IGNORED

Half Past Sundown (WIP)

8bitrocket

I've been trying to create a "Western" themed game for many many years now.
This is short video of where it is going, but it's long off from being completed.

Atari 7800 Homebrew Teaser: Half-Past Sundown A Western Tale - YouTube

Gameplay, if you can imagine this, would be somewhat like a western "moon patrol" but with a story attached.
The proposed box art is an unused painting my grandfather did in the 1950's (he was men's "adventure" magazine illustrator).

The "character art" (albeit, not optimized in any way) is based on cowboys drawings my dad did for me in 2006 before he got dementia.
The game is programmed by myself.

7800box1.thumb.png.7ab8ca88c7f816236cbaf6ce2767c2ea.png

hps1.thumb.png.dc46872edea7008cb49daaa9eaef9322.png

hps2.thumb.png.70014210dddfaf932dfa189cfa76b6a2.png

hps3.thumb.png.79b724a58bdff2d337a311a52d4d6c09.png

So here is the video of "Half Past Sun Down: A Western Tale", a game literally three generations in the making.

Atari 7800 Homebrew Teaser: Half-Past Sundown A Western Tale - YouTube

7800cart1.png

7800cart1.pdn

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, electronicsibley said:

Makes me think a bit of Oregon Trail, just in terms of side-scrolling westerns with a theme. Guessing you’ll lean more toward action though, a la Moon Patrol. I’m excited either way! 

It might end up being only "semi" action, or the action portion being just one of the elements.
It's very very early.    

• Like 2

This is amazing! A full action game like moon patrol side scrolling with a storyline as you go. Maybe alternating levels like alien brigade style shooting cept out of the side of the wagon and then moon patrol with the horse running with the guy shooting with a pistol. 

The western artwork storyline between levels. I love westerns, western games, western artwork etc. My granny painted lots of western type of things and I would look at them as a kid until the artwork came alive.

Well were burnin daylight.. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Jinks said:

This is amazing! A full action game like moon patrol side scrolling with a storyline as you go. Maybe alternating levels like alien brigade style shooting cept out of the side of the wagon and then moon patrol with the horse running with the guy shooting with a pistol. 

The western artwork storyline between levels. I love westerns, western games, western artwork etc. My granny painted lots of western type of things and I would look at them as a kid until the artwork came alive.

Well were burnin daylight.. 

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea.  And like you said, maybe mix a couple different game styles.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

That horse animation with the sunset looks great.

That's really the core of it. 
It's using WSYNC to change BG colors on the fly (inspired by splitmodedmeo). 
More to do on the sunset.   
I plan to have the sun will start going down, causing the BG colors to change.
the impending darkness will act as a timer if I decide to go in that direction.

• Like 3

Wow:o That teaser looks great! Can’t wait to see where you take this.?

Please keep the proposed artwork. I love the generational aspect of the game’s production.  If possible, add in any additional sketches you may have, in the games manual. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work there. I'm looking forward to seeing the demo.

I recently watched the movie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales". A great film. In that movie, revenge drives the hero.

In your game, the motive (so far as we know at this point) is that father is missing. That seems to set up a search. Why is father missing?  Where did he go?  Was it an accident or was foul play involved?

Will the game incorporate the traditional elements of Western movies and games such as moving livestock, gun play and romance?

I am intrigued.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 6:23 AM, SIO2 said:

Nice work there. I'm looking forward to seeing the demo.

I recently watched the movie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales". A great film. In that movie, revenge drives the hero.

In your game, the motive (so far as we know at this point) is that father is missing. That seems to set up a search. Why is father missing?  Where did he go?  Was it an accident or was foul play involved?

Will the game incorporate the traditional elements of Western movies and games such as moving livestock, gun play and romance?

I am intrigued.

I'm a  spaghetti western fan, and they were one of the few ways my dad and spent time together.  Our favorite was "Once Upon A time In The West".   I feel like that is the feeling I'd like to get, especially if I can get the pokey to mimic a Morricone style score.  

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 12:44 PM, 8bitrocket said:

I'm a  spaghetti western fan, and they were one of the few ways my dad and spent time together.  Our favorite was "Once Upon A time In The West".   I feel like that is the feeling I'd like to get, especially if I can get the pokey to mimic a Morricone style score.  

If you’re not too far along, it would be fun to do a true adaptation of that movie. Kind of approach it tongue-in-cheek, as if someone got the license back in 1985. Which come to think of it, would’ve been kind of bizarre then too. 

Either way, looking forward to see what you come up with!