IGNORED

PS5 Internal Storage SSD Upgrade

zzip

We are finally getting information on what the requirements for PS5 internal storage expansion.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/#min

Interface:  PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD

Capacity: 250GB – 4TB

Sequential Read Speed: 5,500MB/s or faster

Form Factor: 5,500MB/s or faster

Heat Sink required.

Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, these super-fast drives come at a high cost.    2Tb ones go for around $400, as much as the console itself

I just heard that Mark Cerny's personal choice is the WD_BLACK SN850 series of SSDs with the required heatsink.  It even looks like the other forms of game drives in the current line!

I'm just glad that great minds thought alike in my case!

Edited by JFD62780

13 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Nice to get info on required specs. Hopefully more games use Kracken compression so 1-2 more TB will be enough.

Yeah,   Right now I don't know how much is enough.   My gut says to get 2Tb to be safe,  but I don't really want to shell out $400 for storage.   On the other hand, I don't exactly have a ton of PS5-only content, and I do have a 4Gb external drive for PS4 content.   Maybe 1Tb internal will be enough, if I just archive anything I'm not playing to the external.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Sony just released new firmware to increase max SSD storage from 4TB to a whopping 8TB. Im no where close to needing that much but it's nice to know there is an option in the future.

Nice!

I noticed I started seeing issues with my external USB though.  Coincidence? Or related to this update?   The drive wasn't available immediately when I last used the system, and took several minutes before it would allow me to run anything off it.

10 hours ago, zzip said:

Nice!

I noticed I started seeing issues with my external USB though.  Coincidence? Or related to this update?   The drive wasn't available immediately when I last used the system, and took several minutes before it would allow me to run anything off it.

Hmm hopefully it was a one time thing from the rebuilding process. I haven't used an external drive since installing the internal drive.

On a side note, its been so much nicer updating the controller wirelessly. Thats been one of my favorite changes over the years.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:47 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

Sony just released new firmware to increase max SSD storage from 4TB to a whopping 8TB. Im no where close to needing that much but it's nice to know there is an option in the future.

Awesome. Likewise will be a while before I need one, will give them time to drop in price; cheapest I've seen via a quick check on Amazon is Oyen Digital 8TB for $759.

13 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Hmm hopefully it was a one time thing from the rebuilding process. I haven't used an external drive since installing the internal drive.

On a side note, its been so much nicer updating the controller wirelessly. Thats been one of my favorite changes over the years.

I haven't run into the USB issue since I posted it, hopefully a one-time thing