IGNORED

Atari 2600 RGB MOD & Sega model 2 Rad2X

tijuanamidas

Good afternoon,

Just finished a RGB mod for my 2600 heavy sixer... Did a full clean and update from console 5 kit..  Have checked all my connections and can only get B&W from the rad2x... I wired in a 9pin sega model 2 din... The image is clean just B&W.

Did not want to cut holes in my unit..

Does the rad2x just not like working with the RGB mod?

Does it need the 9pin to scart? I have a Framemeister also.

Thank you.

Did you wire up the composite output from the RGB mod to the 9-pin composite input pin? Far as I know the Rad2x, Retrotink devices, and the HDretrovision cables all require the composite sync and may not work with the sync coming from the RGB board. So you might try moving the Sync wire to the composite output pin and see if that helps at all?

Thanks... I'll try that... Yes wired sync from the RGB mod to the sync pin 5 and composite to pin 4... below is the diagram i used for the plug...

Side note I have some of the Silver label 2600 game carts and they all play in color then if i use the black label/activision carts they are in grey scale black and white.  Genesis A/V Pinout

Interesting, I had another tech that installed one of these not too long ago running into the same issue with Activision games. Specifically, River Raid was giving him the most issues. We finally figured out that the RGB board was thinking the games were PAL and basically generating a PAL output signal that the TV was only showing black and white for. Did you wire in the second function button to the RGB board? That allows you to do things like enabled/disable the RGB board, Disable auto PAL/NTSC detection, Pause enable/disable...stuff like that.

No..no. The button ont he controller will ONLY control the palette switching. I'm talking about the two additional pads near the right side of the pin layout for a secondary button that you normally install on the console itself. That is how you control and enable/disable additional functions.

If you pay attention to the RGB board when the games load up, I believe the color of the LED on the board will tell which mode it loads up in. I want to say Red for NTSC and Green for PAL? But I might be wrong about that.

OSo.  I swapped the composite and sync and still the black carts are black and white.   

the silver label is color.  The below is the install. 

I opened jp1 to see if it did anything but still the same

held the option switch for 25sec.  Does not seem change anything.  Led does blink red on power up

7B17CB15-5D21-4FF8-9639-8BFC398594C0.jpeg

F91A79F9-CA8F-41B4-A98C-E502B4521B26.jpeg

6A61883C-4546-4F48-8C17-42975836CD1E.jpeg

0F839724-A122-4C42-A148-60E5CA5CD1F2.jpeg

D5B38FB2-A9BB-43C1-91CD-91299949225A.jpeg

2C33B142-3B1B-4005-9A13-87830670FA8D.jpeg

A4B2C86F-6750-4AA0-9C5F-1D8D1E006628.jpeg

8 hours ago, tijuanamidas said:

So I have solved the issue... There was a problem with the B&W switch... There was a short and the unit was stuck in B&W mode...  I went threw all traces and rebuilt the switch...

The all was good... Thank you for the help.

Doh! Didn't even dawn on me to have you check that. But your clue about the silver label games being in color was the tip off. Most of the earlier games have black n white modes on them as do many of the Activision titles. Later made 2600 games like those from the silver label era didn't or used the black n white switch as an additional function button.

Glad you got it all sorted out though!