IGNORED

WiiMote to Atari joystick adapter

mulcmu

5464491626645896613.thumb.JPG.08daeb0c830c6cea89a5d6160dedb0a7.JPG

In an effort to increase the distance of busy little hands from vintage hardware, I created an adapter that lets a WiiMote be used as a wireless controller.  The current hardware supports two joysticks (directions, trigger, and both potentiometer signals) and uses an ESP32 for the bluetooth connection to WiiMote.  Proof of concept Arduino code is working with one WiiMote that outputs to both joystick connectors.  More details on hardware and design here:

I am looking for some community support to help with the ESP32 code development.  I have been unable to get multiple WiiMotes working with any of the existing Arduino libraries.  Send me a PM if you are interested in contributing.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The BlueRetro project has the functionality for the other Bluetooth gamepads and HID devices.  I did not see where it could support the analog paddle controls but could have missed that.  Forking that code, and remapping the outputs to the right place on the  i2c bus is one path forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ascrnet said:

the idea is good but you have to have a wiimote?, it would be nice if it was bluetooth for any type of gamepad. ?

This one at least works with Wiimote and Nintendo pro controller among others. Not universal, though

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Retro-Bluetooth-Receiver-Original-Genesis/dp/B07MSWGSJY/ref=sr_1_15

It requires a modification to make it work with Atari:

In summary, an Universal Bluetooth to Atari controller (DIY) is needed.

Edited by manterola

On 7/23/2021 at 12:31 PM, mulcmu said:

The BlueRetro project has the functionality for the other Bluetooth gamepads and HID devices.  I did not see where it could support the analog paddle controls but could have missed that.  Forking that code, and remapping the outputs to the right place on the  i2c bus is one path forward.

BlueRetro dev here,

My project support all current Bluetooth classic (BR/EDR) controllers (mouse & KB too), with up to 7 simultaneous controller. (And working right now on adding BLE controller support)

Atari 2600/7800 is supported but only joystick so far. I plan to eventually add analog input too (for paddle, 5200 etc) but haven't worked on it yet.

• Like 1

There is already a device available from Mq user (the same as Flob game) that you can connect SNES/nes controllers. Once you have it just add 8bitdo receiver for snes and all wireless modern controllers work;) 

https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/

https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5671

Edited by mikesk8