to two different Zoo Keeper cartridges, and neither would work on his expansion module, and he tested this on two different ColecoVisions and even tried a different power supply.  Both carts worked fine on a variety of 2600 systems he tried them on (except for one cart on a 2600 Jr. that also has sound issues, so he discounted that machine).  There was no resolution of the issue.  One thing that was mentioned in the thread is the connection between the adapter and the ColecoVision.  A poor/dirty connection can certainly cause issues like this, which one user in the thread demonstrated, so that's one thing you could look at if you haven't already.

I really doubt many people are using the "ColecoVision Expansion Module #1" to play modern 2600 homebrew games.  Some, sure, but certainly not "a large group who still use this component for Atari-based games", especially relative to those who are using genuine Atari hardware (of which there is no shortage of).  I have not personally been testing new games on this expansion module, and I don't even have one in my house right now.  I may have one in storage that I can dig out, though.  Even if it turns out there's an issue that affects only the ColecoVision Expansion Module #1, it may not be feasible to "fix" it if it's something inherent in the module's hardware. 

I'd be glad to exchange your RobotWar cart for another, and I will test the replacement on the ColecoVision Expansion Module #1 if I can hunt one down in storage. 

..Al

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Albert - any results with your EV1 test?  You've had my Robotwar cart for over two months, so I'm wondering if I can get a new working cart or a refund?...

Unfortunately the Colecovision expansion module is the only way I can play Atari carts (maybe I'm relatively unique that way), so if this particular Melody cart isn't working in the EV1 then I can't use it...CH