IGNORED

Is there MIDI data monitor software?

k-Pack

Is there any MIDI monitor software.  I want to read the MIDI data stream and then display the MIDI commands as they are played.  It needs to be MIDI Max compatible.

Later, I think I might want to be able to read the data stream and convert control changes to Voice tracks - compatible with MIDI MUSIC Software.

Anyone out there thinking this might be useful?  

1 hour ago, k-Pack said:

Is there any MIDI monitor software.  I want to read the MIDI data stream and then display the MIDI commands as they are played.  It needs to be MIDI Max compatible.

Later, I think I might want to be able to read the data stream and convert control changes to Voice tracks - compatible with MIDI MUSIC Software.

Anyone out there thinking this might be useful?  

I'd like to know more about this if you get more info.

Atarimania has a whole suite of software from Hybrid Arts for the 8-bit line. I used to own MidiMate and Miditrack III with my 130XE. It was a display/demo model from a musical instrument store and I was curious since I owned an Atari 130xe. The salesman saw me and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse since it was old tech by then. But I never knew there was anything beyond Miditrack III software wise until I stumbled upon and old ad in Analog/Antic for Hybrid Arts and all the programs are referenced in the MidiMate paragraph at the bottom of the ad. I then started doing research online, found the programs on Atarimania, and I found an old Kawai ad for a rack component K3 synthesizer and keyboard with Hybrid Arts software as the two teamed up to release a 'K3 synthesizer system' designed to use the 130XE. I don't know if any of it has MIDI monitor software amongst it or integrated within, but I think the Oasis program might be what you are looking for, but I thought I'd just share as I found it all exciting and intend to track down the Kawai hardware to use with my Atari 8-bits.

http://www.atarimania.com/list_utilities_atari-400-800-xl-xe-hybrid-arts-inc_publisher_2526_8_U.html

xqmYlkk.jpg

sound_experience_kawai_k3.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After doing a bit of searching for the K3 system, I found some stuff. I got it backwards above, the K3M is the rack module and the K3 is the keyboard.

https://www.polynominal.com/site/studio/gear/sold/kawai_k3m/kawai-k3.html

http://www.vintagesynth.com/kawai/kawaik3.php

I did an eBay search and found one K3 keyboard for $640. No K3M modules though, just later K1M desktop style that I don't know if it would work with the Atari and Hybrid Arts software. It was selling for about $350. Plenty of replacement parts and new eproms, etc. to repair the keyboards.

kawai-k3-1.jpg

kawai-k3m.jpg

• Like 1

Not wanting to hijack he thread in any way, but on a related note (see what I did there).  Is there any easily available documentation on feeding the contents of a MIDI stream (file) to a board like what we have in the 1088XLD?  I'm guessing a "mile high" overview is - use PoKey to set baud rate, load data into a buffer, and feed that data to the module.  I need details like are there start and stop bits, buffer size, type (ring-buffer, queue, etc.)

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I'm guessing a "mile high" overview is - use PoKey to set baud rate, load data into a buffer, and feed that data to the module.  I need details like are there start and stop bits, buffer size, type (ring-buffer, queue, etc.)

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/cmsip/readings/davids-midi-spec.htm

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mytek said:

This little program might do the trick, although I do believe it requires the MIDI-CLK signal to be present, which is a standard feature of MIDIMATE and the MIDI boards that both @ivop and I developed.

midimon.xex 8.42 kB · 3 downloads

Program was developed by @ivop

Thank you. And here's the source, for anybody that's interested:

https://github.com/ivop/midimuse/tree/master/software/midimon

• Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Gunstar said:

After doing a bit of searching for the K3 system, I found some stuff. I got it backwards above, the K3M is the rack module and the K3 is the keyboard.

Been watching for pre2000 rack mount systems. I put a Kawai K1R in my rack about 2 years ago. Haven't had much the time to play with it.  

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

Not wanting to hijack he thread in any way, but on a related note (see what I did there).  Is there any easily available documentation on feeding the contents of a MIDI stream (file) to a board like what we have in the 1088XLD?  I'm guessing a "mile high" overview is - use PoKey to set baud rate, load data into a buffer, and feed that data to the module.  I need details like are there start and stop bits, buffer size, type (ring-buffer, queue, etc.)

I got a lot of information from MIDI Association web sight.  Home (midi.org) 

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 4:51 PM, mytek said:

This little program might do the trick, although I do believe it requires the MIDI-CLK signal to be present, which is a standard feature of MIDIMATE and the MIDI boards that both @ivop and I developed.

midimon.xex 8.42 kB · 5 downloads

Program was developed by @ivop

23 hours ago, ivop said:

Thank you. And here's the source, for anybody that's interested:

https://github.com/ivop/midimuse/tree/master/software/midimon

Thanks, looks like the program is going to be helpful.  I had the microKorg hooked up and was watching the MIDI output as I edited patch parameters.  I found the data sheet for the chip in the midiPlus - miniEngine USB and will try to edit patch parameters(maybe?) from MIDI Music System. Lots of plains. Right now low expectations of completion(anytime soon). 

If I make any changes to your program I'll let you know before I post.

• Like 3