IGNORED

PS1 Diablo

Just got a near mint condition copy of Diablo for PS this week! Started playing it for the first time today, and while the controls are definitely something that will take some getting used to, I'm excited about how fun it is. Obviously, it's not as smooth or streamlined as Diablo III, but I see some potential in here. Looking forward to digging into this some more this weekend. I started as a Warrior, and I don't really know the appropriate path to leveling up, is it smart to just dump most of your points in Strength and Vitality?

I had to completely wipe a memory card for this, the game wants the entire thing! Luckily, I still had a card I could sacrifice.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Just got a near mint condition copy of Diablo for PS this week! Started playing it for the first time today, and while the controls are definitely something that will take some getting used to, I'm excited about how fun it is. Obviously, it's not as smooth or streamlined as Diablo III, but I see some potential in here. Looking forward to digging into this some more this weekend. I started as a Warrior, and I don't really know the appropriate path to leveling up, is it smart to just dump most of your points in Strength and Vitality?

I had to completely wipe a memory card for this, the game wants the entire thing! Luckily, I still had a card I could sacrifice.

PS1 Diablo is best played multiplayer. ;)

The controls actually are great for that style of game.  And to be honest, it's the version I prefer to play despite having it on PC too.  The PC game was just not as well made in respect to one key element, control.  Every thing you do requires a click, even if it takes 10hits on a creature, that's 10 clicks.  Sequels you click once, you swing away until dead.  It gets SOOO old and wears your finger out after a time, but the PS1 version that one is standard run and slash stuff, works exceptionally well much like Diablo3 would do on Switch/PS3 years later (and soon D2 remaster.)

Edit - You're right, it's a memory card pig, but very worth it.  Amusingly enough one other blizzard PC gem hit the PS1, Warcraft II The Dark Saga which combined both D2 and it's expansion CD into one package for PS1(and Saturn too.)  They're super well done (both games) and they both will fit on one single memory card together which is what I did, made 1 memory card a blizzard card. :D

Edited by Tanooki

This game is very addictive. It's comparably clunky to Diablo 3, but I'm still having a good time. I'm enjoying the lore as well. Things are getting a bit annoying with having to jump back to town very frequently. I like the spatial inventory, it's different, but you really can't carry around very much, and I'm certainly spoiled by the stash in D3. 

I've switched to using an arcade stick for controls, it turns out this game works great with a stick. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, Tanooki said:

Good story, and also an annoying one as that was kind of a douchy thing to do buying 50 copies to take advantage of later.

Yeah the guy got banned from a lot of facebook groups over that and him constantly trying to sell another sealed graded PS1 game for well over market value. I think it was over $15,000 for Tekken 1 jewel case or something like that.

But yeah back on topic, I was able to find a patch file that allows the PC version of Diablo to be played on at least Windows 7 or newer without those graphical color glitches. The PS1 version is nice to control with a D-Pad but its zoomed in lower resolution is where it doesn't hold up.

I would say Diablo for PS1 is the better of two if you want to just easily put it in and play it with a controller instead of a mouse, but the PC version is the one to use if you want it to look better and prefer the mouse and keyboard controls.

The video patch I found for playing Diablo on newer Windows is a modifed ddraw.dll file that you put into Diablo's install directory. It makes the game boot in window mode, then you hold alt and press tab to bring up a menu. If you keep holding alt and press tab until it highlights the Diablo icon then let go of alt, it goes into fullscreen without any video color glitches.

Edited by TheGameCollector

6 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

Yeah the guy got banned from a lot of facebook groups over that and him constantly trying to sell another sealed graded PS1 game for well over market value. I think it was over $15,000 for Tekken 1 jewel case or something like that.

But yeah back on topic, I was able to find a patch file that allows the PC version of Diablo to be played on at least Windows 7 or newer without those graphical color glitches. The PS1 version is nice to control with a D-Pad but its zoomed in lower resolution is where it doesn't hold up.

I would say Diablo for PS1 is the better of two if you want to just easily put it in and play it with a controller instead of a mouse, but the PC version is the one to use if you want it to look better and prefer the mouse and keyboard controls.

The video patch I found for playing Diablo on newer Windows is a modifed ddraw.dll file that you put into Diablo's install directory. It makes the game boot in window mode, then you hold alt and press tab to bring up a menu. If you keep holding alt and press tab until it highlights the Diablo icon then let go of alt, it goes into fullscreen without any video color glitches.

Good

And I think I know the patch, Bezelbub right?  Pops it up to HD level output just so it will render and as such a larger view area, but doesn't make the graphics any finer if I remember right.  It's a solid piece of work.  PC version wins sure, if you don't mind clicking to attack every single time on every single target, why they did that I will never know.  PS1 plays gameplay wise for just battling, superior.  Kind of just depends what you want out of it.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:21 PM, Tanooki said:

Good

And I think I know the patch, Bezelbub right?  Pops it up to HD level output just so it will render and as such a larger view area, but doesn't make the graphics any finer if I remember right.  It's a solid piece of work.  PC version wins sure, if you don't mind clicking to attack every single time on every single target, why they did that I will never know.  PS1 plays gameplay wise for just battling, superior.  Kind of just depends what you want out of it.

No the patch makes it run the way it normally would instead of having neon colored graphical issues. It just tricks the newer computer into allowing an old unsupported color mode and resolution.

Diablo II is even easier to fix. You just set it to compatibility mode then run the video test that is included in the install folder.

Edited by TheGameCollector

Ahh ok that fix, I remember it.  The one I'm thinking of basically is an overhaul of the game that adds the upgrades of Hellfire expansion and a bit more to bring the game up to snuff more with D2 in some respects, and also adds HD mode not bumping the visual quality, just resolution so it stays friendly on a modern system.