IGNORED

VCS Game Maker - Generate bBasic code with a visual tool.

haroldoop

Hello;

I am currently implementing a tool named "VCS Game Maker".

This online tool is a no-code environment designed to allow someone to create a game for Atari 2600 without knowing much about programming and without installing anything on their computer.

You can use it online on itch.io: https://haroldo-ok.itch.io/vcs-game-maker

Source code is available on Github: https://github.com/haroldo-ok/vcs-game-maker

It uses Blockly to allow the user to implement the logic using blocks and then, behind the scenes, generates a Batari Basic source code, that is then be compiled using batari-basic-js in order to generate an Atari 2600 ROM, which is then emulated using Javatari.

So far, it is a work in progress, with only an event editor with just a few commands. The "if" block and math operations work okay, the joystick reading and access to the players/missiles and balls seem OK so far.

screenshot.thumb.png.be1294474c88ac9f999656316ac612b3.png

Edited by haroldoop
Corrected typo.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

This is awesome. My son has been learning block coding in school and has expressed an interest in making games after seeing the Switch release of Game Builder Garage (he seemed less interested in learning BASIC like I did back in the day). 

I look forward to seeing more of this!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KevKelley said:

This is awesome. My son has been learning block coding in school and has expressed an interest in making games after seeing the Switch release of Game Builder Garage (he seemed less interested in learning BASIC like I did back in the day). 

I look forward to seeing more of this!

Thanks for the interest! ;)

BTW, version 0.2.0 has just been released; not much done here, just a block for collision checking.

Hello, again;

Version 0.5.0 is now available!

Updates since the previous release:

• 0.4.0: generated bBasic code is now displayed on its own page; as a side bonus, the action editor now has more space on screen;
  • 0.5.0: now, it is possible to import and export projects.

Captura de Tela (9).png

4 hours ago, sn8k said:

Woah?!!? I'm gonna be able to make Atari games?

Because I don't know shit when it comes to programming or coding. 

Can you put it on cart when you're done?

Yes, you should be able to make simple games, even if you don't know anything about programming.

As for putting into a cart, the tool already allows you to export the game into an Atari 2600 ROM file; it should be able to run on most emulators and, in theory, the ROM file should be able to run on real hardware, too.

Edited by haroldoop
Corrected typo.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I was hoping I could use your info to compile and run programs made with an online DPC+ tool I'm working on, but it seems Javatari still can't run DPC+ programs.

One workaround would be to compile Stella into WebAssembly using Emscripten, or a similar cross-compiler. Retro JS seems to include a version of Stella ready to compile into WebAssembly, though it is 6 years old, meaning it could need extra work to update to a DPC+ compatible version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, teh_supar_hackr said:

Never thought I'd see code blocks be usable to make 2600 games! 

Yes, while, in theory, Blockly can be adapted to generate code for any programming language, trying to create a 1:1 correspondence with the target language will create something that's unconfortable to use.

The trick is to step back a bit and create blocks that are abstract enough to be used simply, without having to add too many blocks to the program.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, haroldoop said:

Yes, while, in theory, Blockly can be adapted to generate code for any programming language, trying to create a 1:1 correspondence with the target language will create something that's unconfortable to use.

The trick is to step back a bit and create blocks that are abstract enough to be used simply, without having to add too many blocks to the program.

Thanks for the tip, even if I'll most likely attempt to learn with VisualbB. I'll probably still give the Blockly based utility a look.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, haroldoop said:

Version 0.10.0 has been released!

This adds support for multiple backgrounds: now, it is possible to design multiple backgrounds and choose which of them to use.

Late reply, but does that mean we could have a game similar to Adventure or Pitfall maybe? Keep up the great work anyway though. 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, r_chase said:

Late reply, but does that mean we could have a game similar to Adventure or Pitfall maybe? Keep up the great work anyway though. 👍

This is batari BASIC with coding blocks instead of just typing things in.  So, sure you can do it but it'd just be slower to input.  Or, you can try hacking Adventure with a utility (See below)

The value in a Scratch / code blocks interface is that people completely new to coding can see what coding is without worrying about syntax errors and other self imposed boo boos :)

• Like 2