Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Will the Amico online leaderboards be available in Oct 21?

Is this all set up and ready to go for the october launch?

anyone know?

bueller?

• Like 1

I didn't think the system and/or games were gonna be ready for the October launch.  Was it confirmed and I'm just behind?

• Like 1

Yes system and games confirmed to be ready for this October.  What we don't know about is manufacturing.

13 hours ago, Rev said:

anyone know?

bueller?

I don't think an October launch has been confirmed. So I'm not sure it is going to matter if there are leaderboards set up or not. They still aren't showing up as having passed compliance. 

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm?calledFromFrame=N

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/1/2021 at 9:06 PM, mr_me said:

Yes system and games confirmed to be ready for this October.  What we don't know about is manufacturing.

That's not happening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's true.  They already said they don't have the parts to do volume manufacturing.  If they want to pay the price to produce a small number, it's up to them.

• Confused 2

If these parts are anything like construction materials. The prices arent coming down in a long while. And when they do, not much at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, godslabrat said:

That's not happening.

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

If these parts are anything like construction materials. The prices arent coming down in a long while. And when they do, not much at all.

Still haven't passed compliance either according to the website. The not having parts could potentially be holding up the certifications. You have to have the parts to manufacture the board to then get tested. I know they have some Amicos to demo games, but if those are earlier builds they might not be appropriate for the certification process (in terms of the final design).

They could be looking at changing the hardware to accommodate parts and that would require them to recertify. If they know they are going to do that then certifying the current final build would be a waste of money. And it sounds like that's a concern.

By not securing parts early in this process they've possibly shot themselves in the foot. I wouldn't be surprised to see the console price raised before it is all said and done.

I'm not sure following the Atari gameplan of a soft launch is a great idea unless they really need that extra $200 on 2600 FEs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hard to say what's going on.  Electronic parts suppliers are breaking contracts to sell to higher bidders.  Every contract has a way out and if there is a financial penalty, they make it up many times over.  Putting out a few thousand units at high cost might represent less than one percent of lifetime sales, the extra cost can be managed.

Edited by mr_me
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Still haven't passed compliance either according to the website. The not having parts could potentially be holding up the certifications. You have to have the parts to manufacture the board to then get tested. I know they have some Amicos to demo games, but if those are earlier builds they might not be appropriate for the certification process (in terms of the final design).

They could be looking at changing the hardware to accommodate parts and that would require them to recertify. If they know they are going to do that then certifying the current final build would be a waste of money. And it sounds like that's a concern.

By not securing parts early in this process they've possibly shot themselves in the foot. I wouldn't be surprised to see the console price raised before it is all said and done.

I'm not sure following the Atari gameplan of a soft launch is a great idea unless they really need that extra $200 on 2600 FEs.

Which basically means the system isn't ready.  It wasn't certified in the first place, so either it needs to pass that stage or just be retooled so it can be certified.  Either way, major changes.  And that's making the HUGE assumption that the Amico works the way it's supposed to.  That's highly suspect.

Maybe the games are ready, maybe they aren't.  If they are, it's been a really weird way to communicate that.

The whole project is just a mess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Which basically means the system isn't ready.  It wasn't certified in the first place, so either it needs to pass that stage or just be retooled so it can be certified.  Either way, major changes.  And that's making the HUGE assumption that the Amico works the way it's supposed to.  That's highly suspect.

Maybe the games are ready, maybe they aren't.  If they are, it's been a really weird way to communicate that.

The whole project is just a mess.

Cornhole doesn't sound ready either. So unless they are going to do day one patches, like they said they wouldn't, then that isn't ready either.

• Sad 1

I dont want a bunch of patches. Have had plenty of time to perfect these games.

• Like 1

Just now, Rev said:

I dont want a bunch of patches. Have had plenty of time to perfect these games.

Yup. The delay means there should have been MORE software finished. There was a point it was suppose to be around 35. Now it is around 20. My guess is lack of money coming in to pay devs, so there are games just waiting to be finished.

I think it is weird that Alvarado is the one overhauling the Cornhole controls than the dev team who made it. 

Intellivision Entertainment is active in the design of many of these games.  It's not surprising that they contribute code.  That code we saw demonstrated in the video might have already been implemented in the game by the developers.  Developers will continue to improve games right up until they are told they can't. It's how it's always been.  Whenever the console release is pushed back so is the time games can be improved.

43 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Intellivision Entertainment is active in the design of many of these games.  It's not surprising that they contribute code.  That code we saw demonstrated in the video might have already been implemented in the game by the developers.  Developers will continue to improve games right up until they are told they can't. It's how it's always been.  Whenever the console release is pushed back so is the time games can be improved.

So you are saying they would have pushed out a crappy version of cornhole if they could have made their previous two launch dates? 

I get wanting to improve but if there is any chance of an October date it should have been done by now. All the pack in games should have been polished over a year ago. They were on the launchpad!

• Like 2

Who's saying the other version was crappy.  The updated version is more accurate.  A game doesn't have to be accurate to be fun, e.g Wii Sports.  People are complaining because the new version has more inputs, and now the original version that had fewer inputs is now crappy?

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Who's saying the other version was crappy.  The updated version is more accurate.  A game doesn't have to be accurate to be fun, e.g Wii Sports.  People are complaining because the new version has more inputs, and now the original version that had fewer inputs is now crappy?

They said it wasn't fun enough. This was their pack in game to bring you back to Wii Sports. So yeah, I take that as crappy. Now my definition and yours might differ. Personally I'd like to see how both versions worked.

I don't know if this is the case but it is entirely possible that both versions are different degrees of crappy. :P

What was shown with that demo looked way more complex than it should be. They might as well just make it like this. Instead of a button push you are making a motion. That seems to be the only real difference. 

• Like 2

Depends on the person.  Someone expecting accuracy might find Wii Bowling gimmicky.  But as you know many find it fun.  As I said before, Wii Bowling had a two step aiming process before the throw motion.  What I see in that Amico demo is more intuitive than Wii Bowling.  And just like Wii Bowling there's no reason you can't skip the aiming options, use default aiming, and just throw.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, Rev said:

anyone know?

bueller?

highly unlikely

• Haha 1