Bonkey Kong

Does Physical Product = Gift Card ??? If so, yuck!

It's basically a shitty Amiibo knockoff.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

It's basically a shitty Amiibo knockoff.

Is it a code in a box? No, but it is code in the box adjacent. A slip of paper with a 16 digit code is technically a physical product if people want to get technical. It is also still a digital game be it from entering a 16 digit code or having the rfid chip unlock it. Both items unlock a digital game.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Why have you not advised IE to stop making repeated statements that could mislead people?

I thought you *knew* it was a cartridge shell with RFID chip inside. Mystery solved. All these erroneous conclusions. You're going to make the trolls making videos look bad.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, mr_me said:

A gift card would mean it can only be used once, so no it's not a gift card. These posts might be considered more misinformation than opinion.

I don't see why any company wanting to not lose money would be willing to let the same code be used more than once.  But the rumor is that's what IE's doing, so, for sure go for it.  It's great for any of us who want to steal games.

2 hours ago, MASTER260 said:

I don't see why any company wanting to not lose money would be willing to let the same code be used more than once.  But the rumor is that's what IE's doing, so, for sure go for it.  It's great for any of us who want to steal games.

It has to be deactivated on one system account before it is used on another. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok.. so tell me something... 'cause ya know.. I'm a little fucked up on this topic... maybe it's just me?

First is an 2600 PCB with an EPROM that has a code stored/burned into it.

The next is a 5.25" Floppy from a Commodore 64...information stored on it, requires a drive to read.

Last is an Amiga 2.50" disk....and again, same idea as C64.... and on to CD's, DVD's... SD cards (Switch)...etc.

So you're tell me that "physical media" just means that it has to be on one of these and it needs to be held in a plastic case otherwise known as a "cartridge" so I can plug this into a slot on a console.... or a magnetic disk, or a piece of tin foil... or a readable chip.... but because the Amico card has a RFID, which has a code on it that allows you to either download game or the game is actually stored on the card itself... you won't accept this as "physical media".  

Tell me something... what the hell is the difference???  Game is either stored on a PCB based cartridge (ancient tech), magnetic media, foil, or stored on a RFID that you swipe for access (new tech).  Either way, they are both in physical form and require physical activity to enable you to play, and are stored on the physical media.

What's the issue?  I really don't get it... physical means physical... code is code.  Can't play the game without either.  Even if it's a key to download the game.  It comes in a box, has a card.  Is it because the game code is not on the card??  Is that what the issue is?? 

Help me out here... 

intvEPROM.png

summer64.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Edited by IMBerzerk

6 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

First is an Intellivision PCB with an EPROM that has a code stored/burned into it.

Just for the record, that's a 2600 PCB.  :)

..Al

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

Just for the record, that's a 2600 PCB.  :)

..Al

fixed

• Like 1

The difference is that in your examples the entire code of the game is stored in the physical object. The Amico cards only contain an authorization to download the game stored on its rfid tag

10 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

The difference is that in your examples the entire code of the game is stored in the physical object. The Amico cards only contain an authorization to download the game stored on its rfid tag

So.. that's all the big deal is about 'physical media"... an unlock code on an RFID is not considered "physical media"?  Seriously?   🙄

This is like code wheels, or having to have the book to unlock the security code to play the game... until it was cracked.  You needed them to play.  It was part of the "physical media".  Lost it, and you were screwed.

Splitting hairs on the edge of a dull blade...  I'm just happy there putting out boxes and not that everything is through Steam and other DLC's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The big deal is because when Intellivision severs go down, your amico card becomes useless, while on  the other hand, you can still play all your old atari cartridges and floppies decades after their respective companies disappeared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

So.. that's all the big deal is about 'physical media"... an unlock code on an RFID is not considered "physical media"?  Seriously?   🙄

This is like code wheels, or having to have the book to unlock the security code to play the game... until it was cracked.  You needed them to play.  It was part of the "physical media".  Lost it, and you were screwed.

Splitting hairs on the edge of a dull blade...  I'm just happy there putting out boxes and not that everything is through Steam and other DLC's.

How is this any different than Steam and those cards or slips of paper that Gamestop sells to allow the buyer to download PC games from Steam?  It's a closed proprietary system that requires the user to download the game from a server that is owned by one specific company.  Unless they announce that these games exist somewhere that is outside of Intellivision's own servers, it's exactly the same as Steam with the possible addition of an ability to more quickly uninstall and reinstall on different consoles.  

As for your other question, physical media to most people means that you can actually install and in some cases play the game using the code that is contained on a cartridge or disc or other physical storage medium.  Code wheels and other protection measures are not "physical media", they are physical copy protection.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Yeah, that’s pretty much what folks are concerned about – and I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong here, although I do have my own opinion of course – but they are thinking a “Physical Game” should be as simple as all you need is the console and game for it to work.    Well, electricity and TV being a prerequisite, I’m sure  

No internet downloaded needed.  No external servers holding the data.  Just connect game to console and it works.

To the camp splitting those hairs on that dull blade, using a unlock code on RFID to download the game from an external server is the exact same thing as getting it “through Steam and other DLC.”   Only difference is, instead of clicking the mouse button to download, you’re tapping some sort of “RFID gadget” to download.  

Worst case scenario with these is – 20 years later, servers are gone or the hardware is not compatible with that version of internet connectivity, you pick up a new Amico game at a yard sale, thrift store, clearance aisle, ect, and bring it home…. If it relies on a download, your box is virtually empty.  The trinkets are there, maybe a manual, some stickers, etc... but there’s no game in your game.

However, while they’re not specified how it’ll work, Tommy believes this won’t be a problem, the worriers will be happy with their approach, and it will be very consumer friendly.   Maybe the nay-sayers will say I’m naïve, but I believe him and hope that once it’s revealed, we can all go “ohhh… yeah, that it pretty awesome”

• Like 3

The Amico is largely a digital modern game with online functionality, leaderboards, and software. Its main focus is supposed to be the online store, too, so ultimately a physical collector's product will be beholden to the root of the console and be some form of readable RFID/code/whatever card. Even if they could make a ROM on a cart it wouldn't really work long term would it?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The Amico is largely a digital modern game with online functionality, leaderboards, and software. Its main focus is supposed to be the online store, too, so ultimately a physical collector's product will be beholden to the root of the console and be some form of readable RFID/code/whatever card. Even if they could make a ROM on a cart it wouldn't really work long term would it?

My point exactly... carts break, disks loose data, cd's crack.  You toss out your PC, and then what.. .emulator with roms are your only option unless you spend ludicrous money on eBay looking for that one component you're missing...then it breaks.

So, it's truthfully, a moot point.  By the time you'd loose all your games, they'll be available on the net as a Retropie emulator and roms.  Nintendo DS, Wii, Playstation, N64, etc..etc.  are now out there. You can even emulate Windows 95 and play games on it now.   20 years from now so will the Amico... as was the original Intellivisoin 20 years after it was initially produced as a unit it was emulated with JzIntv and Nostalgia.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yarzzz said:

The big deal is because when Intellivision severs go down, your amico card becomes useless, while on  the other hand, you can still play all your old atari cartridges and floppies decades after their respective companies disappeared.

In the crystal ball of life... what's to stop IE from just placing all the games on a download service to all the fans that want to have them long term...if they decided to close their doors 10 years from now.

Rom dumps? 

8 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

In the crystal ball of life... what's to stop IE from just placing all the games on a download service to all the fans that want to have them long term...if they decided to close their doors 10 years from now.

Rom dumps? 

Maybe because doing so would cost them money without receiving any aditional profit. I dont think it has been done by any other company.

The games may be preserved by the fans but still the rfid will be useless.

45 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Rom dumps? 

They’re talking about the purists who refuse to use anything but the original artifact to play the game. Won’t use side loader roms or multicarts on jailbroke SDs or whatever, even if legitimate, or don’t like the artifact if they have to use the alternate rom source to load the game. Honestly, may be 0.1% of the customer base who are going to call it a show stopper, so they really are holding on by their fingernails. The only caveat may be a 3rd party game where they pull it after 6 months like Konami has been known to do over disputes with the programmers or music/movie games where the license is not renewed. If someone dose not archive it for public access, it will only exist on unbroken machines that have it. The first time I remember that sort of thing happening was around 2001 with the first Kindle where amazon pulled three of the 30 or so free included books off of peoples Kindles due to a dispute with the licensor. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Swami said:

They’re talking about the purists who refuse to use anything but the original artifact to play the game. Won’t use side loader roms or multicarts on jailbroke SDs or whatever, even if legitimate, or don’t like the artifact if they have to use the alternate rom source to load the game. Honestly, may be 0.1% of the customer base who are going to call it a show stopper, so they really are holding on by their fingernails. 

I wouldn't call the many, many casual gamers out there who may own an old NES or SNES or Genesis or [insert console name here] and like to occasionally pull out their old systems and carts to play "purists".  I'd call them ordinary consumers who likely don't have the interest or ability to side load or use more questionable means to download games.  I mean I'm starting to get confused here, is the market for this thing soccer moms and families for whom modern gaming is inaccessible for a variety of reasons (DLC, games too complex, don't want their kids playing online, etc...) or is it sophisticated gamers who are side loading roms and buying up multicarts?  If physical media doesn't matter and consumers don't really care, why do physical Nintendo Switch carts sell only slightly fewer copies than the digital release of the same game?  In fact, that inflection point wasn't reached until 2020 largely fueled by the pandemic.    

So if you download off the RFID card is it saved to the Amico or do you have download the games everytime you turn the machine on?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Swami said:

I thought you *knew* it was a cartridge shell with RFID chip inside. Mystery solved. All these erroneous conclusions. You're going to make the trolls making videos look bad.

If it turns out to just be a gift card then I clearly gave them too much credit. The info of a fake cartridge shell came directly from more than 1 person who claimed to have been shown it by TT.

Whether it is a card that you scan or a thin fake cartridge, don't really matter all that much to me since I doubt I will ever purchase any of the physical products either way.

they banned me from the other thread for some reason, not sure why as I thought I was keeping my posts within the guidelines but I guess the minute I challenged oebpete that was it for me in that thread. sorry pete, it was mostly me being sarcastic but people take things too seriously these days.

Edited by Bonkey Kong
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

So if you download off the RFID card is it saved to the Amico or do you have download the games everytime you turn the machine on?

you don't download from the rfid card as there will be no game data on the rfid card

the rfid card just holds the product key that initiates the game download over the internet from the amico online store

2 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

you don't download from the rfid card as there will be no game data on the rfid card

the rfid card just holds the product key that initiates the game download over the internet from the amico online store

4 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

If it turns out to just be a gift card then I clearly gave them too much credit. The info of a fake cartridge shell came directly from more than 1 person who claimed to have been shown it by TT.

Whether it is a card that you scan or a thin fake cartridge, don't really matter all that much to me since I doubt I will ever purchase any of the physical products either way.

they banned me from the other thread for some reason, not sure why as I thought I was keeping my posts within the guidelines but I guess the minute I challenged oebpete that was it for me in that thread. sorry pete, it was mostly me being sarcastic but people take things too seriously these days.

Don’t feel bad Bonkey, I got banned from the q&a, or as I like to call it now, the Amico Promo Thread. And all I did was question the almighty CEO…guess that needs to be one of their 10 commandments 😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MarioMan88 said:

Don’t feel bad Bonkey, I got banned from the q&a, or as I like to call it now, the Amico Promo Thread. And all I did was question the almighty CEO…guess that needs to be one of their 10 commandments 😉

thanks , yeah I think they cleaned house in that other thread which is ok 

we can still discuss in all these other threads and create more new fun threads

🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do wonder if a lot of the "physical game" criticisms could've been remedied by simply rebranding it as "physical collector card and printed media, RFID digital download included."

Some studios had done similar in selling lenticular/holographic collector cards of certain films and media content, which included digital download codes or movie passes etc.

Edited by MattPilz