IGNORED

Ever made yourself play a game you didn’t like because it’s “important?”

Razzie.P

12 hours ago, Parker77 said:

I've never bought a game because it was supposed to be 'important'.

Iv'e picked up stuff that's been universally praised because I tend to think when literally every news source agrees on a game being amazing, it has to be good right? Disappointments in that area from the top of my head:

BotW - really didn't understand the fuss. Empty, repetitive overworld, short, uninteresting shrines, tedious combat....

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Largely not in agreement with BOTW as it made Zelda fresh and fun again, 

I think some who think BOTW was fresh and a big deal, think that because zelda had the same jank controls and design since 1998, some elements before even that.

They also get a plus for making the change without problems.

But outside that I dont get the hype. It just seems to be an above average partially generic Open Action game we've seen already with several shortfalls which were conveniently ignored in some reviews.

Some people were making it out like it was a revolution in game design and changed everything when it didn't. I mean it's not a bad game but holy cow people were going crazy when the game was newer.

I don't think BOTW itself was fresh, but the change from the tired re-run it was stuck in to a new style was fresh, that's all.  I dislike usually open world games, I get bored fast, but this one kept me going to go over 50hours to see the end, so that says a lot.  I don't hate Zelda, but having played every last one of them, I found myself getting bored with little to no changes to the format, I got less and less deep into the games as they came out.

It's no revolution, much like anything in the end they've made, but they take what worked ok/great(even bad) and took it in another angle that works fantastic and made it a whole other level of fun.  Breath of the Wild had me turn a 180 on blowing off future releases and sticking to just reading manga or whatever.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (actually Re:Chain of Memories).  I started playing it because it's part of the series and has some of the most important plot points of all the side games.  I got about half way through and quit.  I just couldn't wrap my head around the weird card battle system (completely different than anything else in the series) and really wasn't enjoying it at all.  Thankfully since the invention of the internet I don't have to slog through games I hate just to see the story.  I ended up watching all the cut scenes on youtube and went to the next game.  Bless the people who make those videos.

The funny thing is I hear some people say Chain of Memories is their favorite game of the entire series.  CoM has to be the first game in 20+ years that I quit because I just couldn't get the hang of the gameplay.  Then again I didn't try particularly hard as it annoyed me from the start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (actually Re:Chain of Memories).  I started playing it because it's part of the series and has some of the most important plot points of all the side games.  I got about half way through and quit.  I just couldn't wrap my head around the weird card battle system (completely different than anything else in the series) and really wasn't enjoying it at all.  Thankfully since the invention of the internet I don't have to slog through games I hate just to see the story.  I ended up watching all the cut scenes on youtube and went to the next game.  Bless the people who make those videos.

The funny thing is I hear some people say Chain of Memories is their favorite game of the entire series.  CoM has to be the first game in 20+ years that I quit because I just couldn't get the hang of the gameplay.  Then again I didn't try particularly hard as it annoyed me from the start.

I have this through the XBox collection and wholeheartedly agree.  I *wanted* to like it but uggggh.

16 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I have this through the XBox collection and wholeheartedly agree.  I *wanted* to like it but uggggh.

The card based attack system is interesting (although explained poorly) and I've seen something similar in other games, but combining card attacks with an action game is insane.  I can't run away from enemies while simultaneously trying to shuffle through my deck to find the correct attack card to counter whatever number card the enemy is using.  If you're going for cards then make it turn based! 

Yeah I agree the Zelda formula was getting stale, and I can see why Ninty went with a fresh approach, just didn't float my boat. Funnily enough, not having played one since Wind Waker, I think I'd be down for a traditional Zelda these days.

I just purchased Skyward Sword for the Wii and I am really enjoying it. The colors are a bit bright for sure, but the traditional Zelda style is wonderful to me after playing breath of the Wild. I’ve tried to play BOTW 3 different times and after 20 hours I’m totally bored. I recently realized this is because of the way it tells the story. In most Zelda games you are living and playing the story as you progress. In BOTW the story already happened and you are left alone to adventure at your whim. It’s fun but loses a lot of that Zelda charm because of this openness and past story that already happened for one hundred years while you were asleep.

Skyward Sword is the birth story of the entire Zelda Franchise. I have truly enjoyed the motion controls and real dungeons that are deep and explorative. I feel like a moron that I skipped this one over the years because of my incorrect views and misconceptions. Nintendo really made a great game and I am glad to be playing it.

It looks pretty good on the Wii U with an Mclassic. I may need to purchase an Oled switch to play the HD version of this game.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

The card based attack system is interesting (although explained poorly) and I've seen something similar in other games, but combining card attacks with an action game is insane.  I can't run away from enemies while simultaneously trying to shuffle through my deck to find the correct attack card to counter whatever number card the enemy is using.  If you're going for cards then make it turn based! 

100%!  Again, I went through the same thing exactly as you describe.  Neat games, but my goodness.  I was hoping to run them all in order but ended up shelving them just in favor of playing the 'big ones'.  I still need to finish KH3...

I had Chain of Memories original GBA release and bailed on it too.  It's honestly my only Kingdom Hearts experience as I guess it soured me, but I also just wasn't huge on the whole gameplay element of the regular one PS2 had too.  The card shuffling was terrible constantly getting whacked with damage hoping using a move would shuffle in one that actually worked on a target BUT it also needed the superior number on the card to beat out the enemy if it countered(which it did a lot) so it ended up getting quite infuriating.  I tried it twice, bailed on it twice, got fairly far both times but it just sucks the fun out of it.

11 hours ago, digdugnate said:

100%!  Again, I went through the same thing exactly as you describe.  Neat games, but my goodness.  I was hoping to run them all in order but ended up shelving them just in favor of playing the 'big ones'.  I still need to finish KH3...

So I guess you didn't play "Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days" then... ??

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 3:53 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

It's a weird game. I still have not decided if I think it's boring or excellent. It is definitely more enjoyable on a second playthrough, I think. I do intensely dislike doing side quests in any game, and Death Stranding's are no different; I did enjoy the game a lot more when I skipped the side quests on my second playthrough, but you do get good things from them, like better vehicles.

I'm (hopefully) near the end of Death Stranding... 

Initially i got on very well with it, which surprised me as i had given up on some of the Yakuza games, Shen Mue II etc as I found the tedium overload too much to slog through. 

I'm at the point where main missions involve various folk thinking they can trace back the origins of the Death Stranding events, cue delivering X, Y and Z  to people in the mountain wilderness environment. 

It's turned into an absolute slog-fest.

The B. T's are now in large packs, encounters usually end up with me getting swarmed dragged under the tar, facing 2 of those tar-lion creatures with next to no weaponry, then skipping the rebirth sequence so i can load an earlier save. 

The saddest part is, the WWI and WWII themed beach stages, I bloody loved and it infuriates me that despite saying he'd love to do a MGS game set in WW2, Hideo never did anything of the type. 

I've skipped the side missions as I just want to get my money's worth, finish the game and move on.