CharlieChaplin

What SD-card do you use with AVG-cart ?

Evil me, I am copying the text of Level42, BUT (instead of SIDE3) I am asking which SD-card you are using with your AVG-cart...  ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured it would be useful for current and future owners of the wonderful AVG cartridge to know which SD card to get to use it trouble free.

Here's my own results so far. If you can, please copy the format and fill out the details of your working (or not) SD card(s).

Brand: 
Model: 
Size (GB): 

Type (SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDUC): 
Speed (Standard, High-speed, UHS-I , UHS-II, UHS-III, Express): 

Physical size (Standard, Mini, Micro): 
Used adapter for Mini or Micro: 

Used on what computer (400,800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, 65XE, 130XE, 800XE, XEGS):

Any hardware mods (Antonia, U1MB, Sophia 1, Sophia 2, Stereo Pokey, Pokeymac, etc. etc.):
Original Atari or new (switching Power Supply):

74F08 installed ?

Does it work absolutely trouble free (Loading CAR, XEX, BIN, ATR (with SIO-cable), runs PDM music, AVF videos) ?: 
If not, what issues ?: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brand: Sandisk

Model: ultra
Size (GB): 16GB  (80MB/s)

Type (SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDUC): SDHC
Speed (Standard, High-speed, UHS-I , UHS-II, UHS-III, Express): 10, 1, I, whatever, don't care

Physical size (Standard, Mini, Micro): standard
Used adapter for Mini or Micro: no

Used on what computer (400,800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, 65XE, 130XE, 800XE, XEGS): 800XL, PAL

Any hardware mods (Antonia, U1MB, Sophia 1, Sophia 2, Stereo Pokey, Pokeymac, etc. etc.):

two 800XL with 512k SRAM extension by tf_hh, switchable OS (switchable between XL-OS Rev. 2 and OS-B), another two 800XL with 512k SRAM extension by mega-hz, switchable OS (XL-OS, OS-B), stereo-enhancement by Lotharek
Original Atari or new (switching Power Supply): original Atari PSU, 1.5A by german producer FW (26VA)

74F08 installed ? No.

Does it work absolutely trouble free (Loading CAR, XEX, BIN, ATR (with SIO-cable), runs PDM music, AVF videos) ?:

I think so
If not, what issues ?:

a) I have not tested the millions of CAR, XEX, ATR, etc. that are available for the A8 (just a few dozen), b) both Lotharek stereo enhancements do produce an awful lot of noise (even in mono-mode) with PDM and AVF, so I avoid using them and use the mono-audio-out of the monitor/DIN-5 output instead (other stereo-Pokey sounds seem to work fine, so it looks like the Pokeys and/or stereo-enhancements are not really defect...)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Model:  ultra
Size (GB): 32GB (80MB/s)

Type (SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDUC): SDHC

all the rest: same as above!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Model:  ultra
Size (GB): 64GB  (100MB/s)

Type (SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDUC): SDXC

all the rest: same as above!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have two Sandisk 2GB SD-cards and two Transcend 2GB SD-cards which I normally use for my SIO2SD devices, but maybe I will also test them with my AVG carts (and playback of PDM sounds and AVF videos)...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Using new old stock Sandisk 32GB class 4  (yep.  I said "old stock")

[EDIT]

P.S. Everything OP listed runs here.

Edited by a8isa1

For AVG, I am using SanDisk EDGE 8GB (daily driver) and at times SanDisk Extreme III (2GB)... Atari 800, and 800XL, reads and loads everything I throw at it (AVG cart has other / different issues, though).

For Side2 and Incognito, I only use SanDisk CF Ultra 4GB, and SanDisk CF Extreme III 4GB... Have yet to find a problem to this day, in any loading scenario, in any application.

Same as most here, SanDisk Ultra, there's a 10 in a circle so I presume that's the class?

32gig in a Lexar adaptor..

No idea if there's a 74F08 installed.. (what is its purpose / is it needed?)

Not had any issues with my 800XL but sometimes when the card is put in the PC it wants to scan it for corrupt files with the scan and fix interface..Had one instance of corrupt files, the rest of the time its checks out ok.. Will give the SD slots a contact clean just in case (flat gets dusty quickly)

23 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Evil me, I am copying the text of Level42, BUT (instead of SIDE3) I am asking which SD-card you are using with your AVG-cart...  ;-)

You’re most welcome :)

Just out of curiosity: were there any issues that _might_ be related to different SD cards used with AVG anyway ?

11 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

No idea if there's a 74F08 installed.. (what is its purpose / is it needed?)

my understanding is that this is a kludge for some devices (mostly multicarts/ide devices) that are not tolerant to variances in phi2 signal characteristics among atari units, changing 74LS08 to 74F08 (in atari) usually makes phi2 signal "nicer" so they can handle it

i'm actually curious whether anyone needed to change this chip to make avgcart working on his machine, i've never recommended anyone doing so (or any other hw mod) and nobody reported doing so to me either but it could be that it became so automatic for atari folks to try it so they don't even bother mentioning it and that's why i'm just not aware of the issue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmp said:

for some devices (mostly multicarts/ide devices) that are not tolerant to variances in phi2 signal characteristics among atari units, changing 74LS08 to 74F08 (in atari) usually makes phi2 signal "nicer" so they can handle it

Well, the 800 is where it all starts... and ends, because.... there is no PHi2 on the left cart port, yet AVG works, while... Side2 fails to oblivion... with the exception of 800/Incognito, where Side2 will work as intended, without any host modification.

Thanks for the answer @tmp, I won't be doing any mods as it's all good here..

Paul..

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, tmp said:

my understanding is that this is a kludge for some devices (mostly multicarts/ide devices) that are not tolerant to variances in phi2 signal characteristics among atari units, changing 74LS08 to 74F08 (in atari) usually makes phi2 signal "nicer" so they can handle it

i'm actually curious whether anyone needed to change this chip to make avgcart working on his machine, i've never recommended anyone doing so (or any other hw mod) and nobody reported doing so to me either but it could be that it became so automatic for atari folks to try it so they don't even bother mentioning it and that's why i'm just not aware of the issue

I don't have an AVG cart, but I had two issues with SIDE3 and following this I did put a 74F08 in my 600XL. I noticed no difference. The source of one issue was a firmware thing which is now solved. The other is still a mystery but the F certainly doesn't fix it. As a matter of fact, I didn't try it with the original 74LS08. Which makes me want to put it back and try again :) (Long live the 600XL, all IC's socketed ! )

AFAIK and read, the XE's are where the problems are mostly with the 74LS08.

Edited by Level42

On 7/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, Level42 said:

AFAIK and read, the XE's are where the problems are mostly with the 74LS08.

Though it can happen with XL’s. My 800XL was completely unstable with the SIDE2/U1M combo until I did the replacement. Also agree with your comment about completely socketed units, my 800XL came this way and it’s so nice to work on.

• Like 1

Aha ! I think I read about a 1200XL with issues fixed by a 78F08 too….

yeah big credits to Warner-Atari for the sockets !