IGNORED

New game adaptations

2 games which need some testing:

KILLDOZS.ZIP  -  With Mega STE it don't respond on controls at start - title screen with music what stops after short .

BAT.ZIP  -  Does not respond on mouse when title screen is opened and 'Creation' scrolls up (should be able to start it or change to 'Jeu' (game) . On Mega STE. This is English v. and needs 2 MB RAM min. Music goes via YM , no need for MV16 .

Would be good to test on diverse ST, STE machines, especially Mega STE. On Falcon and TT works not. And in case of BAT some longer play, to see about disk changes. From first to second is OK (that happens when start Jeu). But I have no clue when will need disk 3 ... State save works.

KILLDOZS.ZIP

• Like 1

Hi, I trIed BAT but i am not able stat the game (creation appear with 1040 STE), you need to go always ahead and it will ask you Disk 3 ;-)

Would be great if you could release it also in French !

Could you share YM music files please ?

Thx for your hard work Peter.

Edited by eLLuiGi

On 4/28/2022 at 8:13 PM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

BAT.ZIP  -  Does not respond on mouse when title screen is opened and 'Creation' scrolls up (should be able to start it or change to 'Jeu' (game) . On Mega STE. This is English v. and needs 2 MB RAM min. Music goes via YM , no need for MV16 .

Interesting. How did you patch the replay rout? Do you have some sources?

And I guess it's the censored version?

10 hours ago, Atariforce said:

Interesting. How did you patch the replay rout? Do you have some sources?

And I guess it's the censored version?

It is based on Terminator release, 'Sound rut by FM'  .  No sources, but I plan to use sound code and data in French version. So may happen that will disassemble it.   I have no clue about censored version or not c. version.

On 4/30/2022 at 2:09 PM, eLLuiGi said:

Hi, I trIed BAT but i am not able stat the game (creation appear with 1040 STE), you need to go always ahead and it will ask you Disk 3 ;-)

Would be great if you could release it also in French !

Could you share YM music files please ?

Thx for your hard work Peter.

I fixed BAT and Killdozer, so they work now on Mega STE. Some not good mouse code in case of BAT.  I plan to do French version soon.

There are no music files. It is raw data on side B of floppies. And it made it pretty hard to deal with.  I even don't know at moment is music data same as with original - for MV16 audio device. But as said, will go deeper in it ...

8 hours ago, eLLuiGi said:

Just for the record, this is my own hack attempt from way back in 2008, spread free of charge (of course) and I DON'T want ParanoidLittleMan/Ppera/Whatever his nickname is, to use it for his own financial benefit.

2 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Downloads are free at http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php

And I checked audio data on sides B of floppies. It is same as in eng. version on all 3 floppy images, while by fr. original (STX images at atarimania) floppy 2 and 3 have some smaller differences.   And real hard work was done by FM.

No shit Sherlock. ?

Just like your 2MB rip off, actually. But at least, I gave credit where it was due. And mine runs on 512K.

Edited by Atariforce
precisions

Well, some just can not look better in details, contrary, just seek any reason to write bad things, and of course talking about own work as something superior.

"Cool! You mean he gave up trying to sell pirated software? That's good news. " - I never sold pirated SW (unlike plenty of 'crackers' who sold it or worked for sellers in preInternet times. Myself was asked by pirate group to crack games for them in later 80-es, what I refused.). Downloads of games - hard disk adaptations (that's more than crack, patch), floppy images were always free on sites were I published them.

Who wants all it in single download, ready to use with modern media may need to pay for used hard disk driver.

Giving credit ? It is on BAT download page, in file LOG.TXT in game's DIR .  I will not put any credits in game launcher - including crediting myself.

No need to force people to read it every time when start game. There is detailed explanation on my site about all mess with credits, greetings and other crap what can read in diverse cracks. I guess that cover/box picture scan in hi-colors is much better to look at.

"Just like your 2MB rip off, actually. But at least, I gave credit where it was due. And mine runs on 512K. "

Huh ! Rip off ? What I made is hard disk adaptation, not another floppy version. And in this case it was pretty hard, mostly because non-standard placement of audio data.  I could make audio less version (and there are such cracks done, so for 3x 400 KB floppies) in much shorter time, and it will work with min 1 MB RAM from hard disk - yes, will do it too. But as audio for YM was done, why not using it ? What our great contributor (or rather smotherer) forgot is that floppy version will have music during gameplay with min 1 MB RAM. And hard disk versions need always more RAM, that's why needs 2 MB - with music . But extra RAM is used for other benefits too - state saves, simple return to Desktop ...

And I solved work under TOS 2.06 too - what about it genius ?  None of cracks I looked did not care about it (and that's the usual case). So, I think that there will be floppy versions too by me .

I will stick to my original plan - using STX images of French version, putting there FM-s audio code for YM music. Copy protection is joke.

But what I know ... Those who made cracks back in time think that it is hardest part. Well, was it often. Now we want more, usage from modern storage in first place - what gives lot of benefits:   place for thousands of games on single, very small media  ( (micro)SD card ), what costs now like few floppies in 80-es) .  No bothering with disk changes (image changes) - and that's often pretty hard to solve, because programmers used sometimes really strange ways of inserted floppy detection, and tracing it in C generated code is really hard. Worst is when there are files with same name on multiple floppies (what is good to decrease floppy changes), but with different content - yes, there are such too. 

So, now want yet:  work with all TOS versions - in case of BAT problem was way of TOS version detection, and even if my adapt. works with TOS 1.04 in RAM it did some ROM TOS version check, and that resulted in bad memory locations for mouse read (pretty bad way, thanx to not enough detailed TOS DOCs) .  And of course state saves - what again may need extra work at IKBD reading code it game does not using TOS for input read. If yes, there is support for it in modded TOS in RAM, what saves plenty of time for me.

Term what I prefer: 'adaptation' is because it is in most cases not just 'patching' some parts of game code - for redirecting floppy access to hard disk - what would be ULS. There is more: little modded TOS 1.04 in RAM solves lot of things: TOS version incompatibility, mentioned state saves and exit to Desktop solving, usage of ST floppy images on real Ataris - which can have large sizes. Example:  Elvira Mistress of Dark 3.6 MB - game is on 5 floppies. While it using TOS functions - like it is case with about 65 % of Atari ST games . There is 'great' crew what claimed different, so I must be wrong. Sure, what can I know after dealing with over 1500 games ...

18 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, Atariforce, can you post a list of all the Atari ST game

conversions you have done?

Thanks.

Beat me to it, would be great to have a list of what's done ?

I looked about MV16 and audio data. Sample based, and rate seems to be 9600, controlled by Timer-A . MV16 is simple D-A converter for cartridge port, mono.  So, I think that should go on STE DMA audio playback. That will have better sound quality and less CPU load during playback. 

Anyone knows some good source of audio tracks for B.A.T. (1) , if possible stereo ?  Converting existing ones is possible, but stereo sounds better.