IGNORED

Chiki Chiki Boys! An awesome arcade Platformer

awbacon

Platfomers had a decent run in arcades in the 80s, but I think part of the issue for them not seeing quite as much love as other genres was that arcades gave you more power to play with, so that's where many devs decided to do something different, while console limitations made it a bit easier to just churn lots of those out. That especially became true when 3D became a thing. 

But another problem that is more 'inside baseball' is that platformers are almost always single player games, and those struggle to earn better than a 2p/3p/4p co-op or vs. title. When something didn't earn well in the biz, arcade operators wouldn't buy it, so it was harder to find. 

Another great Capcom arcade platformer: Willow. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

On 7/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Platfomers had a decent run in arcades in the 80s, but I think part of the issue for them not seeing quite as much love as other genres was that arcades gave you more power to play with, so that's where many devs decided to do something different, while console limitations made it a bit easier to just churn lots of those out. That especially became true when 3D became a thing. 

But another problem that is more 'inside baseball' is that platformers are almost always single player games, and those struggle to earn better than a 2p/3p/4p co-op or vs. title. When something didn't earn well in the biz, arcade operators wouldn't buy it, so it was harder to find. 

Another great Capcom arcade platformer: Willow. 

oh how I HATE Willow lolol

• Haha 1

It's probably because there are not a lot of arcade platformers to begin with, but I find difficult to play that kind of game with an arcade stick, even a game like Metal Slug. But then again, probably because I'm used to play it with a traditional controller.

And by the way, the video doesn't work for me. ?

On 7/29/2021 at 2:35 AM, roots.genoa said:

It's probably because there are not a lot of arcade platformers to begin with, but I find difficult to play that kind of game with an arcade stick, even a game like Metal Slug. But then again, probably because I'm used to play it with a traditional controller.

And by the way, the video doesn't work for me. ?

weird. Not sure why the link didn't work