Bonkey Kong

Does Physical Product = Gift Card ??? If so, yuck!

7 hours ago, MattPilz said:

I do wonder if a lot of the "physical game" criticisms could've been remedied by simply rebranding it as "physical collector card and printed media, RFID digital download included."

Some studios had done similar in selling lenticular/holographic collector cards of certain films and media content, which included digital download codes or movie passes etc.

The criticisms kind of start with how some of their information is misleading or as clear as mud. Personally I don't care if it is a digital only console. I do not get acting like they truly are physical games.

This is from the FAQ on the Intellivision Entertainment website. I pulled it right before posting. This says the games are physical, not physical media, not physical product, and say they cost more than digital games which suggests they aren't digital. If someone said their boxes were a green color they'd be screaming about misinformation, but continue to change their message and leave things like this up which is misinformation and causes confusion.

Just say you are a digital only console, but have physical tchotchkes you can buy at a higher price to unlock the digital games. Nothing wrong with that, and it isn't misleading by claiming you have physical games.

Screenshot_20210806-074708_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fe0b242d47dc8e849c88cb37712e26ca.jpg

• Like 4

Frankly, I think the only people who care about physical product are us, a handful of a couple hundred old farts who remember inserting cartridges into slots, to IE's credit.

Not to IE's credit, their antics have made it (to me, at least) such that this handful of old farts is, in fact, the only market they now have.

The Simpsons Poochie GIF

Forgot to add: in before the crypto-IE employee replies to this statement by taking it literally and saying "They've told us they'll sell 4 billion consoles to every TV owner and I see no reason to doubt their market research"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Frankly, I think the only people who care about physical product are us, a handful of a couple hundred old farts who remember inserting cartridges into slots, to IE's credit.

Not to IE's credit, their antics have made it (to me, at least) such that this handful of old farts is, in fact, the only market they now have.

The Simpsons Poochie GIF

Speak for yourself you old fart!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bonkey Kong said:

you don't download from the rfid card as there will be no game data on the rfid card

the rfid card just holds the product key that initiates the game download over the internet from the amico online store

That's fine but my question was if you have to download every time you want to play or does the Amico have storage to save the game locally

18 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

That's fine but my question was if you have to download every time you want to play or does the Amico have storage to save the game locally

The Amico has storage of 32gb so once you download the game to the console it is there and you would not need internet after that to play a previously downloaded game.

• Like 3

After initial download and installation you don't need the internet anymore for it.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 7:10 PM, mr_me said:

Collectors can include investors, speculators, gamers who do move games they tire of, and of course hoarders; but every collection, eventually, will one day get sold or given away, doesn't matter who you are. 

They are saying their physical items has some properties of physical media.  Unless you in fact have all the information, maybe wait until they reveal the thing before making repeated statements that could mislead people.

Tbf the more they tease this ( and they are ) the more excited I get. I won't get any of the launch titles as nothing excites me but I will definitely pick up Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain for example. I think this can only be a good thing for all the reasons you listed. 

21 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

The Simpsons Poochie GIF

Forgot to add: in before the crypto-IE employee replies to this statement by taking it literally and saying "They've told us they'll sell 4 billion consoles to every TV owner and I see no reason to doubt their market research"

"I must go, my planet needs me!"   *shoooooommmmm*

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Forgot to add: in before the crypto-IE employee replies to this statement by taking it literally and saying "They've told us they'll sell 4 billion consoles to every TV owner and I see no reason to doubt their market research"

If what you're saying is true how would their antics influence their primary target market who haven't been following at all.

Edited by mr_me

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

If what you're saying is true how would their antics influence their primary target market who haven't been following at all.

If their "target market" aren't following then it might be because they aren't doing it right.

There comes a point that you have to stop looking at what they say who it is for and actually look at their actions. If you aren't targeting the target market them they aren't the target market. The console is officially over a year late and they still say the "target market" doesn't know about us. That sounds like an excuse for there not being more people interested beyond some predominantly retro gamers. I've seen less from Panic and they show signs that they have more eyes following them than what Amico has, and I'd consider it a niche product.

Also according to the Nick Richard's interview I fit into their target, but my opinion doesn't count right? :P

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The CFO talked about people who aren't already in "the video game space".  I'm sure he would think the opinions posted here are very interesting.

Edited by mr_me
  • Confused 2

Their video game console is marketed to people who....in 2020 (and now 2021) ... don't own a video game console?

That seems like a brilliant approach.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

The CFO talked about people who aren't already in "the video game space".  I'm sure he would think the opinions posted here are very interesting.

Thought you needed some help. Time stamped for you. It's a family with at least one child under the age of 7. So unless they delay for a couple more years I fit in the stated "target". :D

By your logic anyone who plays games on their phone wouldn't be part of the demographic because that is in "the video game space".

• Like 1

It's not my logic, he said it, that's why I put it in quotes.  They are talking about pickupandplay, local multiplayerlayer games on the traditional consoles.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:27 AM, Rev said:

The misinformation word is being overused these days….

That's because it's happening a lot these days if you haven't noticed.  Unfortunately its part of the world we live in. 🤨

(i.e. fake news = misinformation)

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, Bonkey Kong said:

So I guess the Amico lovers were right.

It is not code in box.

It is code on plastic gift card in box.

Woohoo that sounds like fun. Enjoy that awesomeness!

Ok, we get it.  You dislike this and are not on board with it.  I'm not thrilled about it either.  Time to get over it and move on.

south park beat a dead horse GIF

Edited by atarifan88

59 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

Ok, we get it.  You dislike this and are not on board with it.  I'm not thrilled about it either.  Time to get over it and move on.

south park beat a dead horse GIF

I am hearing now that it is a topps trading card that holds the rfid product key.  This is coming from a new source and I can not say for sure if it is correct.

I do not dislike anything other than the secrecy and wishy washy almost middle school like way they reveal information.  Just screams amateur hour to me.

I have never seen a more unprofessional state of affairs as I am seeing now with IE and the almost childish way they treat potential customers.

I am not beating any dead horses unless you think the Amico is dead. I do not think the Amico is dead but maybe the Amico is an unhealthy horse that is still trying to survive it's ailments.

For all we know the boxes they showed were completely empty which would make sense because it is clear the console and games are not 100% complete so it is doubtful the "physical products" are either which is why they only showed what could be empty boxes.

(I am not an Amico hater, I hope the Amico succeeds and sells 100 million consoles.)

39 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

I am hearing now that it is a topps trading card that holds the rfid product key.  This is coming from a new source and I can not say for sure if it is correct.

I do not dislike anything other than the secrecy and wishy washy almost middle school like way they reveal information.  Just screams amateur hour to me.

I have never seen a more unprofessional state of affairs as I am seeing now with IE and the almost childish way they treat potential customers.

I am not beating any dead horses unless you think the Amico is dead. I do not think the Amico is dead but maybe the Amico is an unhealthy horse that is still trying to survive it's ailments.

For all we know the boxes they showed were completely empty which would make sense because it is clear the console and games are not 100% complete so it is doubtful the "physical products" are either which is why they only showed what could be empty boxes.

(I am not an Amico hater, I hope the Amico succeeds and sells 100 million consoles.)

Now you have another source with another bit of information but you don't know if it's correct but you shared it anyways. So why share it at all? 

You dislike the secrecy and you continuously state this. This comes across as being annoyed that you don't have all the answers right now when you demand them. And so if they don't tell you right now what it consists of you are calling them childish? A company is unprofessional because they won't tell you what's going on right now?

This sounds....not great. If you don't like it...we get it. Honestly between your constant posts about this subject plus your previous diss on soccer moms being stupid...I think you might want to think about using the word childish. 

9 minutes ago, PeterPepper said:

A company is unprofessional because they won't tell you what's going on right now?

Ok then this is for you to make you happy.

No, they are the most professional company in the entire universe.

Everything IE and Amico has said and done is absolutely perfect and I would not change a thing.

I retract everything I have previously said that was in anyway critical toward the Amico, any of it's employees and all of their fanboys and soccer moms too.

Every single detail about the Amico is 100% perfect with zero flaws and IE has handled everything up to this point in the most perfect way possible.

Nobody including myself should in anyway say anything negative about the almighty Amico.

New Atari Age rule everyone, no complaining or criticizing the Amico in anyway. The fanboys can't take it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Ok then this is for you to make you happy.

No, they are the most professional company in the entire universe.

Everything IE and Amico has said and done is absolutely perfect and I would not change a thing.

I retract everything I have previously said that was in anyway critical toward the Amico, any of it's employees and all of their fanboys and soccer moms too.

Every single detail about the Amico is 100% perfect with zero flaws and IE has handled everything up to this point in the most perfect way possible.

Nobody including myself should in anyway say anything negative about the almighty Amico.

New Atari Age rule everyone, no complaining or criticizing the Amico in anyway. The fanboys can't take it.

For the record I am not a fanboy. I'll be out money just like everyone else. I just don't get the incessant posting and creation of threads because you don't have instant gratification on what's in the box. 

I didn't ask you to make me happy, what a weird take. 

Wait, I take that back...stop talking about soccer moms like some stupid entity. If there is one thing you get from my post, it's that. You make a lot of assumptions about a group of people. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPepper said:

stop talking about soccer moms like some stupid entity. If there is one thing you get from my post, it's that. You make a lot of assumptions about a group of people. 

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not you are giving advice to the wrong guy.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not you are giving advice to the wrong guy.

So what am I supposed to take from this? Soccer moms are so dumb they would throw a game box away? 

Screenshot_20210809-115359.png

Edited by PeterPepper

8 minutes ago, PeterPepper said:

For the record I am not a fanboy. I'll be out money just like everyone else. I just don't get the incessant posting and creation of threads because you don't have instant gratification on what's in the box. 

I didn't ask you to make me happy, what a weird take. 

Wait, I take that back...stop talking about soccer moms like some stupid entity. If there is one thing you get from my post, it's that. You make a lot of assumptions about a group of people. 

Ok so you do not understand why people continue to create new posts and new threads on a website that is designed for just that?

Let me clue you in on how Atari Age forums work.

People sign up so they can participate in discussions, debates, information both factual and speculative, opinions etc.

Atari Age users comment in threads that are interesting to them and even create threads on topics of interest.

So you should reach out to Atari Age and let them know that you would like them to enforce a new rule that only allows for positive, optimistic views about the Amico.  Also anyone who posts anything that would in anyway portray Amico in a negative light should be immediately banned from Atari Age.

I was not the one that started the soccer mom conversation, Amico representatives are the ones that repeatedly said the Amico is not for gamers who typically play video game consoles.  Amico is more targeted toward soccer moms.  That came direct from Amico upper management repeatedly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonkey Kong said:

The Amico is far from dead.  I never said that.  I was referring to the number of comments you have put out regarding the use of a card for the physical media.  If that really is what they are doing, then that's their choice.  They will live or die by it because some may like it and some may not and that's ok.  It's ok to have an opinion on it too, but to retread the same statements in multiple threads is just getting old.  I think everyone knows how you feel by now.  Let it go!

For someone who claims they support and want the Amico to succeed, you have a funny way of showing it.  All this talk about IE not giving enough information out is just crazy.  Do you really expect them to reveal everything way before they are ready to release it?  I think it would be best if we waited until the physical games came out before we judge them, because nobody knows exactly what they are except IE.  Speculating is fine, but to write it off before you know the facts isn't.

2 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

The Amico is far from dead.  I never said that.  I was referring to the number of comments you have put out regarding the use of a card for the physical media.  If that really is what they are doing, then that's their choice.  They will live or die by it because some may like it and some may not and that's ok.  It's ok to have an opinion on it too, but to retread the same statements in multiple threads is just getting old.  I think everyone knows how you feel by now.  Let it go!

For someone who claims they support and want the Amico to succeed, you have a funny way of showing it.  All this talk about IE not giving enough information out is just crazy.  Do you really expect them to reveal everything way before they are ready to release it?  I think it would be best if we waited until the physical games came out before we judge them, because nobody knows exactly what they are except IE.  Speculating is fine, but to write it off before you know the facts isn't.

OK well if you would like, I can send anything I am thinking about posting on Atari Age your way so you can preview it and then let me know if it is ok if I post it.  If you say no that I can't post it then I will not post it unless you say it is ok first.

• Haha 1