IGNORED

HDDriver 11 not working on Falcon, wha?

Randy

Thanks Chri!  OK went back and unzipped a different copy, those damn sys files that windows leave on the floppy probably buggered it.  Clean copy unzipped and worked fine, although I can't seem to get the CF card to boot, will go back and do that again and install the boot file.

OK, am having mucho trouble booting from the CF, I choose to have C, D, and E as bootable partitions, is that the problem?  It seems as though there needs to be HDDriver.prg present to allow the CF partitions to boot, but can I have multiple partitions as boot partition ala PP's SD card program on the ST and TT and select among them?

OK, if setting up my TT was an exercise in assfuckery, this Falcon CF card takes it to another level, 'bout ready to bring out the hammer!  The CF refuses to be the boot drive, and everything just wants to run off the floppy (auto folder, xcontrol, etc.) The partitions are there and proper, but the Falcon refuses to boot from C, always going to A which has the falcon language disk and HDDriver program, if I try a different floppy I get 2 bombs, WTH is going on here?

4 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Are you installing HDDriver to your boot drive?  See that I have the C drive selected in the background?  Then under the menu you can install the driver.

image.thumb.png.5817de162a19463b54ba0f6e565ee7bf.png

I thought I was doing that, but when I run the install HDDriver to the c (and I also wanted to be able to boot from d & e, is that possible to select which drive you boot from?) all that I get on the c drive is hddriver.sys file, the program seems to be saving everything back onto the A drive, which is where my HDDriver application is. I did make an auto folder on the c drive and install HDDriver.prg there, but that causes 2 bombs when I try to force the load from c by removing the falcon language disk which also has the HDDriver folder.

3 minutes ago, Randy said:

I thought I was doing that, but when I run the install HDDriver to the c (and I also wanted to be able to boot from d & e, is that possible to select which drive you boot from?) all that I get on the c drive is hddriver.sys file, the program seems to be saving everything back onto the A drive, which is where my HDDriver application is. I did make an auto folder on the c drive and install HDDriver.prg there, but that causes 2 bombs when I try to force the load from c by removing the falcon language disk which also has the HDDriver folder.

You do not need the program in the auto folder after installation. Delete it. You do have to reboot after installation. it might still run from floppy on that reboot, but go back into the program and use the locate driver option listed in that menu that you see in my example and select it on the c drive. This next part is extremely important, use the quit option in that same menu.  This writes out all your current options to the driver on the c drive so the computer can boot from c.

I have never used multiple boot drives at the same time, so I cannot comment on that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Randy said:

OK, am having mucho trouble booting from the CF, I choose to have C, D, and E as bootable partitions, is that the problem?  It seems as though there needs to be HDDriver.prg present to allow the CF partitions to boot, but can I have multiple partitions as boot partition ala PP's SD card program on the ST and TT and select among them?

My driver works different than usual solutions. Driver self is not in file (usually with extension SYS) in partition C (first one), but it is at begin of disk, after MBR (Master boot record). It has benefits:  easier update, simpler code to load driver (and that's important) because space in bootsector is limited (and that's the reason for limits of 16 or 32 MB for first partition C by many drivers, not some TOS limitation, as self declared 'experts' pushing over and over again on diverse WEB pages).  Simple swapping of partitions - any of partitions D-P can be swapped with C, without need to have  any driver SYS file on them. It is just change of drive letters - and it can be useful, for instance for easy setup change - you have most used setup (so AUTO folder, ACCessories, Desktop related in default C (first physical partition), and some different ones on following partitions - then if press for instance E when driver messages appear on screen third physical part will be C:, and AUTO, ACC will load from it. Default C will be E:  .  And there is IDE driver what can all it (even special Falcon version).

37 minutes ago, TPAU65 said:

@Randy just to be sure: The partitions on the CF card are partitioned with HDDriver in the "TOS only" format? So no combined TOS/Windows CF, as this will not work as a bootable card!

Thanks T'Pau, if I accidentally did the incorrect format, is there a way to go back and re-partition the card again?

Since it's a Falcon, and therefore IDE, the "byte swap" matters too.  One can boot, the other can't... (I don't remember off hand which is which).

But seriously, Uwe Siemet is the person to ask about this.  He still supports his driver, so why not just go straight to the source?  He's always been quick to respond to any questions I've had in the past.

Well, like I said... I struggled with this myself, and while I don't have my notes handy... I seem to remember that when dealing with the IDE (Falcon) the byte swapping setting that let me use the card on the PC didn't allow the card to boot (or something like that).

I can't remember the details, but I just remember struggling with it and finally having to use the "more efficient" setting (one is more efficient than the other) on the "boot" CF, and the other setting on the "data" CF (On my falcon, I have a dual CF IDE adapter) and when I wanted to copy anything to the "boot" CF, I'd use the UIP Tool or copy it to the "data" CF using the PC's CF card slot and then copy it to the "Boot" CF.

I don't seem to remember that this is an issue with SCSI (like I have with the AztecMonster on the TT).

21 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

My driver works different than usual solutions. Driver self is not in file (usually with extension SYS) in partition C (first one), but it is at begin of disk, after MBR (Master boot record). It has benefits:  easier update, simpler code to load driver (and that's important) because space in bootsector is limited (and that's the reason for limits of 16 or 32 MB for first partition C by many drivers, not some TOS limitation, as self declared 'experts' pushing over and over again on diverse WEB pages).  Simple swapping of partitions - any of partitions D-P can be swapped with C, without need to have  any driver SYS file on them. It is just change of drive letters - and it can be useful, for instance for easy setup change - you have most used setup (so AUTO folder, ACCessories, Desktop related in default C (first physical partition), and some different ones on following partitions - then if press for instance E when driver messages appear on screen third physical part will be C:, and AUTO, ACC will load from it. Default C will be E:  .  And there is IDE driver what can all it (even special Falcon version).

Hi Peter, are you saying I can use your software to partition and get this CF card in the Falcon to work?  I did try it briefly but the software would not recognize the CF card, may have to try again.

I appreciate all of the suggestions, I really do. I had just bought HDDriver and was following a youtube video to make the CF card work, which seems very straightforward.  I was able to get the first card to partition but never work as a boot drive even when I was able to follow along most of the directions, but it seems, as always, something is left out which should be obvious but not for first time users!  Now, I can't even get HDDriver to partition ANY cards, even the old one as I was trying to see if I had done something wrong with some of the mentioned stuff here.  Maybe HDDriver is now boned on all my floppy copies, may have to try a new copy which just seems so damn stupid and silly.  I am hoping when Uwe's manual arrives maybe I can get it to work, but right now, this is without a doubt the biggest pile of shit I have ever dealt with, even my travails with getting the TT working seems trivial by comparison.  It just refuses to work, period.  Got partitions on the one disk but no boot, no way.  While waiting I will reach out to Uwe and see what he says, I so wish this had ACSI as that, with Peter's software and the US, was pretty straightforward with just one hiccup that I was able to work out.  But this? What a steaming pile!  I would NEVER recommend this to a beginner, and thus the Falcon.  Honestly, the Mega STe is so simple compared to the TT and Falcon, almost no HDD problems or software incompatibilities, makes me wish I had stopped there and never bought a TT or Falcon.

9 hours ago, Randy said:

Hi Peter, are you saying I can use your software to partition and get this CF card in the Falcon to work?  I did try it briefly but the software would not recognize the CF card, may have to try again.

Of course that my SW can partition CF card on Falcon. But I'm not sure that you got from me Falcon specific version of driver - drop me e-mail about it .  Partitioner program is same in UltraSatan and Falcon packages, you just need to click on IDE. CF cards will be detected in most cases, the real problem is writing on them.

Detailed analysis about it here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/astideTP.html

Most reliable brand for old computers is Sandisk (original, not fake, so better buy at some trusted place). And don't buy very fast (and more expensive) cards, no sense to buy some 100 MB/sec capable card for old computer what can max some 3 MB/sec . + very fast cards may not work at all with adapters for Ataris (and that stays for SD cards too) .

I don't think that Hddriver is problem in your case. What CF card(s) you tried to partition ? It's util is not so simple, that's sure. And I know for sure that IDE in TOS/DOS compatible mode (what means byte swap too) can not autoboot with Hddriver (I even wrote him about how can solve it, but was not interested) .

I solved it long time ago, and there is hardware byte-swap possible too - what is good for speed. 

HW byte-swap (twisted IDE cable) and many more: http://atari.8bitchip.info/astams.php

At moment preparing up to date page about mass storage with Atari ST family.

• Like 1

I had same issue with HD Driver many times...

...And I always forgot to write down steps how to do it properly :(

Problem is connected to from where you are starting hddriver and what you choose in menu “locate hddriver”... IIRC

In a few days I could give it a try on my Falcon but simplest solution is to use (buy) Peters driver! :) 

Only “downside” is that it does not work with CT60/63 and then you are stuck with HDDriver... 

Edited by calimero

On 8/3/2021 at 1:40 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Of course that my SW can partition CF card on Falcon. But I'm not sure that you got from me Falcon specific version of driver - drop me e-mail about it .  Partitioner program is same in UltraSatan and Falcon packages, you just need to click on IDE. CF cards will be detected in most cases, the real problem is writing on them.

Detailed analysis about it here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/astideTP.html

Most reliable brand for old computers is Sandisk (original, not fake, so better buy at some trusted place). And don't buy very fast (and more expensive) cards, no sense to buy some 100 MB/sec capable card for old computer what can max some 3 MB/sec . + very fast cards may not work at all with adapters for Ataris (and that stays for SD cards too) .

I don't think that Hddriver is problem in your case. What CF card(s) you tried to partition ? It's util is not so simple, that's sure. And I know for sure that IDE in TOS/DOS compatible mode (what means byte swap too) can not autoboot with Hddriver (I even wrote him about how can solve it, but was not interested) .

I solved it long time ago, and there is hardware byte-swap possible too - what is good for speed. 

HW byte-swap (twisted IDE cable) and many more: http://atari.8bitchip.info/astams.php

At moment preparing up to date page about mass storage with Atari ST family.

Thanks Peter, I finally tried your partitioner and was able to partition the CF disk , the lights on the CF adapter were blinking away as the new partitions were made.  However, the boot writing program could not find the CF, kept saying "couldn't find the HD".  My settings were "Master" Tw. IDE, and 511 meg for each partition (couldn't get bigger partitions as the software wouldn't work then).  The version I have is the one that came with the US, which US  which I assume that the US person licensed from you, correct?  In the .doc file it did talk about using it with the Falcon.  Thanks.

21 hours ago, Randy said:

Thanks Peter, I finally tried your partitioner and was able to partition the CF disk , the lights on the CF adapter were blinking away as the new partitions were made.  However, the boot writing program could not find the CF, kept saying "couldn't find the HD".  My settings were "Master" Tw. IDE, and 511 meg for each partition (couldn't get bigger partitions as the software wouldn't work then).  The version I have is the one that came with the US, which US  which I assume that the US person licensed from you, correct?  In the .doc file it did talk about using it with the Falcon.  Thanks.

You don't have Falcon driver installer. Just send me e-mail, and I will send you it with instructions. No new license needed.

• Like 1

Woohoo, the file you sent Peter worked great, I am now partitioned and booting thanks to your software, easy-peasy!  One thing I did note, when I loaded the Falcon Language disk files onto the C drive, I was getting two bombs every time.  After picking and choosing the files, it appears that the CPX module locator is causing the bombs.  When booting from the Falcon Language disk on floppy, the CPX modules are not loaded, something to do with setting the location of the folder that has the CPX modules in it.  If I setup the folder location on the C partition, I get 2 bombs.  Not sure what is going on, but will look into this once I get the motherboard recapped and the new exoss NVRAM clock module and memory installed and give it a go.  Thanks Peter!