IGNORED

Has anyone compiled a compendium of cartridges for the A8?

x=usr(1536)

Something I have yet to see floating around is a collection of (specifically) cartridge images for the A8, kinda similar to the Holmes CDs.  I realise that Atarimania has a good number of them archived, but what I'm looking for is coverage of both commercial releases as well as homebrew.

Anyone have suggestions for where to check?  Putting this together wouldn't be impossible, but if there's something already assembled I'd be interested in looking into it.

Depends on how new you mean re commercial stuff, other folks have put up sets in the past but obviously missing the more later commercial games. Its less like the C64 scene in that respect, they put up commercial stuff that is more than a year old and most dev's don't mind as most sales runs last a few months with the odd few later. The Atari folk don't do that as is their right..

Sadly, they in most cases don't do a digital download either... A bit of an annoyance as not everyone has or want's real hardware...But that's a whole different thread..

I forget the person who did the set with all the various cart types separated in to different directories but that was a great set... Trouble is that I split those sets up in to alphabetical sets so can't help..

• Like 1

Gamebase Atari 800 v 13 has a good selection, to be exact 301 rom/bin files listed as Cartridges. You can sort them in usual Gamebase-y way: alphabetically, by year, etc.

Don't know how comprehensive their selection is though, because carts are a secondary, "extra" format in Gamebase. Meaning the games are definitely archived, but perhaps with disk or tape version taking precedence.

If you'd like to have a look and are unable to find it, give me a shout.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Depends on how new you mean re commercial stuff, other folks have put up sets in the past but obviously missing the more later commercial games.

That's a very good question, and I don't think I did a particularly good job of clarifying that in the original post.  So:

The best explanation I can give is that no particular start or cutoff date was being assigned to either definition as there's a fair bit of overlap between them.  Rather, the idea was to use the terms to try to cover all of the bases of cartridge releases.  To my mind, it's less important to have a hard-and-fast definition for either 'homebrew' or 'commercial' as it is to be able to preserve and archive them.

30 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Its less like the C64 scene in that respect, they put up commercial stuff that is more than a year old and most dev's don't mind as most sales runs last a few months with the odd few later. The Atari folk don't do that as is their right..

Understood, and there's certainly no assumption on my behalf of being able to just add anything that crops up without an author's say-so.  Where possible, yep, but if someone doesn't want <insert title here> in the collection then so be it.

25 minutes ago, youxia said:

Gamebase Atari 800 v 13 has a good selection, to be exact 301 rom/bin files listed as Cartridges. You can sort them in usual Gamebase-y way: alphabetically, by year, etc.

Don't know how comprehensive their selection is though, because carts are a secondary, "extra" format in Gamebase. Meaning the games are definitely archived, but perhaps with disk or tape version taking precedence.

If you'd like to have a look and are unable to find it, give me a shout.

Thank you for that; I may just take you up on that offer :-D

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Atarionline I know of but the above, can't find it on Google bar the preservation initiative site?

Just incase I'm missing an archive (unlikely?)

As far as I know, its in a folder on the Pigwa FTP site:  /stuff/collections/Atari 8bit Preserved Software 2020-01-25

I don't know if its housed somewhere else as well...

19 hours ago, youxia said:

Gamebase Atari 800 v 13 has a good selection, to be exact 301 rom/bin files listed as Cartridges.

All the carts in the Gamebase were taken from the usual FREE online sources. ;)

Limited run HomeBrew carts are harder to find, as the are bought by serious collectors.

Some of whom, will never open the box to keep it in mint condition.

Stay tuned for v15 of XL GameBase (328 carts).

Even the most advanced carts are now cracked into single 'XEX' files for 128k.

coming very soon!!!

• Like 2

You can use Advanced Search on AtariMania which gives about 450 results but some are duplicates so would likely be under 400.

Also, some games were re-released on cartridge some years later and in some cases not even bothered to reassemble to run from Rom but rather just using the Rom to stream the data into Ram.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lbaeza said:

"I find the lack of links on this thread disturbing..."

Regards,

Luis

It's not so hard to use a search engine of your choice, and posting links to "abandonware" is a no-no on some sites, though here on AA mostly seems to be ok.

I said earlier to "give me a shout" about A8 Gamebase, because it was previously hard to find, but now I got a result on the first page of DDG search. V 1.2 is on pigwa, and 1.4 here.

17 minutes ago, .mad. said:

Stay tuned for v15 of XL GameBase (328 carts).

As always, thank you @.mad. for keeping the GB alive, these packs are still the  best ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

A reasonable compiled list here: 

http://www.pitfalljones.com/0800-list.htm

That's a good list, but he's looking for more of a collection of actual images. Of course, the subject said compendium, not collection, which is a collection of information about a certain subject, not the actual items themselves...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Of course, the subject said compendium, not collection, which is a collection of information about a certain subject, not the actual items themselves...

Absolutely correct.  But alliteratively, "compendium" sounded better in the thread title to me to me than, "collection" in this case ;-)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

https://avgcart.tmp.sk/

scroll down the page, looking at the links ;) 

EDIT: You might also find an interesting zip file at https://atari8bit.net/dl/

Thank you very much; I greatly appreciate the links.  And that you know how to organise a directory hierarchy properly :-D

• Haha 2

On 7/27/2021 at 3:29 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Absolutely correct.  But alliteratively, "compendium" sounded better in the thread title to me to me than, "collection" in this case ;-)

A compiled compendium of completely complicated computer components, competing for compensation?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5