IGNORED

Installing Ubuntu and AMD Drivers

zzip

I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my VCS.   This is actually the first time I've done it on a system with AMD graphics,   I've used nVidia for years.

Anyway-  for nVidia, the default open source drivers that most distros ship with are crap-  they always leave unwanted visual artifacts on my desktop, so you want to install the official proprietary drivers from nVidia.

Is it a similar situation with AMD where there's a better set of graphics drivers than distros ship with?   I ask because one of the games I ran popped up a warning that I had embedded graphics and I should make sure I update the drivers.    Also some programs I wrote using SDL aren't displaying properly in full screen mode, so I wonder if that's a driver issue, or bad code I wrote :)    They work on nVidia though.

AMD offer both open and closed source drivers, but the general consensus would be that there's little point to using the latter as - unlike Nvidia - the open source driver offers all the GPU features and good performance.

Updating the drivers is always worth a go though.

Edited by Matt_B