IGNORED

New game adaptations

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paranoid,

Can you do HD Adaptions of the following chess games?

Chessmaster 2000
Colossus Chess X

Psion Chess 2.01

Techmate Chess 1.13

There should be good images available for those games here:

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-st-board-game-chess_genre_46_S_G.html

I believe those are great quality chess games that deserves to be played on HD.

5 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

OK. I DL-ed them. Will deal with likely next week.

3 of sound familiar from my Spectrum times. You played them on Sinclair earlier ?

Thanks, really looking forward to see those excellent chess games in nice HD versions. If i remember correctly Colossus Chess X did not work perfectly on STE but was ok on ST, could be wrong though.

Yes i remember Psion Chess was on Spectrum and it was great, even better on Atari. Good strong chess engine too, did well againts powerful games like Chessmaster, Chess Player, Chess Champion and so on. Have only beaten Psion a couple of times, i think its ELO is just under 2000, like 196x or something. The only chess game on Atari i never beaten is Chess Champion, thats a powerful chess engine!

On 7/30/2021 at 7:52 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Since site is under maintenance I put here latest hard disk game adaptations.

There is README file with all them, with reason ?

MINDBEND.ZIP 310.63 kB · 20 downloads

TURBOGT.ZIP 366.92 kB · 22 downloads

AUTODUEL.ZIP 386.16 kB · 21 downloads

STORMLRD.ZIP 399.84 kB · 28 downloads

ARCTRIVQ.ZIP 390 kB · 21 downloads

STARFLET.ZIP 384.21 kB · 22 downloads

Exact titles:  Mindbender,  Turbo GT,  Auto Duel,  Stromlord,  Arcade Trivia Quiz, Star Fleet   .

Wow, great work, thanks for supporting the community! 

15 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Thanks mate, you did us chess fans a big favour! Will test those HD adaptions, if i find any issues i will report back of course.

Now there is only one quality chess game left that could need a good HD version. That game is called Hamlet, which also uses Blitter. However i could not find any original source of this game, only a poorly made version by some group where you have to put all files in root of your partition to start it. Maybe you can have a look at it and make it better, othwise just trash it.

HAMLET.ZIP

Edited by complicated

10 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Great job Paranoid!

I have tested your latest chess game adaption. Chessmaster 2000, Techmate and Hamlet seems fine.

Psion Chess doesnt work well. When you enter help menu the software hangs and you cannot click further with the mouse. Same when trying to create a new game, the software hangs and cannot click yes or no.

Colossus Chess, when playing a couple of moves againts the computer using 2D board the screen starts to flash a couple of times, the programs doesnt hang but quite anoying. I doubt thats an animation part of the game.

Tested on Atari STE, TOS 2.06 and 4mb RAM using HDDriver 11.06.

I checked Psion Chess and Colossus Chess.  Mentioned problems do not appear by me - tried with couple diff. configs.

Most likely the problem is Hddriver and it's default setting, what allocates plenty of RAM to buffers, especially when there is 4 MB RAM.  That leaves not enough RAM for disk cache, and it needs to access disk via driver much more often. Additionally, it makes swap to active org. TOS much slower (HAGE uses special TOS 1.04 in RAM). Those screen flashes are indicator by my SW that RAM swap happening.  Because chess program accessing some special files while "thinking" . With more free RAM disk access is not necessary - it is in cache.

So, I recommend to go in Hddriver settings and lower buffers. They do not speed things up with modern storage.

Or use my driver:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/0hacypqbierqatg/1GB.rar/file

Above image is with some games, compatible with ACSI adapters. RAR len is 80 MB. You can write it on SD card (will need free one for it), and there is be space to add more games.

4 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I checked Psion Chess and Colossus Chess.  Mentioned problems do not appear by me - tried with couple diff. configs.

Most likely the problem is Hddriver and it's default setting, what allocates plenty of RAM to buffers, especially when there is 4 MB RAM.  That leaves not enough RAM for disk cache, and it needs to access disk via driver much more often. Additionally, it makes swap to active org. TOS much slower (HAGE uses special TOS 1.04 in RAM). Those screen flashes are indicator by my SW that RAM swap happening.  Because chess program accessing some special files while "thinking" . With more free RAM disk access is not necessary - it is in cache.

So, I recommend to go in Hddriver settings and lower buffers. They do not speed things up with modern storage.

Above image is with some games, compatible with ACSI adapters. RAR len is 80 MB. You can write it on SD card (will need free one for it), and there is be space to add more games.

Thats strange,

I already set HDDriver for low usage.

Cache for fat - 2

Cache for data - 2

Folders - 0

When booting HDDriver uses 61kb of memory.

Can i lower it more? I already have an 4GB SD card with 8 partitions.

5 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I did some tests. I had xboot in autofolder and turned it off, then Psion Chess worked fine. However Colossus Chess was still flashing, so you are right, its a memory issue.

OK, that's fine with HDdriver setting and RAM usage of it.

I made YT videos:

Psion Chess YT video

Colossus Chess YT video

As may see, there is flashing (with fade) in 3D and 2D displaying mode too. It is actually because game writes something to disk while 'thinking' . Write by games is not so common, so there is no cashing for it. I don't think that it is too bad - some 4 fades to black during chess ?  Not memory issue, same is with 2 MB RAM.

Psion works well. And by you too.

1 hour ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

OK, that's fine with HDdriver setting and RAM usage of it.

I made YT videos:

Psion Chess YT video

Colossus Chess YT video

As may see, there is flashing (with fade) in 3D and 2D displaying mode too. It is actually because game writes something to disk while 'thinking' . Write by games is not so common, so there is no cashing for it. I don't think that it is too bad - some 4 fades to black during chess ?  Not memory issue, same is with 2 MB RAM.

Psion works well. And by you too.

Just so i understand correctly. That flashing in Colossus Chess happens both with your PP driver and HDDriver? It has nothing to do with memory but with writes made by SW?

11 hours ago, complicated said:

Just so i understand correctly. That flashing in Colossus Chess happens both with your PP driver and HDDriver? It has nothing to do with memory but with writes made by SW?

Yes, in this case it is write of game (chess) self what happens during play. My SW shows disk access by fading screen to black and back. Frequent disk access happens too when disk cache is small (no enough free RAM for), and I assumed that it may be the case - that's is what is usual.

1 hour ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Yes, in this case it is write of game (chess) self what happens during play. My SW shows disk access by fading screen to black and back. Frequent disk access happens too when disk cache is small (no enough free RAM for), and I assumed that it may be the case - that's is what is usual.

As you said it is not a terrible problem when playing chess, just a little annoying. Isn`t there any possible to tweak your software showing writes in some other way, like a blinking square in the corner of the screen or something?