IGNORED

Ever made yourself play a game you didn’t like because it’s “important?”

Razzie.P

On 8/19/2021 at 2:09 AM, RJ said:

Good Lord, no. Wouldnt even consider it. Life's too short for that.

Look up the top 10 "important" games for gaming systems up until 2007 (that's when I quit keeping up) & I've maybe played 2 in each list.

Wow the more I think about the question, the more ?? I get.

Who DOES that?

Are there ppl who DO that?

Do people listen to music that they might not normally listen to because of reviews or awards?   Movies?  TV Shows?  Books?  Of course they do.  Why should games be any different?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

Do people listen to music that they might not normally listen to because of reviews or awards?   Movies?  TV Shows?  Books?  Of course they do.  Why should games be any different?

It's funny because I agree with everything you just said... except for music while it's the first example you mentioned. Music is probably the most subjective thing ever, and personally I would never listen to a song until the end if I really don't like that kind of music. Listening to a song (even an album) doesn't take as long as a movie, though, let alone a book or a video game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

It's funny because I agree with everything you just said... except for music while it's the first example you mentioned. Music is probably the most subjective thing ever, and personally I would never listen to a song until the end if I really don't like that kind of music. Listening to a song (even an album) doesn't take as long as a movie, though, let alone a book or a video game.

Yeah, I’ve known dozens of people who will do the same thing with music.  Just off the top of my head, I’m thinking of a specific group of friends whose clique/club would pick a new “best of” music list each year, and go through the entire collection, devoting a specific amount of time to each album.

I played along one year, and we listened to the top 50 greatest albums according to Time Life and/or RollingStone, and it was pretty cool.   We gave a week to each album, giving multiple plays, learning the ins and outs of the "making of," hanging out and chatting about it before moving on the next one.

I was introduced to some pretty awesome albums that I likely wouldn’t have given a chance otherwise.

So yeah, regardless of the media, you’ll always have those of us/them who enjoy digging in with a bit more than just a casual playthrough/listen/read/watch because that’s just how some of us are wired.    ?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

I can think of only one game that fits this thread for me: BioShock Infinite

I quickly learned the game is mediocre and kept waiting for the story to pick up the slack, but it never did. The praise and high review scores it received is incomprehensible to me.

I'm totally with you on this one.  BIG step back from the original game for me.

Hell I felt that bad about the original Bioshock on PS3.  I didn't like how the eve/attack were juggled which aggravated me immensely, but couple it with the mediocre waiting for it to pick up and never did story I didn't even finish it.  I got pretty far, but the gimmcky play yawn slacking story got me to quit on it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hell I felt that bad about the original Bioshock on PS3.  

Same here.   It was constantly being called "the new System Shock," so I was intrigued.  A friend let me borrow it, and nope... not a fan.  I haven't bothered trying any of the sequels.

Funny thing is, I think that game was the reason I decided it was time to get the new gen console (360) and HD Screen after seeing the first 30 mins or so being played.  Memories a little fuzzy on that part, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Same here.   It was constantly being called "the new System Shock," so I was intrigued.  A friend let me borrow it, and nope... not a fan.  I haven't bothered trying any of the sequels.

Funny thing is, I think that game was the reason I decided it was time to get the new gen console (360) and HD Screen after seeing the first 30 mins or so being played.  Memories a little fuzzy on that part, though.

I could see that.  I didn't buy Bioshock new, at least not at the new price, I got it cheap either way and pushed it that far and just hit a drop the controller. DONE moment.  years later GoG got all 3 of the releases, and the debut was like 80-90% off for a couple days so I grabbed them for almost nothing, and touched them for almost nothing as I figured some time I may try them again.  I look, I kind of poke a stick at it, then I remember I got better stuff to do given the issues. :P

I bought GTA 5, SpiderMan, RedDead Redemption 2 , Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us 2, and Ghost of Tsushima.

The only games I thoroughly enjoyed and had to 100% were GTA 5, SpiderMan qnd God of War. I couldn't get enough. But I have put so much time into SpiderMan.... Miles Morales does appeal to me..... and all of the other games I mentioned I had played betweeen 2-5 hours and just gave up out of boredom.

I did get a PSVR though last year. Resident Evil 7, The Excorcist, Paranormal Activity, Here They Lie, Home Sweet Home all kicked total f@$%!#g ass. Horror in VR is something else. I also put quite abit of time into Doom VFR, BattleZone, and The Persistence. Great games aswell.

No Man's Sky is fantastic in VR.

I feel I am beginning to get tired of these massive open world games. It's all starting to feel the same.

VR is the future. It's the only thing I really find fun anymore.... but I barely play that either. But I really want to play Low-Fi....that game looks dope.

Mainly playing 2600, Phoenix, Neo Geo and occasionally I wreck 5-10 people in a row on WWE 2K19 on PS4 and call it a night. I have no idea why I am as good as I am in this game. 

If I understand your question then it would mean that you tried the game initially because you thought you would like it because everyone else praised it as being amazing?

I’d say Breath of the Wild. I enjoy the mechanics and exploration a little bit. But after exploring a mostly empty world I was bored. I also didn’t enjoy the shrines and wished for real dungeons that were lengthy and more involved. I thought the divine beasts were also just alright.

I’ve forced myself to try and replay it many times. I tried it on Cemu with all of the cheats enabled. Still just a pretty tech demo that I don’t want to spend more than 20 or 30 minutes in every few months.

This is pretty much how I felt about half life 2 at the time except it actually had a story. It was just a story that I couldn’t relate to or didn’t care much about. But those game physics were amazing and fun to play with for 20-30 minutes every now and then.

Breath of The Wild was also another game I spents hours upon hours on. That game was amazing. Another game I saw through to the end.

Truly a masterpiece and possibly the best Zelda game ever released. For me its between BOTW and Ocarina of Time.

I won’t dispute the masterpiece part, but for me I’ll take Wind Waker or Link to the past.

14 hours ago, adamchevy said:

If I understand your question then it would mean that you tried the game initially because you thought you would like it because everyone else praised it as being amazing?

Yeah, pretty much.  Not so much just “gave it a try,” though, I was interested in knowing if anyone went beyond trying it, and actually made the decision to stick with a game and complete it based on some reason of “importance.”

And the “it’s important” bit is wide open, of course.  Not just those games deemed critically important, created a new genre, changed the industry, etc --- but also those games you felt you needed to complete because it was important for personal reasons.  Maybe you made a promise to yourself, or playing through to connect with a friend or family member.  

But yeah, I’m with you on Breath of the Wild.  I plan to give it one more shot, but the couple of times I’ve tried in the past – I don’t think I’ve ever been more bored playing a game.  It’s been a while, but I remember walking around doing virtually nothing.  Weapons breaking to the point of uselessness.   And “dungeons” that were 1 or 2 rooms with no sense of achievement.  And then someone told me there were more than a hundred of those, I dunno.    I’ll give it another try and hope it clicks with me.

13 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I won’t dispute the masterpiece part, but for me I’ll take Wind Waker or Link to the past.

Wind Waker for me as well!   Although I recently played through Skyward Sword for the first time on Switch, and absolutely loved that one too.  Time will tell, but it may replace WW as my favorite 3D Zelda game.  

14 hours ago, sn8k said:

I did get a PSVR though last year. Resident Evil 7, The Excorcist, Paranormal Activity, Here They Lie, Home Sweet Home all kicked total f@$%!#g ass. Horror in VR is something else. I also put quite abit of time into Doom VFR, BattleZone, and The Persistence. Great games aswell.

No Man's Sky is fantastic in VR.

I would highly recommend Astro Bot Rescue mission and Wipeout in VR if you like those types of games.   They are extremely well done. 

14 hours ago, sn8k said:

I tried RE 7 in VR, and couldn't do it.  I was scared to death and nothing had even happened yet  ?  Just walking up to the house, I was like "I can't look in that window..."  I had to quit and play it non-VR.

And honestly, I don't scare easily.  Never played a horror game that really scare me.  Never seen a horror movie that scared me.  But RE7 in VR... couldn't do it.

8 minutes ago, zzip said:

I would highly recommend Astro Bot Rescue mission and Wipeout in VR if you like those types of games.   They are extremely well done. 

Yeah, those were great.

Superhot, Trover, and Blood n' Truth were pretty great, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I tried RE 7 in VR, and couldn't do it.  I was scared to death and nothing had even happened yet  ?  Just walking up to the house, I was like "I can't look in that window..."  I had to quit and play it non-VR.

And honestly, I don't scare easily.  Never played a horror game that really scare me.  Never seen a horror movie that scared me.  But RE7 in VR... couldn't do it.

Same. There was only 2 games that I can say were mildly scary before RE7. 

Silent Hill 1 and 2. And they weren't really scary..... they were kinda scary at times...more tense really.... only because the games binaural audio they were using was technically playing tricks on your brain. Even the hardest of players would feel atleast something at some point in the game even if minimal.

Resident Evils..... never found any of them scary in the slightest. But I loved them all. Great games. Except 6.

Enter Resident Evil 7....... in VR. This was the first game that legitmately scared the f@#% out of me. And it wasn't just moments here and there. It was straight up terror and dread beginning to end.  Yet I couldn't stop playing. Excorcist and Paranormal activity were also quite scary.... had more than a few heart pounding moments.  But RE 7 keeps you in perpetual terror. As expected, RE8 doesn't compare. As all reviews show....but still a good game none the less.....

No movie has ever been able to shake me either. My favorite movie when I was 6 was The Excorcist. And It was mainly because I was fascinated with heaven and hell.... we had a ouija board. Another activity that sometimes can mess with you.

RE 7 is an absolute must play. I'm as physically intimidating as they come. I can break a man with a single look. I can drop you with either hand. I have put people to sleep in holds as a bouncer. But RE7 had me flinching left right and center..... and no one can make me do that it in real life.

Edited by sn8k

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I can handle RE7 in VR .  Yes it's creepy, but nothing really terrifying was happening, so I just kept going with it, I only stopped playing because I got trapped in a hall and couldn't figure out  how to get out.

But "Here they lie"..    I didn't get far in that before I gave up!

On 8/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, wongojack said:

I certainly listen to music based on reviews if it piques my interest.  Usually it's a genre or musicians that already appeal to me, but not always.  The difference between music and the others is that it's very little time commitment, and I can also listen to music while I work or work out or go run errands. It's not something I have to necessarily "set aside time" for like I would with a game, movie, tv show or book.  Even if I do, it's way less time. 

There are also books I would like to read some day because they're classics and probably worth reading, not because I have some inherent interest.  That's a big time commitment though, so it's easy to put off to never... :)

• Like 1

I've never bought a game because it was supposed to be 'important'.

Iv'e picked up stuff that's been universally praised because I tend to think when literally every news source agrees on a game being amazing, it has to be good right? Disappointments in that area from the top of my head:

BotW - really didn't understand the fuss. Empty, repetitive overworld, short, uninteresting shrines, tedious combat....

BioShock - nothing more than an average FPS 

Red Dead Redemption - think I was already tiring of the open-world thing by then, this was the game that finally confirmed it

Skyrim - see BotW, replace 'shires' with 'dungeons'

Doom 2016 - kept reading that this was a return to 'classic' Doom, It wasn't

Largely not in agreement with BOTW as it made Zelda fresh and fun again, not some dry re-run over the decades.  The rest though, totally...stuff like that is largely why I can't trust the media anymore. They get all ginned up on blowing developers for freebies, being ordered to do so like some scandals we've seen over the years, or it's just a bad case of fanboy-itis causing blinders.  Even IGN realized it some years back when they'd have their staff re-review games a year later and suddenly those high 9s-10 rated games were getting 7s... says a lot, and a middle finger to the deception.

Doom 2016 for instance, as you said, it's NOT.  The fact they re-structured entirely the base mechanics of the game into some forced canned bullshit at close range and no less with utterly very limited resource (fuel for the chainsaw) just so you can get enough ammo pick ups to survive the game, even on easier levels of difficulty was a crime as much as finding randomly hidden portals just to get basic abilities in the game too.  It made the game this sectioned off fetch quest mixed with forced mechanics to play...well beyond colored door keys into the stupid realm.  It's why I do not own the sequel.  RDR was just garbage, GUN did it better, didn't have a bunch of GTA cloned hateful stuff with bad control and tight time limited to have to get pissed and re-run crap endlessly among other defects in design.  Skyrim and BS need no explanation, they get run over the coals plenty and deserve it.

I can throw another, I picked up Dark Souls wanting to really give it a fair try, I found it kind of stiff, not so much aggravating with difficulty.  The mechanics weren't hard, but the poor camera handling and other oddties sucked the fun out.  I liked the enemies and areas enough.  I eventually dumped it, got really tired of the game as it felt like the monsters could always move better than the player model was capable of as quickly at least.

• Like 1