IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Gold Medal Bracket

Vocelli

Moon Patrol: 39780

Dark Cavern: 353000

That advanced course on Moon Patrol is nasty.  This is one of the few games I've played where the 2600 port is significantly more difficult than the original arcade game. 

Based on our scores, I expect we're both getting to about the same point, and the difference is @ZilchSr earned a few more points along the way.  I have yet to reach the first bonus checkpoint on the advanced course.

image.thumb.png.dcddeb899a9d08d4a00ba4d67eaadb66.png

image.thumb.jpeg.ea220edeaf34c83e5bd90868ec986594.jpeg

• Like 4

Moon Patrol: 51980

I have a pretty full day ahead of me, so this will be the last score I post.

I got to the 2nd bonus checkpoint on the advanced course this game.  It would likely take me at least another week to learn+practice the specific timing required to make it through the next few segments of this course and/or post a score which is a notable improvement over this one.

image.thumb.png.82a9a51b7f3f9e93b5687b9fbe88d01d.png

• Like 3

Tbh, Im not even sure if I had time to play lately that I would have beaten any of these three scores. I played Solar Storm today for about 30 minutes and didn't break 3,000 LOL! Well done, @kermit73, and congratz on being the 2021 Gold Cup Winner! Ill post my final scores before midnight, which Moon Patrol was something like 46K, didnt do any better on Dark Cavern, and less than 3K on Solar Storm. Pssht. ?

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 5

Thanks @ZilchSr

All three of these games are tough, especially if you don't have a lot of time to play. 

I really did not like Solar Storm during the season, but started to appreciate it more the past week and a half.  I think during the season I had too much fun with Fireball that I didn't give Solar Storm much attention.  Once you hit 3-4k, "Sizzleoids" (the chirping things that clear the screen when hit) come much more frequently.  On many screens, you can focus your attention on them and not have to worry as much about the ships that hit you before there is any indication they even fired a shot.  At 50 points each, you sometimes only need one good wave taking down Sizzleoids to get to the bonus where you can earn an extra ship.  The world record score of 12k initially seemed suspect to me, but I now believe it's achievable if you can get on a consistent run on these later levels.

For Dark Cavern, the strategy I employed was to give the gun and additional bullets priority over tagging green/yellow robots early in the game.  That's not to say I wouldn't go after the robots worth more points, but as soon as the gun appeared on the screen, it became more important.  This is especially the case once you max out at 9 men in reserve.  An extra 10 bullets in the late game is worth around 10k where green/yellow robots are only 3k-5k each.  You need the ammo in the late game when it's not always practical to get to the gun when it shows up.

The timing sensitivity of Moon Patrol is insane, especially on the advanced course.  It can take hours to learn each section of the course, and then once learned, the precise timing has to be remembered.

• Like 6