IGNORED

Every Arcade Game That Was Ported To The 2600 Compared Side By Side

retrocomparisons

Pretty cool.  A few comments:

You need to put a note in your description that the video should be played back using 720 or 1080.  It defaulted to 480 for me, which greatly exaggerates the flicker in games like Asteroids and Pac-Man. This is because 480 and below are only 30fps on YouTube.

You've excluded homebrew, so it's only a comparison of every* game released back in the day.  They've compiled an Atari VCS/2600 Arcade Ports list over at Atari Compendium that you might find as a useful starting point if you decide to do a part 2.  Just search for homebrew and you'll find them:

97242003_ScreenShot2021-07-20at9_36_24AM.thumb.png.bb2c395bc7fbe00c72d10f96bfbf2021.png

Do note the list is sorted by homebrew name and a lot of the ports have different names than the arcade original. Its also possible they missed some of the homebrew ports - I've confirmed my 3 finished ports are listed for Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe, Bosconian, and Warlords, as well as my WIP port of Berzerk/Frenzy.

Doesn't appear to be every game, I don't recall seeing Combat or Championship/Pele's soccer. There are likely others missed as well, probably due to the name changes:

2103058531_ScreenShot2021-07-20at9_44_09AM.thumb.png.30897f5ba125f64bafa16e9edc8e20e7.png

1145164413_ScreenShot2021-07-20at9_42_15AM.thumb.png.bb9e5988a7ef786da7e2d8ea94bae7aa.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

Nice!

Star Ship is another that I think is missing (or I missed it).  Based on Starship 1

Yeah Star Ship was one of those ones that was kind of a grey area.  It's based on that game but I don't know if it's considered a direct port.  Maybe I'll do a separate mini video with that game just to cover all bases.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Pretty cool.  A few comments:

You need to put a note in your description that the video should be played back using 720 or 1080.  It defaulted to 480 for me, which greatly exaggerates the flicker in games like Asteroids and Pac-Man. This is because 480 and below are only 30fps on YouTube.

You've excluded homebrew, so it's only a comparison of every* game released back in the day.  They've compiled an Atari VCS/2600 Arcade Ports list over at Atari Compendium that you might find as a useful starting point if you decide to do a part 2.  Just search for homebrew and you'll find them:

97242003_ScreenShot2021-07-20at9_36_24AM.thumb.png.bb2c395bc7fbe00c72d10f96bfbf2021.png

Do note the list is sorted by homebrew name and a lot of the ports have different names than the arcade original. Its also possible they missed some of the homebrew ports - I've confirmed my 3 finished ports are listed for Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe, Bosconian, and Warlords, as well as my WIP port of Berzerk/Frenzy.

Doesn't appear to be every game, I don't recall seeing Combat or Championship/Pele's soccer. There are likely others missed as well, probably due to the name changes:

2103058531_ScreenShot2021-07-20at9_44_09AM.thumb.png.30897f5ba125f64bafa16e9edc8e20e7.png

1145164413_ScreenShot2021-07-20at9_42_15AM.thumb.png.bb9e5988a7ef786da7e2d8ea94bae7aa.png

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll add that disclaimer in there about the video quality in the description.  I decided against including homebrew since it's a living scene because the video could be out of date very quickly.  I would love to do a separate video though at some point where I compare all of the current homebrew games to the arcade as well as to the 5200 & 7800.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retrocomparisons said:

I would love to do a separate video though at some point where I compare all of the current homebrew games to the arcade as well as to the 5200 & 7800

Perhaps do a number of shorter followup videos that cover a specific year or year range (since earlier years are sparse) and only cover games that have been finished.  As such Frantic, my WIP port of Berzerk/Frenzy, would not be included. Searching that list on:

• homebrew 199 = 8 games for the '90s
  • homebrew 200 = 35 games for the '00s
  • homebrew 201 = 14 games for the '10s (seems low)
  • homebrew 202 = 2 games for the '20s (also seems low)

Of course the Atari Compendium list may not be all inclusive, so would suggest some additional research.  @Arenafoot's The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled should be helpful for that.

• Like 4

On 7/18/2021 at 2:18 PM, retrocomparisons said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUnhE24g8sc

This is every game released on the 2600 that was also an arcade game.  The lone exception being Outlaw which is a TTL game that currently cannot be played on MAME, DICE or any other emulator that I know of.

Cool video  I did not know that Outlaw was TTL.

• Like 1

Nice video! I found out about a few games I didn't realize were arcade ports.

One arguable case that you might have included is Universal Chaos, which is based on an unreleased, near-complete port of Targ that (as I understand it) was tweaked slightly and renamed. But it's Targ in all but name, albeit a cut-down Targ.

Of course as soon as we get into renamed properties it gets tricky (though that seems to be mainly a homebrew thing). Makes me think of growing up with the Color Computer and all those arcade ports under janky names -- "Dunkey Munkey", "Gantelet", and the like.

• Like 2

Nice Video, if you decide to do a part 2 or revise at some point here are a few more.  The names didn't always correspond probably for marketing reasons and sometimes they took elements from multiple arcade games and put them in one cartridge.

Air-Sea Battle / Target Fun = Anti-Aircraft / Anti-Aircraft II

Human Cannonball / Cannon Man = Cannonball

Video Olympics / Pong Sports = Pong and many other variations

Surround = Dominos

Indy 500 / Race = Indy 4

Combat / Tank Plus = Tank and variations as well as Jet Fighter

Video Pinball / Arcade Pinball = Video Pinball

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 12:48 PM, retrocomparisons said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll add that disclaimer in there about the video quality in the description.  I decided against including homebrew since it's a living scene because the video could be out of date very quickly.  I would love to do a separate video though at some point where I compare all of the current homebrew games to the arcade as well as to the 5200 & 7800.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:58 PM, SpiceWare said:

Perhaps do a number of shorter followup videos that cover a specific year or year range (since earlier years are sparse) and only cover games that have been finished.  As such Frantic, my WIP port of Berzerk/Frenzy, would not be included. Searching that list on:

• homebrew 199 = 8 games for the '90s
  • homebrew 200 = 35 games for the '00s
  • homebrew 201 = 14 games for the '10s (seems low)
  • homebrew 202 = 2 games for the '20s (also seems low)

Of course the Atari Compendium list may not be all inclusive, so would suggest some additional research.  @Arenafoot's The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled should be helpful for that.

Thanks for the shout out Darrell @SpiceWare!!! @retrocomparisons I was about to recommend my "List" also but Darrell beat me to it! LOL

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Nice Video, if you decide to do a part 2 or revise at some point here are a few more.  The names didn't always correspond probably for marketing reasons and sometimes they took elements from multiple arcade games and put them in one cartridge.

Air-Sea Battle / Target Fun = Anti-Aircraft / Anti-Aircraft II

Human Cannonball / Cannon Man = Cannonball

Video Olympics / Pong Sports = Pong and many other variations

Surround = Dominos

Indy 500 / Race = Indy 4

Combat / Tank Plus = Tank and variations as well as Jet Fighter

Video Pinball / Arcade Pinball = Video Pinball

That's some great info!  I may do some individual videos at some point for all of the gaps.  When it comes to grey areas like this I tend to keep games like this off but it can be a tossup.  At some point I'd love to do a 2600 vs 5200 vs 7800 vs XEGS vs arcade video so if I don't get around to those individual games I can put them as "bonus" content at the end.

13 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

Nice video! I found out about a few games I didn't realize were arcade ports.

One arguable case that you might have included is Universal Chaos, which is based on an unreleased, near-complete port of Targ that (as I understand it) was tweaked slightly and renamed. But it's Targ in all but name, albeit a cut-down Targ.

Of course as soon as we get into renamed properties it gets tricky (though that seems to be mainly a homebrew thing). Makes me think of growing up with the Color Computer and all those arcade ports under janky names -- "Dunkey Munkey", "Gantelet", and the like.

Thanks for checking this out!  There's a lot of grey areas with games being indirect ports.  It's very hard to determine sometimes if a game is a direct port, an imitation or something else entirely.  To play it safe I just went with the officially released games that had the same name.  Lol Gantelet is a fantastic name!

10 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

Thanks for the shout out Darrell @SpiceWare!!! @retrocomparisons I was about to recommend my "List" also but Darrell beat me to it! LOL

That is one hell of an amazing resource!  I'll make sure to reference that when I get around to more Atari videos.  Thanks for your hard work on that!