IGNORED

Star Raiders & Solaris NES space game followup from Doug Neubauer

Tidus79001

Wow, I never knew that Doug Neubauer worked on a space game for the Nintendo NES, let alone any more space games after Star Raiders and Solaris.  I know that Doug states this wasn't completed but I wonder if there is any early prototype out there of it, or any details on the game.  It would be great to know how far it got even if just to the point of concept art and to see any of it if it still exists.  Too bad this never came to be as it would have been EPIC!

https://dougneubauer.com/atari/

image.thumb.png.78f82edfcae5b485008d614f4a63f199.png

21 hours ago, Supergun said:

Have you played NES Star Voyager? It was one of the earliest titles released for the system and it looks, sounds, and plays like a spiritual successor to Star Raiders.

I have seen it but never really spent anytime playing with it despite my intentions to do so.  Maybe I will fire it up soon on my Atari VCS in PC mode using a NES emulator and my 8Bitdo Arcade Stick that I got specifically for use with NES games in PC mode since that controller is very much like the old NES Advantage controllers.

On 8/1/2021 at 2:36 AM, Supergun said:

Have you played NES Star Voyager? It was one of the earliest titles released for the system and it looks, sounds, and plays like a spiritual successor to Star Raiders.

Love that game.... it's hard as shit though.

• Like 1

There was a Famicom (Japan NES) game from Namco called Star Luster that is a lot like Star Raiders. I think the genre was pretty well played out in the US by then, we never got it. Maybe it will show up on Nintendo Switch Online someday. 

Does anyone know how to reach Doug? It would be neat if he kept his code and the game could be finished. 

There are plenty of “alone against the stars” first person spaceship games like that from classic gaming. I think I will go play some Everspace now. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Just bought Star Raiders with the instructions and track pad. Always wanted to figure this game out...

It seems to me it is different from the 5200 and 8bit versions, in that you don’t really steer to shoot a ship once it is on screen. You just time your shot to hit it as it flies by. You can steer towards them when the are off screenbut on the scanner, though. I remember being frustrated with the lack of on screen steering when I got it for Christmas back in 82 or 83. 

On 7/31/2021 at 11:36 PM, Supergun said:

I need to try that out -- I remember hearing about it before, but I never tried playing it.