IGNORED

Connecting ZIP drive to Falcon

Can anyone walk me through connecting a Zip drive (250 meg) to my Falcon?  Finally found the proper SCSI-2 cable so I can connect the two devices, however there is a SCSI select switch that sets ID to 5 or 6, the documentation states SCSI HDs (which I assume the zip would be) must be set to 0.  So, right now I am a bit flummoxed, I did note that users here have done this and get it to work, is there something else I need to do, mount the drive with the hard drive utility or something?  Thanks.

I am bit confused did you try pressing the switch more than one time in one direction and then try going the other way and yes the switches can be a bit stubborn sometimes.

Should be no problem setting the drive from 0 to 7, But then again I never had a Zip drive what I do have is Iomega V1000SI 1GB Jazz SCSI Drive connected to my Atari Falcon.

1 hour ago, Chri O. said:

Oh I see here is the picture of the back on iomega zip drive indeed this looks strange for a scsi device?

1227990896_zipdrivepicback.thumb.jpg.9b2d6c6dc906d59e1714dbaa8e59304e.jpg

That's the standard for IOMEGA, you just have the choice of 5 or 6.

Select the one you want, just ensure that it is not in use by a CD drive or a Scanner on the SCSI chain.

Then, you must run your Hard Disk Driver to configure it properly: ensure that the unit 5 (or 6...) is selected and that it will be checked at start.

Then you can set it as a removable unit for a proper refresh at every media change.

I have one on my TTs and it runs fine with HDdrive 10.x

Guillaume.

Edited by moulinaie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Randy said:
7 hours ago, Randy said:

the documentation states SCSI HDs (which I assume the zip would be) must be set to 0. 

Each SCSI device on the bus must have a unique identifier, it is usual the have your boot drive set to '0' then

any other device(s) have their own ID with the exception of ID '7' that's usually reserved for the controller.

Any drive can be the boot device, this is set in the config software.

9 hours ago, moulinaie said:

Select the one you want, just ensure that it is not in use by a CD drive or a Scanner on the SCSI chain.

Then, you must run your Hard Disk Driver to configure it properly: ensure that the unit 5 (or 6...) is selected and that it will be checked at start.

Then you can set it as a removable unit for a proper refresh at every media change.

Guillaume.

So in effect I need to run HDdrive to "mount" the Zip drive, correct?  Will that have any effect on the IDE drive in the Falcon?  I ask because the main reason for this is to copy the HD contents to the zip drive, pull the drive and install a CF card, and then copy back the contents from the Zip onto the CF card as well as prepare a new main boot partition.  Really can't use a lot of the material on the HD but don't want to dump it either, may find those programs useful in the future as I become familiar with the Falcon.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, Chri O. said:

On all my scsi devices I always had switches like this: 469326203_scsiidswitch.thumb.jpg.cff855215858c4a3eb2e301db296b3a4.jpg

Hi Chri, did you just connect this device directly to the Falcon or TT without having to mount the drive or do anything at all, like running HDdriver?  The Falcon manual seems to indicate that all I need is to connect to the SCSI and set the drive to "1", there is no mention of installing software to the external SCSI device.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, moulinaie said:

Guillaume.

Hi molinaie, what I would like to do is to have the zip drive attached to the Falcon via the SCSI port.  When I attach the zip drive, do I need to run HDdrive then and then what?  If you could provide a step-by-step procedure to do this, that would be great!  I want to make sure that running any HDdriver software will not erase or damage the software on the internal IDE drive, which I am looking to copy/back up onto the Zip drive.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Randy said:

Hi molinaie, what I would like to do is to have the zip drive attached to the Falcon via the SCSI port.  When I attach the zip drive, do I need to run HDdrive then and then what?  If you could provide a step-by-step procedure to do this, that would be great!  I want to make sure that running any HDdriver software will not erase or damage the software on the internal IDE drive, which I am looking to copy/back up onto the Zip drive.  Thanks!

Hi,

Run once HDDRIVE ans select DEVICES AND PARTITIONS:

DUMP_000.thumb.png.e24c938a2060940950b917c5d9e42172.png

Clic on the the drives you want to be scanned at boot time (Here on my TT you can see that unit 0 (HD), unit 2 (scanner) and unit 5 (ZIP) are ON.

Reboot.

Then, your ZIP must be recongnized (you can see it in the list at boot time).

If your hard drive has, let's say, 3 partitionc C:, D : and E:, then your ZIP will be drive F:.

You can insert a disk and open the  drive (if you're on the TOS desktop, you can use Alt+F to open drive F).

If it doesn't seem to be read, then you must format the drive.

Run HDDrive agan and select the ZIP drive and PARTITION. I always use "TOS+DOS compatibility for exchanges with the PC).

DUMP_001.thumb.png.ff0f3ec28b0c5ad1d3123fecb6cd95d7.png

Good luck!

Guillaume.

14 hours ago, Randy said:

Hi Guillaume, well this is bad!  Every time I run HDDriver I get a TOS 35 error, even when just booting from the floppy!  What is going on?

Isn't it a faulty PRG file?

Try to get it from the original disk, I think it is corrupted.

Guillaume.