IGNORED

Atari 8-bit User Meet-up

cx2k

Covid really reset me, and I didn't realize how much more isolated I had been for the last two years, even more than usual!

I ran into @x=usr(1536) outside the museum, and it genuinely took me a moment to realize:

(1) somebody was talking to me

(2) I was supposed to say something back. 

So yeah, sorry about that. ;) 

-THom

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Covid really reset me, and I didn't realize how much more isolated I had been for the last two years, even more than usual!

I ran into @x=usr(1536) outside the museum, and it genuinely took me a moment to realize:

-THom

No worries :D It took me some time to readjust as well.

• Like 1

Sorry to be silent after the meet-up but I left town the next morning for about 9 days and am still catching up! Quick re-cap.

We had ~30 people attend ranging from new users to seasoned veterans. I'll admit it was a little disorganized and the room was a little small for the amount of people (already working on fixing that for the next one).

To summarize:

- There were demos of prototypes and homebrew games set up on different computers for people to try out including some great repros by @ndary including a Prince of Persia cart.

- David Murray (The 8-bit Guy) showed off and sold copies of the Atari version of his new game, Attack of the Petscii Robots.

- @tschak909 gave a great demo on FujiNet.

- @doctorclu brought a literal truckload of stuff and gave it away for free!! I'm talking Atari disk drives, computers, joysticks, magazines, just boxes and boxes of parts. It was an event unto itself!

- Event goers had free reign in the National Videogame Museum to play as much as they wanted.

- @Albert was kind enought to make up some of the 8-bit games sold through the AA store and donated half of the sales to the museum!

- Every attendee received a ticket to the door prize raffle. Prizes included Disney movie posters and merch from Free Guy & Black Widow as well as an NVM swag bag! Also given away - a complete copy of Omnitrend's Universe, a sealed copy of Jumpman, a box of floppy disks, a sealed copy of Serpentine and a FujiNet (graciously donated by @Gavin1968 from www.vintagecomputercenter.com).

- Special Guests - Rebecca Heineman, Jennell Jaquays, Chris Chance and a surprise last minute guest - Bob Brodie who many will remember worked for Atari starting out as their User Group Coordinator and staying through the Jag era!

- Did I mention free soda and beer? :)

Will be reaching out to folks to see how often they'd like to do these meet-ups. Quarterly, twice a year, etc?

Pics are on FB but I'll try to get some over here as well.

Thanks to everyone who made this a special night and looking forward to the next one.

-John

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, cx2k said:
On 9/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, cx2k said:

Sorry to be silent after the meet-up but I left town the next morning for about 9 days and am still catching up! Quick re-cap.... (clip)

Thanks to everyone who made this a special night and looking forward to the next one.

-John

That was a wonderful event John and everyone!

Came with perfect timing for me as I looked to regift things before moving.   That said, might have some more freebies next meeting, but nothing like this time.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:25 PM, tschak909 said:

-THom

The meeting was a nice oasis of seeing people in a desert of isolation.

Can totally relate to the awkwardness.  :)   Think we all can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

@cx2k: So...  When's the next meeting? ?

I'll probably be sending out an email in the next day or two. I'm hosting a small "beginner" meet on the 23rd for people just starting out in Atari computers. Really basic ovrview of computers stuff.

The next actual meet will probably be in January, and then quarterly from there.

Keep an eye out for an email.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 3:02 PM, cx2k said:

One of the things we'll have going on is the chance to play some of these Atari Corp. prototypes. I know the hard-core folks have probably played them but some of the people just getting into it may not have had the opportunity.

Atari protos1.jpg

Atari protos2.jpg

I would love to purchase some "XE Boxes"  Did you make these? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...