MrBeefy

Interview with Nick Richards COO/CFO

Great interview with Nick Richards COO/CFO of Intellivision Entertainment. There was a lot of new things that have not been discussed before.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, themewsh said:

The calm, measured, precise responses...make this guy the face.

Yeah I think this interview had more clear information than any Intellivision interview for the past year. Some of the new things goes with some of the concerns people had about some of the recent footage.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Good interview, and thanks for sharing. Lots to work through, and I'm really only just starting. But this is a mentality that gets lost with the hardcore gaming community: "'. . .games are too hard' seems wishy-washy."

No it isn't, it really is true. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I consider myself a gamer, although I only play my Xbox One maybe 2 times a month (if even that). When I played Red Dead Redemption II, it took me nearly 50 minutes to find the exact right spot to stand in to get to the next action in the game in one spot. That's not fun for people, and exactly what is meant with that statement. It might be second nature for many, but the majority of non-gamers and the audience Amico is targeting, it makes games completely unapproachable.

Edited by squirrelgotdead

3 hours ago, themewsh said:

Adulting at its finest!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, themewsh said:

This is typical expected behavior of a CFO though. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, PeterPepper said:

I thought he came off professionally and did so well that he should do more.

• Like 1

Without a doubt the best interview so far of an Intellivision representative.  Much respect for Nick for being extremely transparent and answering the questions honestly.  This is how interviews should have been conducted from the start. 

• Like 4

On 7/23/2021 at 4:52 PM, PeterPepper said:

It should be expected behavior from all members of the C-suite…

• Like 5

But what if one of your C-suite shows significant tendencies to narcissism?

...oops, did I say too much?

oops GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

But what if one of your C-suite shows significant tendencies to narcissism?

...oops, did I say too much?

oops GIF

Typically it's been my experience people are placed in positions they can do the least amount of damage, but this doesn't seem to apply.

This interview is exactly how the interviews for this project should've been done the entirety of the project.  Very nice one.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, themewsh said:

Can't agree there.  Tommy appears and behaves like a cross between Ron Popeil and the villain from an 80s teen comedy, and the Cadre of Cringe he's assembled around this thing is bizarre to the point of being borderline disturbing, but no matter how grating his whole shtick is, the dude's a real live human and not a stuffed suit.

Professional, smrofessional.  I don't have any interest in playing armchair executive for companies that produce the consumer toys I buy.  The oddball, slightly shady pitchman with a personality that repels and fascinates in turn is an Ameican institution, and I enjoy seeing someone swim against the current of the depressingly over-corporatization of everything in gaming.

You can think he's full of shit (I do), and that his product is a rip-off (looking that way), but let's face it; this thing wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of attention that it does if it weren't for all Tommy's antics.  Hell, I'm almost certainly the "not interested" camp for at least the first year after it comes out, but I can't look away from this shitshow, either, and I do end up looking at the product quite a lot in the meantime.  You don't get 1,000+ pages of chatter here and elsewhere about a also-ran product that doesn't even exist yet from a calm, measured (I truly hate this adjective), precise, responsible executive.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Always a place for a hype man. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_man

Lets look at it like this. 

Tommy is Flava Flav.   Yeeewahhh boooyyyyu!

Nick Richards is Chuck D. 

(no offense to the parties involved). Lololol

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Rev said:

Tommy is Flava Flav.   Yeeewahhh boooyyyyu!

Turns out Flava Flav is actually a decent musican, and the only one of the lot with any real musical knowledge.  I guess the label wanted them to kick him out at one point, but Chuck D stuck up for him on that basis, so he stayed in.

So, it turns out all the Grug brains that thought Flav was the coolest all along were correct.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:13 AM, Rev said:

Tommy is Flava Flav.

Except Flava Flav is never late thanks to his convenient clock necklace. ;)

• Haha 4

This man should have conducted the interview. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yarzzz said:

This man should have conducted the interview. 

He was invited to the Intellivision Entertainment office but declined.

26 minutes ago, mr_me said:

And risk getting trapped in the hater dungeon? No way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Pat also declined to interview Tommy on his show. Pat says he was too cowardly to ask Tommy tough questions to his face, but is okay insulting him with him not there to make a reply.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Pat also declined to interview Tommy on his show. Pat says he was too cowardly to ask Tommy tough questions to his face, but is okay insulting him with him not there to make a reply.

Well, nobody gets to see Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant lock up 'les it's on Pay-Per-View, right?

Bit of a silly analogy, but it benefits both men to continue this feud at the distance it is for a while.  It's obviously good for Pat; generates clicks and gives him fodder for videos.  It's good for Tommy also, since he can present himself and his company as the plucky yet beleaguered upstarts trying to bring fun to the masses despite all these deranged haters who just want to rain on others' parade just for the sake of it.

What does either man have to gain from doing a cAlM, MeAsUrEd interview?  Intellivision have their own YT channeland people pay attention to it; if Tommy had anything new or interesting to reveal, he'd have shown it by now.  What's Pat going to ask Tommy that he hasn't already been asked here and elsewhere?  Tommy's going to balk on anything he doesn't want to answer, and he's going to do it skillfully enough that he won't come off as a total corporate shill.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, MrTrust said:

Well, nobody gets to see Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant lock up 'les it's on Pay-Per-View, right?

Bit of a silly analogy, but it benefits both men to continue this feud at the distance it is for a while.  It's obviously good for Pat; generates clicks and gives him fodder for videos.  It's good for Tommy also, since he can present himself and his company as the plucky yet beleaguered upstarts trying to bring fun to the masses despite all these deranged haters who just want to rain on others' parade just for the sake of it.

What does either man have to gain from doing a cAlM, MeAsUrEd interview?  Intellivision have their own YT channeland people pay attention to it; if Tommy had anything new or interesting to reveal, he'd have shown it by now.  What's Pat going to ask Tommy that he hasn't already been asked here and elsewhere?  Tommy's going to balk on anything he doesn't want to answer, and he's going to do it skillfully enough that he won't come off as a total corporate shill.

I don't see why people still care what Pat thinks or that he did or didn't play the console. The product should be able to speak for itself. The interviews are a waste of time for everyone. The console should have been relevant almost 10 months ago. It is show time, not tell.

Reworking controls for a pack in 10 months after initial launch date makes it seem they don't have a ton to show and really need to talk to keep excitement up. Giving a console to journalists, without an IE employee looking over their shoulders for hands on impressions would go a long way.

Playdate did that and I think it really helped their preorders. Playdate got more preorders in a shorter amount of time than Amico and it is a niche product. I think it did that because they showed (gave journalists) units to play and then write about. Them not giving consoles to journalists make it look like they aren't ready, or afraid of what the mainstream coverage would say about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I don't see why people still care what Pat thinks or that he did or didn't play the console. The product should be able to speak for itself. The interviews are a waste of time for everyone. The console should have been relevant almost 10 months ago. It is show time, not tell.

Reworking controls for a pack in 10 months after initial launch date makes it seem they don't have a ton to show and really need to talk to keep excitement up. Giving a console to journalists, without an IE employee looking over their shoulders for hands on impressions would go a long way.

Playdate did that and I think it really helped their preorders. Playdate got more preorders in a shorter amount of time than Amico and it is a niche product. I think it did that because they showed (gave journalists) units to play and then write about. Them not giving consoles to journalists make it look like they aren't ready, or afraid of what the mainstream coverage would say about it.

I think that strategy went straight out the window when the IGN ME journalist got to play around with Shark Shark and it lagged like shit shit 🤣

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Wow, one podcast show sure has alot of power over people. It can clearly make or break a console launch. Who woulda known?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MarioMan88 said:

I think that strategy went straight out the window when the IGN ME journalist got to play around with Shark Shark and it lagged like shit shit 🤣

He actually said the opposite, he said the gameplay had no lag.

Edited by mr_me
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

He actually said the opposite, he said the gameplay had no lag.

He also said the screen lagged. Two different lags, one present, one not.