IGNORED

W.A.R., new game

Philsan

2 hours ago, darwinmac said:

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=8052

News section on Fandal’s site. 

Bob C

Thank you. The site was in my mind but had lost the url.  The new picture Lost in Kyoto is fantastic, too.

W.A.R. is great fun! Every new or ported A8 title makes A8 look that much more attractive to the retro community, imo.  Thank you very much @Fandal and @Poison! Great music and gameplay.  How much work was it to port?

On 7/31/2021 at 8:50 PM, Mclaneinc said:

Really liked the C64 version, but music from Hubbard always pleased..

Liking the XL version a lot, never can say no to a shooter, well done people..

Music aside (and some border sprites) the C64 version was awful as I remember, totally different game….

This version looks rather spiffing…

Edited by Jetboot Jack

It does look cool, I will have to give it a try. But regarding the small game play window, (which I know is like that on the A8 because it's a port of the BBC that has a small window) did the BBC lack sprites so it needed a small window so it would be an acceptable frame-rate with soft-sprites? But also, doesn't the BBC Micro 6502 run at 2Mhz?

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

But regarding the small game play window, (which I know is like that on the A8 because it's a port of the BBC that has a small window) did the BBC lack sprites so it needed a small window so it would be an acceptable frame-rate with soft-sprites? But also, doesn't the BBC Micro 6502 run at 2Mhz?

Yes limited play area presumably due to the BBC micro's limited draw rate. Looks like it is CPU driven? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Music aside (and some border sprites) the C64 version was awful as I remember, totally different game….

This version looks rather spiffing…

Yes, very much a different game, but I'm a sucker for a shooter, even 1.99 looks like it was made with SEUCK ones :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Looks like it is CPU driven?

Yes, seems designed to better run on a CPU-dominant profile. Actual visible area may have been kept limited probably for such reason.

I am not sure, however, if the original version is an example of how far could you really go on the BBC.... but if we want to see how superior the A8 can render such scroller-shooters, look no further: The Last Squadron, which makes this (good) conversion looks like a lab. prototype.

But I do enjoy looking that these "Gr.8"-mode conversions, in general... they are not the typical stuff we see implemented on A8.

• Like 1

This is what currently fascinates me the most in Atari game devs. Gr. 8 mode used in conversions (including Monty On The Run) which I find very pleasing to see, even if the look remains monochrome most of the time. The idea of using P/M as smart underlays is great and with good programming the playability stays intact like in these examples.

Great game, I like it! ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gury said:

This is what currently fascinates me the most in Atari game devs. Gr. 8 mode used in conversions (including Monty On The Run) which I find very pleasing to see, even if the look remains monochrome most of the time. The idea of using P/M as smart underlays is great and with good programming the playability stays intact like in these examples.

Great game, I like it! ?

Might it actually be graphics 0? ... with redefined chars? I have not analysed it.