IGNORED

Dsk1 drive faulty

Eagle4Christ

Hello:

The PEB I recently acquired has a dual 5.25 floppy set up. Both dsk1 and dsk2 operate when called upon (red light turns on, normal drive sounds occur), but only dsk2 reads data. Dsk1 returns an error whenever I attempt to read from or write to a disk.

Do any of you have ideas where I might begin to diagnose and fix this problem?

Is it time to chuck it in for a disk emulator?

Much obliged.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

What error is returned when you try to read from the first drive?  What kind of drive cable is in use: is it one with a twist?  What are the jumper settings on the drives?  Does the first drive operate properly without the second drive attached?

• Like 3

Hi,

what happens  if you swap the cable, is it the same error on the same drive ?

(This can lead to another error because of bus-termination but could work for this small test)

Can you try to format a disk (with the diskmanager) ?

Are these both real 360KB-drives ? (maybe a jumper is fallen off by transport)

What if you use only one drive a time ?

Did you try to clean the head ? Maybe this....

Which controller do you use ?

Here some error codes from the original TI-Controller/Disk Manger cartridge:

TI-PHP1240-FDC-Errors-on-DiskManager.thumb.JPG.fc38690fbc38babe312d4a7a3e050c7a.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What could suddenly be the problem, do I need to do white lithium grease maybe for the motor control?  I tried cleaning the heads already (not sure i do something wrong here). Watched some youtube videos on how to fix it, maybe need to dissassemble the whole drive?

(Configuration is TI-99/4A with BWG DSDD controller). Problem with 5.25 diskdrives, they suddenly start to stop working (or reading disks). I copied about 40 floppies recently then i cannot get the drive to read disks (disk are spinning). 

Also Initializing/formatting seems to give issues (looks like damaging the disk, not sure if that has to do with the quality/old disks of 35-38 years old.  But most disks read okay.

(Already tried removing PEB cards to have more power. Also removed the 3.5 drive. But only have a gotek still connected.

I find it weird that it happened to 4x drives.

20211009_231536.jpg

20211009_231550.jpg

20211009_231645.jpg

20211009_231707.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, globeron said:

What could suddenly be the problem, do I need to do white lithium grease maybe for the motor control?  I tried cleaning the heads already (not sure i do something wrong here). Watched some youtube videos on how to fix it, maybe need to dissassemble the whole drive?

(Configuration is TI-99/4A with BWG DSDD controller). Problem with 5.25 diskdrives, they suddenly start to stop working (or reading disks). I copied about 40 floppies recently then i cannot get the drive to read disks (disk are spinning). 

Also Initializing/formatting seems to give issues (looks like damaging the disk, not sure if that has to do with the quality/old disks of 35-38 years old.  But most disks read okay.

(Already tried removing PEB cards to have more power. Also removed the 3.5 drive. But only have a gotek still connected.

I find it weird that it happened to 4x drives.

Hi, just some thoughts while reading yours:

Disassembling the whole drive normally not needed I think.

I just clean heads with a Q-Tip and a lot of alcohol on (not: in) the head :-D

Then I dry (and rub it again) with a clean Q-Tip. And let it dry some more.

I clean all motor and moving parts that I can reach, also with alco & Q-Tips,

and lubricate them just with a drop of grease or oil. Depends.

Move it by hand until it runs good and easy again. Never use violence or move against any given logic.

I had this problems too, and this was - in my cases - the way to solution. The heads motors maybe were it...

All my drives sound ♪ much better now, no "hacking" ♫ ? ? ??  anymore for endless head repositionings

Disconnect the Gotek drive (and any other than your DSK1. while testing)

Maybe change the cable...

Any heat problem ? Change the Controller ? PEB Slot contacts checked and OK ?

Is the Power Supply from the PEB stable ? Did you test/remove the 32K Card ?

If the error/hang occurs, does it need some time until it works again ?

Or does it work immediately if you just reboot/repower the TI ?

If it works again, for HOW long does it then work again ?

Just for 1 or 2 cycles or do you have ~40 tries again ?

For a better identification (but not relevant here): The floppy drives should have a sticker on the side,

with part & serial number.

xXx

• Like 2

Thank you, I will try the cleaning part first. I still have a 5th  1x drive which I swapped and working directly but afraid it will stop soon. My guess I need to find the problem at the drives first. Was thinking that the magnetic foil on the disks might give problems. But will clean heads again

Edited by globeron

19 minutes ago, globeron said:

Thank you, I will try the cleaning part first. I still have a 5th  1x drive which I swapped and working directly but afraid it will stop soon. My guess I need to find the problem at the drives first. Was thinking that the magnetic foil on the disks might give problems. But will clean heads again

yeah hardware check & maintenance first is best way

Maybe don´t try with your old floppy disks first, but use new&fresh ones. Or old empty ones. Use different brands if you have...

It´s not worth to lose old original disks due to hardware problems. Happened to me once or twice...

If you in need of brand new disks > I have.

• Like 2