IGNORED

Which controller do you prefer: ColecoVision or Intellivision?

Which controller do you prefer: ColecoVision or Intellivision?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• ColecoVision controller
    • Intellivision controller

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

These are two of the most divisive controllers in gaming, especially for their time of relevance. Both have fans that admire their ambition, but many, including fans, often bring up flaws, including how both controllers work well for some game types and poorly for others, and build reliability.

Both sport a rectangular "phone dialpad" design, with the Intellivisions pad being concave and the ColecoVisions being convex, otherwise the main difference being button quality and placement, along with different control methods.

The Intellivision uses a directional pad disc for character movement, while the ColecoVision uses a rounded joystick.

Which controller do you prefer to use out of these choices? Which do you feel is better, more comfortable, and better for playing games?

wJrZQiAtsMSot5nTetyYtbGNHHNwpF8iVJbtBkjR

Edited by Leeroy ST
  • Like 1

Should be an option for both being as awful as each other. 

I opted for colecovision. I like it's bulkyness a bit more, and prefer it's buttons over intellivision, but I do like the disk of the Intellivision. 

I think my view is slightly skewed that I now own all the alternative colecovision controllers and I don't have to bare with the standard controller as much, with intellivision it's all I've got. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I can’t stand the INTV disk for directional inputs.

That can be a bit of a problem for homebrew developers who do the grunt work of testing and debugging in emulation using a PC keyboard that nicely supports all kinds of directional input, but once the program is tested on real hardware and controllers, it shows what works and what doesn't. Same about the stiff fire buttons on the sides, which are much harder to push than using a PC keyboard in emulation. I'd assume the Colecovision may have similar issues, though the more distinctive the joystick input is, the less of a problem it is to move from emulation to real hardware.

• Like 1

I've been thinking more about this question, and I think a better analogy is the difference between using a spoon and a fork.

You CAN eat soup with a fork, or steak with a spoon, but there are better combinations.

Some games work great with the intellivision controller, others are workable, but not ideal. Same with the Colecovision. I did replace my mushrooms with balls, though.

But in the final analysis, I'll eat what I want and play the game I like with the best tools I have available.

16 hours ago, fiddlepaddle said:

I've been thinking more about this question, and I think a better analogy is the difference between using a spoon and a fork.

You CAN eat soup with a fork, or steak with a spoon, but there are better combinations.

Some games work great with the intellivision controller, others are workable, but not ideal. Same with the Colecovision. I did replace my mushrooms with balls, though.

But in the final analysis, I'll eat what I want and play the game I like with the best tools I have available.

seems like there's lotttts of soup fork-eaters around, lol.