IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 15 - Game 3 - Space Hawk w/ Space Gunner Bonus

[ Intellivision HSC Season 15 ]

(Game 3)

Space Hawk

Space_Hawk.jpg.7e3c59100e00c5c5b0374f2afb9a5c1c.jpg

Space Hawk by Mattel Electronics 1981/82

You're equipped with a jetpack for directional avoidance control, a blaster for protection and 5 force shields.

space_hawk.gif.26e282e60be3057cc17fdfeb9203c43d.gif

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21611/intellivision/Space-Hawk-1981-Mattel.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Space Hawk

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

5,123,880 mr_me

Game Setting

PRESS DISC

Game ends,
SUNDAY NIGHT AUGUST 15TH 11:59:59PM EASTERN TIME

Bonus Game

Sharp Shot - Space Gunner

Sharp_Shot.jpg.1d2359499dbb87853167c8241fa27570.jpg

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21592/intellivision/Sharp-Shot-1982-Mattel.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Sharp Shot

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

94 - JacobZu7zu7

Game Setting

PRESS BUTTON 2

+7 1st place

+6 2nd

+5 3rd

+4 4th

+3 5th

+2 6th

7th or lower,

+1 participation point

(MAIN GAME SCORES)

Space Hawk

1,006,530 - Rickster8 [+13][+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE]

630,020 - Mark Griff [+12]

524,800 - gar0u [+11]

----------------------------

402,260 - mr_me [+9]

382,210 - Sprazzi [+8]

236,130 - gezkc [+7]

103,250 - Wolfy62 [+6]

16,280 - Lupovax [+5]

16,040 - ed1475 [+4]

1,700 - roadrunner [+3]

1,140 - jblenkle [+2]

760 - fakecortex [+1]

(BONUS GAME SCORES)

Space Gunner

85 - Rickster8 [+7][+1 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE]

81 - Sprazzi [+6]

81 - Lupovax [+6]

79 - Mark Griff [+4]

71 - ed1475 [+3]

70 - gar0u [+2]

69 - fakecortex [+1]

67 - wolfy62 [+1]

67 - JacobZu7zu7 [+1]

64 - gezkc [+1]

Rankings

After Motocross

1 Rickster8 55
2 Sprazzi 27
2 Mark Griff 27
4 Wolfy62 25
5 mr_me 20
6 gezkc 19
7 IntyFanMatt 18
8 CParsley 15
9 lupovax 13
10 RogerPoco 11
11 t0spmad 10
12 ed1475 6
13 jblenkle 5
14 JacobZu7zu7 4
15 fakecortex 3
16 roadrunner 2
16 gar0u 2

Games Won

1 RogerPoco - White Water

1 IntyFanMatt - Dreadnaught Factor

1 Sprazzi - White Water

1 Rickster8 - Motocross x3

Sneak Preview:

Bomb Squad (Game 4) - Intellivoice Game 1

Edited by Rickster8
Added in more scores.
  • Like 1

Haha!

Space Gunner is all but one-handed, lol, and I like the game, I MAY try to poop on the Bonus Party again!!!

:P

Space Hawk?

Own it, looked at it a time or two, can't really bring myself to bother figuring out what the hell is going on...

Space Gunner-

You DO gotta be quick on the trigger, but no matter how good you are, if you don't get a good set, you won't get a good score, so you can't just assume because you "did bad" that it was your fault, you may just not have gotten good ships to chain together and stuff.

So it's "Skilluck".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Space Hawk could literally go on forever. It’s an endurance test and to see who has the strongest thumb. 

Lol not if I'm playing it. I am dreadfully bad at this game. I just don't get it at all. I've never even gotten 10k in this game, NOT KIDDING!!!! ?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Lol not if I'm playing it. I am dreadfully bad at this game. I just don't get it at all. I've never even gotten 10k in this game, NOT KIDDING!!!! ?

Seriously, Man, is an example of "strokes and folks"-you KNOW I am decent. I KNOW you are decent.

Some people just don't click with certain games, is actually the fun of the HSC's, I've more or less bowed out of the 2600 HSC, managed to finish in the Silver bracket and when I look at the game list it looks like a bunch of games I stink at, haha, "planned" to finish in the Gold like the last two seasons, but on account of the games was actually surprised to even finish silver.

You already know my main weakness, and it's a BIG hole-if I gotta shoot "up" the screen, like Space Invaders or anything resembling it, I'll give you a performance to laugh at!!!

(I don't really see Space Gunner as "shooting up", as the target is fixed)

Worst part, I actually think/wonder that Space Hawk doesn't suck, I just can't bring myself to check it out, "too many games, too little time".

:D

• Like 1

I recall drifting through space during summer vacation with multi-hour sessions of Space Hawk.  I used to imagine my base had been destroyed after losing Space Battle or Astrosmash, then it was just me and my jet pack, drifting endlessly until I died.

Playing this on using the jzintv emulator on a Pi feels frenetic--not restful.  There's no drifting--it's just zoom, Zoom, ZOOM!  Might have to get out my Intellivision II and see how the real cart feels.

IMG_5976.thumb.JPG.414970eab9e5637839e4cb5ae79c5e55.JPG

I'm new to Sharp Shot from last year's HSC.  I always feel good about my score, until I see the box art; "Specially designed for children 4 and up!".  /sigh

IMG_5975.thumb.jpg.f01a5290de0416d2107713d058882f56.jpg

Expect to play more Space Hawk before the deadline.  Not sure I can improve on my Sharp Shot score.  I think if you miss, you miss, and there is a finite number of ships, right?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Playing this on using the jzintv emulator on a Pi feels frenetic--not restful.  There's no drifting--it's just zoom, Zoom, ZOOM!  Might have to get out my Intellivision II and see how the real cart feels.

You must have changed it from drift to direct drive.  It should default to drift.  Have a look at the instructions.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160313141215/http://kentrepairs.com/Documents/Entertainment/Intellivision/Manuals/IM_Space_Hawk.pdf

I definitely play drift/quick/auto fire.  The speed of everything felt fast, like overclocked.  The hawks, the bubbles, my astronaut, it was all so much faster than I remember as a kid.  Maybe my reflexes are just horrible now, but I don't remember this being a particularly fast game.  Wondering if emulation made it faster?

I still have absolutely no idea what is going on in this game. I actually had this game as a kid. Didn't get it then, don't get it now. I have to see if I have the overlays lying around somewhere as that may help a little.... I've read the manual, didn't really help me... I will give it a go this weekend. The goal here is to 'try' and get better at it... ?

• Like 1

Rick, just shoot stuff.  ;)

Think of Space Hawk like an Asteroids port to Intellivision. 

You could just spin in circles shooting stuff or use your jetpack to move around.  There are "quick" and "smooth" rotations using the disc and those are set with the keypad.  You can also change how your jetpack works with "drift" or "direct".  I prefer autofire, which is also turned on/off via the keypad.  Play a game and if you don't like how your controls work, try changing quick/smooth or drift/direct.  There are really only four combinations.

Eventually you might need to use the hyperspace button to teleport out of a tough situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Rick, just shoot stuff.  ;)

Think of Space Hawk like an Asteroids port to Intellivision. 

You could just spin in circles shooting stuff or use your jetpack to move around.  There are "quick" and "smooth" rotations using the disc and those are set with the keypad.  You can also change how your jetpack works with "drift" or "direct".  I prefer autofire, which is also turned on/off via the keypad.  Play a game and if you don't like how your controls work, try changing quick/smooth or drift/direct.  There are really only four combinations.

Eventually you might need to use the hyperspace button to teleport out of a tough situation.

Thx, yeah it's the weirdest thing. I just cannot ever seem to control the guy right. He just shoots off into space with no rhyme or reason where's he's going. Lol the spaceships seemingly shoot bubbles at you, that's what they look like anyway. The score you got here is pie in the sky for me on this one... ?

50 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Thx, yeah it's the weirdest thing. I just cannot ever seem to control the guy right. He just shoots off into space with no rhyme or reason where's he's going. Lol the spaceships seemingly shoot bubbles at you, that's what they look like anyway. The score you got here is pie in the sky for me on this one... ?

I think you should pass on this game and wait for the next one to start.

That will give me a chance to move up in the standings.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

It's based on classic physics: an object in motion stays in motion.  If you are moving north and want to change direction to go east, you should thrust in a south east direction to counter your north momentum.  A regular space hawk is worth ten times the points of a bubble and a small space hawk forty times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

It's based on classic physics: an object in motion stays in motion.  If you are moving north and want to change direction to go east, you should thrust in a south east direction to counter your north momentum.  A regular space hawk is worth ten times the points of a bubble and a small space hawk forty times.

Yep, I found the overlay this morning so hopefully that helps... ?