IGNORED

Atari 8-bit User Meet-up

cx2k

Any Atari 8-bit computer users in the DFW, Texas or surrounding areas interested in getting together for an old school "user group" style meet-up?

Saturday, August 28th - 6pm till ??? at the National Videogame Museum in Frisco, TX.

Product demos, buy/sell/trade, repair and upgrade workshop? Drop me a PM, respond here, or head to the event page on FB.

Edited by cx2k
add date and time
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

But I thought you were more towards New York/ Tri-State Area... You're in Texas? Am I lost in time?

LOL. You're not in the Twilight Zone...

I was in NY for almost all of my life. I moved to Frisco, TX. in 2016 to run the National Videogame Museum.

John

• Like 2

Just a bump/reminder about the Atari 8-bit meet-up at the end of August. Planning on some cool things and will post updates here.

Confirmed - Thomas Cherryhomes will be demoing his Fuji Net device.

More announcements to come.

John

• Like 3

One of the things we'll have going on is the chance to play some of these Atari Corp. prototypes. I know the hard-core folks have probably played them but some of the people just getting into it may not have had the opportunity.

Atari protos1.jpg

Atari protos2.jpg

On 7/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, cx2k said:

LOL. You're not in the Twilight Zone...

I was in NY for almost all of my life. I moved to Frisco, TX. in 2016 to run the National Videogame Museum.

John

I moved from Texas probably less than a year earlier. To run the old family "ranch". Not as glorified as what you are running but I got free land. I was down in Canyon Lake though. I'd have to look at a map to know for sure if I was closer to DFW area in Canyon Lake or where I am now near Tulsa, OK. I might actually be closer to there now! I'll have to google that...

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, cx2k said:

One of the things we'll have going on is the chance to play some of these Atari Corp. prototypes. I know the hard-core folks have probably played them but some of the people just getting into it may not have had the opportunity.

Atari protos1.jpg

Atari protos2.jpg

Really? Who but the hard-core would show up? I'm thinking about trying, at least see how long a drive it would be, but then I'm hard-core and yes, I have either extended memory .xex's of these games or in the case of Xenophobe, Commando and Tower Toppler I have the box, manual and cart versions as shown here. Tower Toppler is the fixed rom version I bought from ndary. But I've heard of some other prototypes, like Ninja Golf, Ikari Warriors (Rampart?) and one or two other I can't think of...got any of them for the show? In the mean time I'll be playing my 7800 versions now that I have one again after 15+ years.

20210806_160416.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

It turns out I'm nearly the identical distance from the DFW area now as I was when I lived in Canyon Lake. About 4 hours and 15 minutes to Dallas. Do you need confirmation or is that just for those with real contributions to the community?? Any recommendation for nearby accommodations?

18 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Really? Who but the hard-core would show up?

We actually have several new people who are interested in getting into the Atari 8-bit or have only dabbled in the past and want to learn more.

You should come by if you can swing it. We have people from Austin and San Antonio coming.

And unfortunately, we don't have the other protos you mentioned. :(

2 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

It turns out I'm nearly the identical distance from the DFW area now as I was when I lived in Canyon Lake. About 4 hours and 15 minutes to Dallas. Do you need confirmation or is that just for those with real contributions to the community?? Any recommendation for nearby accommodations?

Everyone contributes! :)  When you know if you're coming, if you can rsvp on the FB event page linked above, that would be great. Or just let me know.

A couple of people are staying at the Holiday Inn Express - Toyota Stadium. Fairly new hotel and reasonably priced. Very close to the museum.

Hope to see you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cx2k said:

Everyone contributes! :) 

Well, there are contributions to the community and then there are system and community changing contributions like Fujinet. I'm just a crazy old hardware hacker that upgrades in any and all ways possible just because he can and every blue moon actually uses the systems with software. Though I've a five year plan that will bring the hacking and using Atari's into Synergy.

• Like 1

I always figured the game's title made that obvious. After all it's not SIO Maze...that's what I've created and hidden behind my systems.?

Besides, Thomas Cherryhomes will be there with Fujinet (and I can bring mine-if I can make it) which works as "some kind of interface.";)

Edited by Gunstar

Hello Gunstar

It's sometimes better to state the obvious than to expect that people "get it" and later find out they didn't or overlooked it, or ...  

Sincerely

Mathy   (who's still surprised sometimes about how un-obvious some things are to other people)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cx2k said:

When you know if you're coming, if you can rsvp on the FB event page linked above, that would be great. Or just let me know.

Not a Facebook user, but please put me down as a tentative attendee.  We're in OKC so the drive's not a problem; just have to be sure that the time is available and doesn't conflict with work commitments.  Unfortunately, that's something I can't predict until probably the week of the meet.

I'm guessing that if we want to see the museum we should get there earlier than 6pm? ;)

16 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello John

You do realize that you need at least some kind of interface to play MIDI Maze?  You can use the 850 and some other interfaces, in Europe we usually use MID Mate (compatible) interfaces.

Sincerely

Mathy

Thanks Mathy. I only have one cart so will probably only have it set up for demo/1 player just to let people see it.

John

14 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Not a Facebook user, but please put me down as a tentative attendee.  We're in OKC so the drive's not a problem; just have to be sure that the time is available and doesn't conflict with work commitments.  Unfortunately, that's something I can't predict until probably the week of the meet.

I'm guessing that if we want to see the museum we should get there earlier than 6pm? ;)

Sounds good. I'll shoot you a PM.

• Like 1

The current cost of fuel, and the usual pandemic bs will now be keeping me out of it, which sadly prevents me from saying hey to @doctorclu and snagging the stuff he is unloading, maybe folks should swing by and see if he'd like to attend or see what he's clearing out... If I'm remembering he's moving and getting stuff out of there ? Or has the move already taken place, not always remembering who's who some days.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

For me, even being a handful of hours away, it's 50/50 at this point. At the moment I'm looking for an every day family car, as my brother lost his license and doesn't have his own and my mother's car and my second business truck need major work. So that leaves me with one gas-guzzling truck to drive and I'd have to borrow a car from a friend (not a problem if they don't need it that weekend) and leave the truck with my brother for emergencies. My mother's old and frail and needs someone 24/7. And the other bit being my contracting business and whether the schedule has to change due to whether or equipment breakdowns. So I too, will probably not know for sure until a few days prior.