IGNORED

Atari 5200 Battlezone and Behind Jaggi Lines Prototype 1-18-84

swlovinist

I think this proto is the same as the 2-13 one but I can't be sure because I no longer have the 2-13 rom.  The description on my page (http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/rof/21384.htm) matches what I'm seeing in this one.  If they're different then the differences are small, but like I said I don't have the 2-13 rom anymore to check it against.

If someone has the rom of the 2-13-84, we need to compare at the binary level.   Sometimes just playing the game we will not see major differences.   I have a pole position that plays different.   The code is a little different when comparing the two.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:29 PM, Tempest said:

I think this proto is the same as the 2-13 one but I can't be sure because I no longer have the 2-13 rom.  The description on my page (http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/rof/21384.htm) matches what I'm seeing in this one.  If they're different then the differences are small, but like I said I don't have the 2-13 rom anymore to check it against.

Well, there's one difference between your description of 2-13 and this 1-18 proto. The 2-13 version "starts up on the main title screen instead of the cockpit screen" (which is the same behaviour as in the well-known Atari 8-bit leaked beta), while the 1-18 proto starts on the cockpit screen. That seems chronologically confusing though - the 1-18 proto and the final version start on the cockpit screen, while the version inbetween does not.

EDIT: I've found another independent review of the 2-13 prototype at Digital Press, where it is mentioned that it did not contain the Lucasfilm splash screen, it allowed to select any level up to 99, and it did not allow skip ahead levels after completing a mission (again, same behaviour as in the 8-bit leaked beta). But the 1-18 prototype contains the Lucasfilm screen, only allows to select levels up to 16, and allows to skip up to 3 levels after a mission (though it still does not contain Ace pilots). So if the Digital Press description is correct, then the 1-18 prototype is closer to the final version than the 2-13 one!

Edited by Kr0tki