IGNORED

Atari 5200 Behind Jaggi Lines Prototype 1-18-84

swlovinist

Swlovinist sent this to me for testing, here are my observations so far. It is definitely a unique build. Despite being earlier than the 2/13 and 2/29 builds on Tempest's site, it seems to contain elements midway between these two builds:

• Splash screen has 'Behind the Jaggi Lines' between the Atari Logo and the copyright.
  • Defaults to Level 01 rather than Level 04 like in the final version, and does not say 'Rescue on Fractalus' above the cockpit window.
  • Stars to not fade out when landing
  • There is no flashing indicator on the gauge when you are in range to land and pick up a pilot

title.jpg

level1.jpg

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I think this version is the exact same as the 2-13 version.  Everything seems to be exactly the same as what I wrote except the starting on the title screen thing and I may have been mistaken on that.

Good to know, I was just basing it off the write up on your site since there’s no available ROM. Title screen is definitely different, and it lacks the text menu/start screen on there as well. But all the other stuff is the same, so I’d guess it’s probably very close in time to that dump. 

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I think this version is the exact same as the 2-13 version.  Everything seems to be exactly the same as what I wrote except the starting on the title screen thing and I may have been mistaken on that.

Feel free to add it to your site.   At least this version of the rom has been saved.  

1 hour ago, Lord Thag said:

Good to know, I was just basing it off the write up on your site since there’s no available ROM. Title screen is definitely different, and it lacks the text menu/start screen on there as well. But all the other stuff is the same, so I’d guess it’s probably very close in time to that dump. 

The title screen looks the same to me.  Am I missing something?

9 minutes ago, Tempest said:

The title screen looks the same to me.  Am I missing something?

Yeah, I think so. Your site has the 2/13 title screen as text only, where it lists levels, score etc with the ‘Behind the Jaggi Lines’ at the top. This is entirely lacking in swlovinist’s version. The one posted here just has ‘Behind the Jaggi Lines’ written beneath the normal boot up Atari splash screen, just above the copyright, and does not have a text only title screen. It boots directly to the cockpit view, as in the final version, minus the title up top, and defaults to level 1, rather than 4 like in the final version. The other differences are the same as the 2/13 version you wrote up, so far as I can tell. The lack of a title screen, and the differences in the cockpit view make this a legit different rom, I think. There may be more small changes, I will be checking when I have some time. 

4 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

Yeah, I think so. Your site has the 2/13 title screen as text only, where it lists levels, score etc with the ‘Behind the Jaggi Lines’ at the top. This is entirely lacking in swlovinist’s version. The one posted here just has ‘Behind the Jaggi Lines’ written beneath the normal boot up Atari splash screen, just above the copyright, and does not have a text only title screen. It boots directly to the cockpit view, as in the final version, minus the title up top, and defaults to level 1, rather than 4 like in the final version. The other differences are the same as the 2/13 version you wrote up, so far as I can tell. The lack of a title screen, and the differences in the cockpit view make this a legit different rom, I think. There may be more small changes, I will be checking when I have some time. 

I'm still not seeing what you're talking about.  The colors are a little different but I think that's the emulator.

1-18-84

ROF.png.66908c518e11f0b57098fcd284567328.png

2-13-84

jaggi_1.png.132c7381cf34460762dd18fd12f0536c.png

14 hours ago, Tempest said:

I'm still not seeing what you're talking about.  The colors are a little different but I think that's the emulator.

1-18-84

ROF.png.66908c518e11f0b57098fcd284567328.png

2-13-84

jaggi_1.png.132c7381cf34460762dd18fd12f0536c.png

Ah ok, I think the confusion comes down to terminology. You listed the above screen as the title screen in your write up, and I was assuming that meant 'the screen that the game boots into' by that, as you have to hit the 5200 '*' key to bring this menu up. The game actually boots into the cockpit view on Level 01, as I detailed above.

If this is how the 2/13 rom behaves as well, then I agree, they are the same so far as I can tell so far.

I don't know if the 2-13 rom boots into the cockpit or title screen honestly.  Since everything else seems the same I'm going to assume that it boots into the cockpit and I made a mistake in my writeup.  I can't be 100% sure on that though.  It's possible that there is this one small difference between the two roms.

I really wish I knew what happened to that 2-13 rom.  It's one of a very small handful of roms that I'm missing from my archives.  So weird...

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

I don't know if the 2-13 rom boots into the cockpit or title screen honestly.  Since everything else seems the same I'm going to assume that it boots into the cockpit and I made a mistake in my writeup.  I can't be 100% sure on that though.  It's possible that there is this one small difference between the two roms.

I really wish I knew what happened to that 2-13 rom.  It's one of a very small handful of roms that I'm missing from my archives.  So weird...

That's a shame, I hate it when I lose stuff like that. You're probably right, but yeah, hard to say now. When I have some time I will delve into this dump further and see if there are any other differences. I'd be hesitant to assume this was the same without actually comparing the two though, even though I suspect you're probably right.