IGNORED

SC1224 Power Supply Help Needed....

Looking for some help trying to find a replacement fuse for the internal power supply on an SC1224. (Goldstar version).  The service document on Archive.org says it's a .5 Amp fuse but the one I pulled out is a 3 amp fuse.  As I'm not great at this stuff, just looking for confirmation on what I should get.  I realize someone may have replaced it before, hence the difference, just want confirmation from those with the right knowledge...

Can anyone provide a link to this luddite, where an appropriate fuse can be sourced?

Thanks in advance!

Okay, so page 3 of the service manual says it is originally a 0.5A fuse but page 33 says the replacement is 3.15A, 250V 5x20mm glass fuse located in area F901. 

I am guessing someone replaced it with the 3.15A because the 0.5A is a very low breaking capacity and would need more frequent replacing.

These are available on Amazon, eBay, and most local electrical stores.

Edited by MasterMotorola
new information

1 hour ago, MasterMotorola said:

Okay, so page 3 of the service manual says it is originally a 0.5A fuse but page 33 says the replacement is 3.15A, 250V 5x20mm glass fuse located in area F901. 

I am guessing someone replaced it with the 3.15A because the 0.5A is a very low breaking capacity and would need more frequent replacing.

These are available on Amazon, eBay, and most local electrical stores.

Thanks for the explanation...the PCB is labelled F901, it worked for years with the 3.15A fuse, so I'll source that.  The manual is definitely screwy...

3.15A fuse on a mains supply @240V is over 700Watts of power, using a fuse with too higher rating

will not protect the system, if you get a short anywhere, it's likely to burn tracks away on the PCB

before the fuse blows, the mains plug should have a 3A fuse (UK)

The monitor is rated at around 60 Watts, so 0.5A should be fine, but either way I would suspect the 3.15A is a misprint

the fuse in the appliance should always be lower than the one in the mains plug.

I have a CM8833 monitor which uses a little more power (75W) it has a 2A fuse.

24 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

3.15A fuse on a mains supply @240V is over 700Watts of power, using a fuse with too higher rating

will not protect the system, if you get a short anywhere, it's likely to burn tracks away on the PCB

before the fuse blows, the mains plug should have a 3A fuse (UK)

The monitor is rated at around 60 Watts, so 0.5A should be fine, but either way I would suspect the 3.15A is a misprint

the fuse in the appliance should always be lower than the one in the mains plug.

I have a CM8833 monitor which uses a little more power (75W) it has a 2A fuse.

North American Voltages are lower no?  120 Volts.  Though I take your point - at 120 volts, .5A would be just enough? it does make me concerned then that the fuse blew if it's rated so high?  Of course, they can blow from age no?  I should make an effort to learn more if I'm going to maintain this vintage computer collection.

31 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Though I take your point - at 120 volts, .5A would be just enough

Yes, it's probably just on the limit, personally I would replace it with a 1A fuse, that will still

provide plenty of protection and will likely last

55 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

3.15A is also printed on page 27 of the schematic (North American model) so I doubt it is a misprint.  I replaced a fuse in my monitor many years ago so I trust what is in the manuals.  If the fuse has no burnt marks then it may have failed due to a jolt or just age.

fuse.png

The fuse does have a burn mark on it - a small one.  Having said that, this house has crazy electrical issues sometimes - so maybe the fuse did it's job and protected the monitor.  Ugh, here's hoping the only issue is the fuse....(ordered from Amazon - arrived Wednesday).