Jump to content
cx2k

Atari 8-bit User Meet-up

Recommended Posts

John

 

3 hours ago, cx2k said:

I only have one cart so will probably only have it set up for demo/1 player just to let people see it.

 

Fandal created a file version out of the cart version.  It requires 256kB of EXTENDED memory.  MIDI-Maze is one of those games that you have to play with/against others to enjoy.

 

HATZ%20XIX%20Midi%20Maze.JPG

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The current cost of fuel, and the usual pandemic bs will now be keeping me out of it, which sadly prevents me from saying hey to @doctorclu and snagging the stuff he is unloading, maybe folks should swing by and see if he'd like to attend or see what he's clearing out... If I'm remembering he's moving and getting stuff out of there ? Or has the move already taken place, not always remembering who's who some days.

August 28th at 6 pm?   Nice!    I will see if I can swing by.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another update!

 

Christopher Chance, author of Adventure Master from CBS Software will be joining us and will be happy to talk about his amazing program and the unreleased expansion pack that he created.

adventure.jpg

Edited by cx2k
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello John

 

3 hours ago, cx2k said:

Christopher Chance, author of Adventure Master from CBS Software will be joining us and will be happy to talk about his amazing program and the unreleased expansion pack that he created.

 

Is there a chance (no pun intended) that he will be releasing the expansion pack?

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello John

 

 

Is there a chance (no pun intended) that he will be releasing the expansion pack?

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

 

I'm working with him to archive it. He needs time to find it in his storage first.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, cx2k said:

Another update!

 

Christopher Chance, author of Adventure Master from CBS Software will be joining us and will be happy to talk about his amazing program and the unreleased expansion pack that he created.

 

@cx2k I want to interview him for the Antic podcast. Would you hook me up with him please?

 

-Kay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, Savetz said:

 

@cx2k I want to interview him for the Antic podcast. Would you hook me up with him please?

 

-Kay

Will do @Savetz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more fun homebrews, hacks and prototypes that will be available for people to try out if they haven't already done so... Thanks to @ndary for many of these. 

20210813_205307.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

@cx2k: that's the first Atari cartridge label in Hebrew that I've ever seen.  Is it factory-original?

No, its a Caverns of Mars cart that @ndary converted to Hebrew and made into a cart!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cx2k said:

Some more fun homebrews, hacks and prototypes that will be available for people to try out if they haven't already done so... Thanks to @ndary for many of these. 

20210813_205307.jpg

 

Love the Zork Trilogy cart!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting ready to move and I am finding a lot of various retro this and that.  Boxes and bins of it.  :D

 

 

Would love to pass a lot on this on to others at the August 28th meeting and I hope quite a few can make the meeting.

 

Most of what I don't pass on I will probably e-cycle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, doctorclu said:

I'm getting ready to move and I am finding a lot of various retro this and that.  Boxes and bins of it.  :D

 

 

Would love to pass a lot on this on to others at the August 28th meeting and I hope quite a few can make the meeting.

 

Most of what I don't pass on I will probably e-cycle.

Feel free to bring it on down. Currently looking at about 20 + attendees. Hopefully more as we get closer.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cx2k said:

Feel free to bring it on down. Currently looking at about 20 + attendees. Hopefully more as we get closer.

Question: the meeting starts at 6, which I believe is when the museum closes.  My wife and I are interested in seeing the museum, since we've never been to it before.  Will we be able to access it after 6, or should we get there earlier?  Would like to know so that I can figure out departure times for driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be able to attend. Hopefully it turns into an annual meeting and I can make it next time, and the next, and the next...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Question: the meeting starts at 6, which I believe is when the museum closes.  My wife and I are interested in seeing the museum, since we've never been to it before.  Will we be able to access it after 6, or should we get there earlier?  Would like to know so that I can figure out departure times for driving.

The meet-up is being held in our classroom which is inside the museum, so Yes, the museum will be available for people to check out. While I listed 6 as the start time, I envision that people will be setting up their buy/sell/trade stuff and wanting to look around the museum, so actual meeting might start at 6:30 or 7. Since it's our first one, we'll be really flexible to see what works best.

 

P.S. There is no museum charge for people coming to the meet-up obviously so if you'd like to get here a little early like 5 or 5:30, just tell them you're here for the meet-up.

 

John

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I won't be able to attend. Hopefully it turns into an annual meeting and I can make it next time, and the next, and the next...

Sorry, you won't be able to join us. I'll be looking for feedback from the attendees as to how often they'd like to meet. Maybe quarterly, who knows? Really depends on interest.

 

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cx2k said:

The meet-up is being held in our classroom which is inside the museum, so Yes, the museum will be available for people to check out. While I listed 6 as the start time, I envision that people will be setting up their buy/sell/trade stuff and wanting to look around the museum, so actual meeting might start at 6:30 or 7. Since it's our first one, we'll be really flexible to see what works best.

 

P.S. There is no museum charge for people coming to the meet-up obviously so if you'd like to get here a little early like 5 or 5:30, just tell them you're here for the meet-up.

 

John

 

Very cool!  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I won't be able to attend. Hopefully it turns into an annual meeting and I can make it next time, and the next, and the next...

I cannot attend either.  Wish I could.  Maybe next year.  I would like to see some of the art you did while you were doing that during your time with AAAUA and after.   Atariart, that could be a whole sub-section of a future meeting.  Love it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yet another update...
 
Rebecca Heineman, author of Racing Destruction Set and Mindshadow for the Atari 8-bits will be joining us at the meet-up and will be happy to talk about her work which goes way beyond these two titles.
Becky was the 1980 National Space Invaders Champion and has been developing games for over 35 years. The list of games she worked on is huge and though this list is probably incomplete, you can see some of her titles here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Heineman#Games
 
Edited by cx2k
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
More updates...
 
Just confirmed that the amazing Jennell Jaquays will be attending the meet-up. While she didn't work on Atari 8-bit computers specifically (that I know of 🙂), Jennell has a fascinating history starting with her work at the Judges Guild & TSR. She got into videogames at Coleco where she had her hand in multiple titles as well as their 2600 ports. She later worked at Epyx, Interplay, Electronic Arts and id Software just to name a few. Bring your questions and she'll be happy to answer them.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, cx2k said:

Feel free to bring it on down. Currently looking at about 20 + attendees. Hopefully more as we get closer.

 

 

Plan is I am bringing a bunch of my Atari 8-bit collection to this meeting

 

I'll have components, cables, Atari 8-bit and other game systems and accessories.

 

And quote a few video gaming and other nerdom in T-Shirts to look through, most X-Large or bigger.

 

Tell a friend, make the meeting you won't want to miss this, and the awesome guests lined up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2021 at 2:37 PM, Mathy said:

John

 

 

Fandal created a file version out of the cart version.  It requires 256kB of EXTENDED memory.  MIDI-Maze is one of those games that you have to play with/against others to enjoy.

 

HATZ%20XIX%20Midi%20Maze.JPG

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

What does Midi-Maze take for a multi-player game?   Maybe others can bring their Atair 8-bits to hook up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another update!

 

David Murray, The 8-bit Guy, will be there showing off the Atari version of his new game, Attack of the Petscii Robots!

 

- John

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, cx2k said:

Rebecca Heineman, author of Racing Destruction Set and Mindshadow for the Atari 8-bits will be joining us at the meet-up

👍 Twist her arm to send me the Bard's Tale or Wasteland sources and we can get that ported to the A8 ;) 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...