IGNORED

HSC18 Round 13: PHOENIX LAIR & SPACE MINES

Phoenix Lair and Space Mines

A couple of unknown games romped home to win the poll so let's see how they fare. We can add another game if needed. Round ends Sunday 15th August 10am UK time. Early players please post some info about the games / settings if there are any, I won't be able to play for a couple of days :)  [great info on posts below - thanks carlsson :thumbsup: ]

Phoenix Lair

[edit] had a quick play on altirra using keyboard 1,490 looks another nice game. Atarimania ATR version loads ok by APE on my 130XE will try and diskcopy that one and report back later this week.

Looked for a pause key [Ctrl]-1 stopped it but doesn't seem to want to start again!!!

phoenix_lair.png.af06da077ce6b5c182a10c80234ce1de.png

Space Mines

[Esc]=pause

space_mines!.png.a39fd41c76576cffbdc6c6288248a3c2.png

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4256

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=P&tg=Phoenix Lair#Phoenix Lair

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7937

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY, JUST POST YOUR SCORES!

• Like 2

Some early scores:

Phoenix Lair - 1560 pts (level 2)
Space Mines! - 6600 pts

Both of these games feel like bonus games from another round.

In Phoenix Lair you control a bird, perhaps a cross between Joust, Chuckie Egg and some platform game, picking up eggs. Between each level there is some kind of bonus game where you attack a horse rider from above. I suppose it provides some challenge if you get into it.

Space Mines! reminds me a little of a mix of Qix, Bug Off and Boulder Dash... You place some kind of markers on the screen, and lure the enemies to get stuck into it without moving into it yourself. A little frantic but once you have placed your markers, all you have to do is wait and perhaps escape if enemies get too close. I'll be interested to see if it develops any on later levels or if it is just about more enemies.

I didn't see any particular settings other than starting level on either of the games. Perhaps it will be a good opportunity for newcomers to catch up on previous rounds.

space-mines-6600.thumb.jpg.ab66bc5887eba946d697816525c9631d.jpg

Edit: Ok, we have two sources of information regarding Phoenix Lair. First is the catalog blurb found on Atarimania:

Phoenix Lair is an arcade style game that consists of ten increasingly difficult boards and can be played at ten speeds. Phoenix Lair introduces a new concept to home arcade entertainment; the interlude board. After each board of Phoenix Lair is cleared, the player participates in a head-to-head joust against the Pharis Hailex, principal knight of the Kingdom of Pharis. Success in unseating the Pharis Hailex without being hit by his mount, gains the player bonus points. The interlude board actually gives the player two games for the price of one, while requiring different strategies and reflexes for maximum bonus points. The music accompanying the game may be turned on or off at will.

The ten levels of play begin with one training level, but rapidly escalate to complex levels requiring problem solving at arcade speed. Two local Pharis villains pursue the Phoenix at higher levels, adding to the complexity of these higher boards. Many surprises are in store for the player who is fortunate enough to complete the higher boards. The exciting multiple strategies, the interlude jousting challenge, the bright and lively colors and music all make Phoenix Lair, from MMG Micro Software, a great arcade game. Phoenix Lair requires 48K of RAM and one disk drive.

GTW64 has a similar quote on their page:

An arcade style game comprised of 10 boards and 10 speed levels. It is unlike any game on the market today. Multiple strategies, an interlude jousting challenge between boards, bright and lively colours and music add to the already superb play of this completely unique and different game.

Game Play: The game begins at board one and advances to higher boards after successful completion. Many obstacles are encountered on the various boards as points are accumulated. At the beginning of each board, the Phoenix must leave its lair in search of enemy eggs. The Phoenix flight is controlled in height by the joystick button, and in direction by the joystick itself. After successfully destroying at least six of these eggs the Phoenix must return to the far right side of its lair. Points are awarded based on the total number of eggs destroyed and the time in which it took to complete the mission. A fast mission will result in additional bonus points. You begin with 5 lives and gain additional lives at boards 7,9 and 10. PHOENIX LAIR is all machine language. Requires 40K RAM, a disk drive and 1 joystick.

So perhaps it poses a challenge to get through all 10 boards, and good to know that you only need to pick up/destroy 6 eggs to complete a screen, though you get bonus if you get more.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 6

Space Mines! is discussed here: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/313558-my-space-mines-game-finally-on-original-hardware/#comments

@The V-Man wrote himself:

So, the object of the game.  Maneuver your ship around the play-field and avoid EVERYTHING; enemy ships, walls, and your mines.  You can lay mines by pressing the joystick button as you move. You try to move yourself so that the mines are between you and the hoards of enemy drone thingies that chase after you, kinda.  They head in your direction most of the time.  You advance a level when all the enemies have exploded themselves on your mines. There is an intermission every few levels or so.  This game gets moving really fast.  I think I have only made it to level 16 recently.
  • Like 1

I'm unable to replicate that on Altirra. I tried every possible combination of Atari model, video hardware, firmware (Altirra or Atari original) and memory config (you need 48K or more) but all combos boot the game as it should. If you have BASIC enabled, it displays a screen to remove all cartridges.

• Like 2

Are you using some kind of USB controllers when you play via emulation, have you redefined the keyset or are you using the default cursor keys/numpad? I've tried a few of the HSC games in emulation and frankly I could not score even 1/4 of my otherwise mediocre scores if I would be setting them in Altirra with PC keyboard.

Oh well, good thing that you got it working. I tried with Altirra ROMs without issues but perhaps due to I also have Atari ROMs installed, it magically worked. Good thing to look out for in case other people are using emulation without having the original Atari ROMs installed. I remember we had a few games before (e.g. White Circus) that didn't behave with the Altirra free substitute ROMs, but worked with pirated Atari ROMs.

• Like 1

Phoenix Lair - 2770 pts

phoenix-lair-2770.thumb.jpg.c6d2db6aea1c87434528af92b09d2c6a.jpg

So scoring is based on number of eggs you pick up/destroy and time remaining. The bonus game awards you 100 pts for each hit you scored on the rider. After getting 6 eggs on level 2, you get a key that is worth a lot of points, but then good luck getting back to your nest to end the level. It is super sensitive on movement, and the heat seeking thing following you doesn't make it a single bit easier. Perhaps frustration is what sparks the interest to keep playing for some of us, while it will be quite off-putting for others, so be warned. It isn't quite as annoying as Mountain King is, but over time I might figure I've had enough of Phoenix Lair as well.

• Like 2

Best part of Phoenix Lair is the opening music.

it's the singing frog!  Michigan J. Frog

First appearance:

One Froggy Evening (1955)

He appeared in a later cartoon titled Another Froggy Evening, which was released on October 6, 1995

Hello My Baby 10 hours!! 

Edited by roadrunner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:33 PM, carlsson said:

Are you using some kind of USB controllers when you play via emulation, have you redefined the keyset or are you using the default cursor keys/numpad? I've tried a few of the HSC games in emulation and frankly I could not score even 1/4 of my otherwise mediocre scores if I would be setting them in Altirra with PC keyboard.

Oh well, good thing that you got it working. I tried with Altirra ROMs without issues but perhaps due to I also have Atari ROMs installed, it magically worked. Good thing to look out for in case other people are using emulation without having the original Atari ROMs installed. I remember we had a few games before (e.g. White Circus) that didn't behave with the Altirra free substitute ROMs, but worked with pirated Atari ROMs.

I use my trusty CX-40 via the 2600-Daptor II.

• Like 2

I have a slight advantage on Space Mines!, since I wrote/played almost 40 years ago.  Forgot much of how to play it well, but was able to score a good one 38000, none the less.  My 14 year old self appreciates you all playing it.  When I have time, I may need to go back into that code and see if I can enhance the game play.

I will need load up Phoenix Lair and give it a try.

IMG_7257.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Phoenix.thumb.JPG.63fe24ee5c8650ce3475587a3742d3c9.JPG

Phoenix Lair: 9340

That was one of the worst experience with Atari games I ever had.

- I have no clue when you can finish current level and when not. At first I thought that I need to collect all eggs (WRONG!), then collect eggs until key appears on the screen (WRONG!). It is just a random ammount of eggs you need to collect and then you just proceed to the exit.

- How to destroy bonus stage riders? No clue. I was trying "Joust style" but 1 of 10 attempts were successful. Again, it is completely random. Sometimes you get two points for one rider, sometimes one, sometimes it resets your score.

- There is no "congratulation screen" it just loops after, as far as I remember, 10 screens.

So what was my strategy? Collect all "easy eggs", if that was not enough then collect some more (not the difficult ones) and proceed to the exit. :)

I hope that Space Mine will be more appealing.

Edited by Dope
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Dope said:

At first I thought that I need to collect all eggs (WRONG!), then collect eggs until key appears on the screen (WRONG!). It is just a random ammount of eggs you need to collect and then you just proceed to the exit.

Hm. The advertisement blurb quoted above promised you only need to collect 6 eggs, which I thought was when the key appears. But if you can't escape the level even after getting the key, either the marketing was wrong or the game is buggy. I also encountered that the interlude game sometimes lets you score a rider twice or rather that the rider is not reset to its start position, only counted up. I was somewhat successful with a positive balance of 4 hits = 400 pts once. Obviously if you are damaged, you lose one of your accumulated hits.

So those 9340 pts involve going through all 10 screens? Interesting since we're getting the upper end of 2000 pts already on the second screen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Hm. The advertisement blurb quoted above promised you only need to collect 6 eggs, which I thought was when the key appears. But if you can't escape the level even after getting the key, either the marketing was wrong or the game is buggy. I also encountered that the interlude game sometimes lets you score a rider twice or rather that the rider is not reset to its start position, only counted up. I was somewhat successful with a positive balance of 4 hits = 400 pts once. Obviously if you are damaged, you lose one of your accumulated hits.

So those 9340 pts involve going through all 10 screens? Interesting since we're getting the upper end of 2000 pts already on the second screen.

You don't have to pick up key and sometimes you need more or less than 6 eggs. Sometimes you can pick up one egg twice or score a rider twice. Everything is completely random.

9340 pts involve going through all 10 screens with minimum eggs collected. Also, I didn't score much on bonus levels.

I lost my last life while playing 1st level after loop.

• Like 2