IGNORED

New CV Power Supply?

Tempest

I also have one of these PSUs in my game room. I've only had occasional noise from it when I was using my composite output on my CV. But even then it wasn't consistent. Haven't seen any noise or issues through my RGB output though.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Do either of you have an AV mod or are you running stock CV?

I only have access to my CollectorVision Phoenix so I haven't tried the new power supply with an actual ColecoVision console.  I'm looking to buy a replacement ColecoVision console since my old one was damaged.  But the old one I had wasn't modded.  The power supply I bought from the eBay seller was so I can hook up the Roller Controller to it and play Slither, so I know it works with that at least. 

2 hours ago, Ruggers Customs said:

You can get your original power supply rebuilt for about half what a new one will cost.  

Really?  I assumed it would cost more given you have to crack them open and all that.  I think I told you on FB what my power supply was doing with the plug being wonky.  My only thing about having my PS rebuilt is how long are the components going to be good for?  Fix the plug today and are the caps going to fail tomorrow?  

I assume you do power supply repair?

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

I'm 99% sure that power supply is sold by the resident wall of text poster and sd wafer/SGM scalper. 

this is correct but I didn't have any issues when I purchased mine and it arrived really quickly. I use it at the main PSU in my game room and use a ColUSB in my workbench for servicing since it is sooo much smaller and space is critical on a work bench.

• Like 1

In before that dude shows up and posts a 7 page thesis on why his power supply is so awesome.. 

When mine shit the bed,  I replaced it with a run of the mill,  switching arcade power supply.  Not pretty to look at,  but does the job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is what powers my Colecovision. I like it. It gets the job done and it looks nice, especially with the Coleco sticker on it. ColUSB is another option but that little thing gets too hot for my liking. It's probably fine and I'm overreacting but when I touched it......it was uncomfortably hot. I don't know how hot things are allowed to get before melting or blowing up but it was a level of heat I want nowhere near a console that is older than me by 6 years. It was hotter than any adaptor  I have ever touched after hours of gaming...... I never played longer than an hour with the thing and it gets that hot? Playing Genesis or 2600 for 5 hours straight would probably give you the level of heat ColUSB produces in an hour.

2 hours ago, 4300 said:

In before that dude shows up and posts a 7 page thesis on why his power supply is so awesome.. 

When mine shit the bed,  I replaced it with a run of the mill,  switching arcade power supply.  Not pretty to look at,  but does the job. 

LOL He does do that. But so far.....his power supply has done exactly what he said it would do for me. It works. 

Normally I don't. But Colecovision in it's original form isn't the most reliable thing out there. Power switch and adaptor are known to crap out or be in need of definite overhaul when buying second hand. So yeah, I had to read about that shit to know how to get a Colecovision that would have no issues. Because Ive had 3 die on me or cease to work for one reason or another. 

Nothing to worry about now, Ruggers set me up nicely. The CV I got now runs like a champ and has amazing video signal. Helps off loading some of that game time to the Phoenix. 

I have never researched a console more than CV. And that was just figuring out the best way to avoid all the finicky shit it's known for.

• Like 1

I understand and respect everyone’s gripes with the issues that are widely experienced with the ColecoVision, but I have to ask “What was the rated life expectancy of each and every component used in the CV?”. I would venture a non-educated guess between 5-10 years and here we are, almost 40 years out.

I guess I’ve really been one of the lucky ones seeing as since I got back into actual hardware in 2010, all the CVs that I’ve acquired (10?) and all but 1 ADAM (15?) have worked properly from initial testing with the exception of 1 Memory Console that couldn’t read or write to Data Drives, 2 Data Drives that needed repair and some controllers that needed some TLC. I got a feeling that if I had an extra DD firmware rom to swap in on the ADAM PCB in that Memory Console that it could have been fixed, but as it stood, it worked great with disk drives and CV mode was flawless.

22 hours ago, Tempest said:

I guess it's the plug on my power supply that's worn.  Is there anyone that fixes these?  I assume that would be cheaper than spending $60+ on a new power supply

Definitely the plug end on your CV that is worn. It is quite loose in both of my CVs I have in addition to yours that I have at the Tower currently.