IGNORED

Pre-production copy of Star Raiders manual found

Over on the AtariAge Facebook group, Daniel C. Avina (sorry if you're out here; I don't know your AA forum handle!) posted some photos of what looked like a photocopy of the Star Raiders manual, with the statement: "This small piece of history was in a recent lot I purchased. Looks like we could always use “more stars”."

Welp, it turns out it's a pre-production copy of the Star Raiders manual, passed around for review by various departments! It includes a number of edit mark-ups, many of which made it into the final manual.  I asked Daniel if I could share his photos on my "Star Raiders Tribute" website (first created in 1996!), and he agreed, and sent some cleaner photos. He's hoping he can get out his flatbed scanner and do a proper scan of them, as well.

So, I've posted them, along with some commentary: http://www.sonic.net/~nbs/star-raiders/preprod-manual/

I'm a bit too tired to do an exhaustive review of every single page of this, versus the final version, but I took the time to look at and talk about the individual mark-ups, and any obvious changes I saw. (The cover of the manual calls it "STAR RAIDER", not "STAR RAIDERS"! I know that 'typo' variation exists on the cartridge label, and in fact was given one by a friend a few years back. It's apparently not rare, and the ROM inside is identical. But now I'm wondering whether the game's name changed somewhere along the way. I sent Doug Neubauer a note asking about this, via his website.)

And, when/if Daniel can get me some cleaner scans, I'll post them on my site.  If anyone happens to notice anything else worthy of mentioning, or if you know who's scribbles are who's, let me know and I can update the text on the page.  Thanks & enjoy! :)

(?pew pew!)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Also, as noted on the page, Daniel told me that he found this document in a lot he purchased, and the seller told him it came from an estate sale in the SF Bay Area.  My morbid curiosity makes me wonder who passed away (and when) that had this in their collection... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cool - now that explains the labels not being a mistake.  I guess they just chose to use them on early production carts rather than throw them away.

I only just noticed (and it's in the final version) the time units mentioned as Centons in the Technical Information at the end (thanks BSG) yet elsewhere in the manual e.g. rank calculation they refer to seconds.

• Like 1

Earlier draft of the manual: https://archive.org/details/AtariStarRaidersDraftManual

Looking to decipher the initialers on page two, I'm pretty confident about two of them:

Micro- (Microelectronics) D.K. = Dennis Koble, who was Atari (Consumer) software manager at the time.

Legal- SP = Skip Paul (Charles S. Paul), Atari corporate VP and general counsel at the time.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 10:55 AM, hunmanik said:

Earlier draft of the manual: https://archive.org/details/AtariStarRaidersDraftManual

Looking to decipher the initialers on page two, I'm pretty confident about two of them:

Micro- (Microelectronics) D.K. = Dennis Koble, who was Atari (Consumer) software manager at the time.

Legal- SP = Skip Paul (Charles S. Paul), Atari corporate VP and general counsel at the time.

Oh awesome! How had I not seen this before?! Adding a link :)

• 1 year later...