IGNORED

Ninjish Guy 7800 - perilous island (wip)

vhzc

Plays great on real hardware (7800 SVideo + Dragonfly), no visible glitches or weirdness! Another INCREDIBLE game @vhzc! I'll be including it on this Tuesday's show! Check out the video below...

- James

EDIT: There is an issue that TempterOfFate found that I'm able to consistently replicate but I'm not sure on the EXACT conditions. If you die in a certain way on the first three screens the game will crash after transitioning from screen 1 to 2 (or 2 to 3) right after starting a new game. Also the character's animation does jitter quite a bit while walking and is visible on real hardware and JS7800 emulator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Plays great on real hardware (7800 SVideo + Dragonfly), no visible glitches or weirdness! Another INCREDIBLE game @vhzc! I'll be including it on this Tuesday's show! Check out the video below...

- James

EDIT: There is an issue that TempterOfFate found that I'm able to consistently replicate but I'm not sure on the EXACT conditions. If you die in a certain way on the first three screens the game will crash after transitioning from screen 1 to 2 (or 2 to 3) right after starting a new game. Also the character's animation does jitter quite a bit while walking and is visible on real hardware and JS7800 emulator.

Thanks for testing it.

I am still not able to reproduce the issue in a7800, so not sure of the cause. Still I optimized the code trying to fix it and posted a new build:

NinjishGuyPI_demo01b.a78

I will check the jittering.

BTW: All current enemies can be killed with shurikens, but some of them need more shoots.

Also the shurikens can be refilled in the shuriken room.

And the running enemy can be also stomped like in original NG.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, vhzc said:

Thanks for testing it.

I am still not able to reproduce the issue in a7800, so not sure of the cause. Still I optimized the code trying to fix it and posted a new build:

NinjishGuyPI_demo01b.a78 144.13 kB · 1 download

I will check the jittering.

BTW: All current enemies can be killed with shurikens, but some of them need more shoots.

Also the shurikens can be refilled in the shuriken room.

And the running enemy can be also stomped like in original NG.

Shurikens? All I did was jump to avoid stuff and then I assume I made it to the end as there was a single Ding sound and it just stopped at that point? I'm guessing there isn't any audio yet correct?

Two things I really like with this is the death animation and the utilization of a firing weapon.  More so how cleverly the weapon supply was implemented.  You cannot be haphazard about it, without ammo becoming inconvenient to replenish; however, no limit to replenishing ammo either.

Of course the (trademark) characterization and uncanny personifications found throughout.  Another triple 'A' title in the works - just awesome!

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Ninjish Guy Perilous Island on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 27, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day!

Games:

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Cool start! I'm looking forward to SFX being added. I got stuck at first because it wasn't immediately obvious to me that you could climb the vines. Also, the flying fish are a pain!  :D

They are much easier on the way back from the right to the left though...

• Like 3

Noticed by the time the console is hot, Ninjish Guy is looking considerably greenish from when he started. 

If that's intended, no problem, understood.

On the other hand, if looking to keep a bluish appearance: $A2 & $A6 --> $92 & $96:

Playing beautifully, so far.  Looking forward to the next release!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Noticed by the time the console is hot, Ninjish Guy is looking considerably greenish from when he started. 

If that's intended, no problem, understood.

On the other hand, if looking to keep a bluish appearance: $A2 & $A6 --> $92 & $96:

Playing beautifully, so far.  Looking forward to the next release!

Thanks.

Color changing is not intended, I will tweak the colors and visuals during development.

Is for that type of stuff that I really, really need a DF or similar.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

They are much easier on the way back from the right to the left though...

Originally the jumping piranhas went to change direction when you return to the screen, but I changed my mind and keep it as is, so the backtracking feels less like a punish.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vhzc said:

Thanks.

Color changing is not intended, I will tweak the colors and visuals during development...

My pleasure, thank *you*!   Succinctly put, for consistent blue, $9x is the range that works best; for consistent green, $Cx. 

Consistency can be tricky at times.  There are some items to consider when making selections.  I don't want to bog down this thread with them, but more than happy to assist and can discuss via private message if you would like to converse further on the matter, or just looking for a simple suggestion.

11 hours ago, vhzc said:

...Is for that type of stuff that I really, really need a DF or similar.

Hopefully, the below spoiler may be helpful.  Pick a hue value, watch for 30 seconds, and it will provide a wide range of looks for the selected hue.  It runs through cool to hot consoles for both CRT and LCD/modern display appearances.  It's a gif file which can be downloaded and stored locally for convenience:

PRO_PALETTES_NTSC_ALL_30.gif

There is another one available for PAL regions as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Knight Guy tricked me into thinking Ninjish Guy may be able to swim too.  Don't fall for it.  :D

Remember that Knight Guy 7800 was able to swim ONLY after he got his diving helmet...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Awww.. got to put the Strength Gem to use just once so far.  Great stuff though!  Definitely feels more challenging than Knight Guy, or maybe I became too accustomed to those boards.  Still, my gut has Ninjish Guy challenge more peg as a Pitfall II - Quest/Level 2 challenge (via 8 bit/5200), while Knight Guy feels more like the challenge of original Pitfall II.  

'Mothra' was my favorite of the two, but 'Block Head 2.0' offered a nice challenge as well.  Both (mini) bosses look great, in fact, everything does.  Always love the backtracking, as it really gives more depth to the game.  The lives and ammo system is very fair (If not a tad bit generous), though seeing those blocks above turn brown makes me think the future of them may be dangerously trap worthy, if used too much or/and lingering too long.  The variety in area settings is a fantastic touch as well.

Looking forward to this action-adventure developing further - awesome so far!

• Like 2