IGNORED

Joysticks for my new xe

oo7

What are good brand new joysticks to buy for my return to the xe?

I read the hyperkin trooper and the atari flashback models all suffer from feeling soft longer throw so thats not an option.

the new cx-40 clones from china seem to all have bad reviews.

anyone using the above? I want a similar feel to my original cx-40s

if not ill probably wire some current control pads or build using arcade sticks and buttons. But really prefer if i can cx-40

38 minutes ago, foft said:

I got some of these and they are great:

https://retroradionics.co.uk/?~~mode=product&~~id=168982750

Though if you want cx40, I think best electronics sell improved versions of all the parts.

These look nice.

How are they with lets say pacman?

hmm I thought best was out of cx40 parts.

I wonder...

I'll be the voice of dissent. I wouldn't get anything like the old CX-40 style joysticks. Ergonomics have come a long way since these. Anything that works on a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive will work on the Atari 8 bit line, with button B being used as fire. I find these VASTLY less painful to use, particularly a few of the Genesis arcade sticks, which are often very cheap to get. Turbo is nice as well.

I use these:

130997.jpg

• Like 2

A cheap and incredible decent option. Are the joystick included in the Atari Flashback 2.

You can find those (whole console) very cheap

Edit: An old and original Sega Genesis one is also an excellent option, considering some games have been modified to support two+ buttons

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, manterola said:

A cheap and incredible decent option. Are the joystick included in the Atari Flashback 2.

You can find those (whole console) very cheap

Edit: An old and original Sega Genesis one is also an excellent option, considering some games have been modified to support two+ buttons

Excuse me? Games that use two buttons from genesis controllers? Will look into that already have genesis pads. The flashback 2 all the way to 8 use same controller right?

4 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

I'll be the voice of dissent. I wouldn't get anything like the old CX-40 style joysticks. Ergonomics have come a long way since these. Anything that works on a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive will work on the Atari 8 bit line, with button B being used as fire. I find these VASTLY less painful to use, particularly a few of the Genesis arcade sticks, which are often very cheap to get. Turbo is nice as well.

I use these:

130997.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion but i am aiming for a close to authentic feel. For better i play on altirra with my xbox wireless controllers 

I know for sure that Best still has CX40 parts.  These are not original parts but rather parts that he has had build to his specs.

They are extra strong but have a rather high price in some cases.  Gold contacts, heavy duty 'leaf springs' stronger handles,

and heavy duty 7 foot long cables.  The cables are about $13 dollars each, and his top of the line rebuilt CX40 is about $50

dollars.  Best CX40 joysticks come with a lifetime warranty, and while that seems high, those throw back joysticks only last

a few weeks (at least for me).  After ordering several pairs at 19 dollars, I ordered one from Best and I've been using it for 6

months now.  Well to be honest, I just ordered a replacement, because I got mad and threw it down.  The joystick missed the

desk and hit the floor.  That 'should' be covered under normal use, but I just couldn't ask Brad to replace it for free.

DavidMil 

11 hours ago, oo7 said:

Excuse me? Games that use two buttons from genesis controllers? Will look into that already have genesis pads. The flashback 2 all the way to 8 use same controller right?

Scramble uses two buttons as an option.

1 hour ago, DavidMil said:

I know for sure that Best still has CX40 parts.  These are not original parts but rather parts that he has had build to his specs.

They are extra strong but have a rather high price in some cases.  Gold contacts, heavy duty 'leaf springs' stronger handles,

and heavy duty 7 foot long cables.  The cables are about $13 dollars each, and his top of the line rebuilt CX40 is about $50

dollars.  Best CX40 joysticks come with a lifetime warranty, and while that seems high, those throw back joysticks only last

a few weeks (at least for me).  After ordering several pairs at 19 dollars, I ordered one from Best and I've been using it for 6

months now.  Well to be honest, I just ordered a replacement, because I got mad and threw it down.  The joystick missed the

desk and hit the floor.  That 'should' be covered under normal use, but I just couldn't ask Brad to replace it for free.

DavidMil 

CX40s in any form are for the hardcore Retro feeling. I‘d rather spend my 50 bucks on a 25 year old Competition Pro or TAC-2. If that retroradionics stick feels as good as it looks a pair of those might be a wise choice.

The RetroRadionics ArcadeR sticks use knockoff Sanwa parts and they feel like arcade controls.

The nice thing about that is that you can customise the stick to get the feel you like.

Change the springs to adjust the stiffness,

Change the actuator to adjust the throw distance

Change the gate style to adjust the directional precision

Change the button switches to get shorter or stiffer action

I wanted mine to feel like a Competition Pro and the ArcadeR was a bit soft so I doubled the stiffness of the springs and put a bigger actuator in there. I tried to make it even stiffer but it was uncomfortable to use. I kept the circular gate because the compy pro didn't have a gate and I wanted to retain the retro feel but I could have switched to an 8-way to make diagonals easier. I'm not a big fan of the feel of the ArcadeR buttons, they have quite a long travel, it makes rapid firing more challenging so I'm going to change them too. 

If you don't want to go with old school authentic you can get an 8bitdo genesis retro receiver, you will need to make a small adjustment to it or get an adapter,  and use a modern bluetooth controller.  I like the M30.

There are a couple of projects now that will allow you to use a Megadrive, SNES, or NES pad with your Atari.

Someone was working on making the Wii nunchuk work with the Atari but I don't thnk it ever got to production.

Finally if you like to DIY, there is the Joy2B+ project, make your own stick with up to 3 buttons. I designed a coupe of PCB's to help make that process easier too.

Hello Steve

10 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Someone was working on making the Wii nunchuk work with the Atari but I don't thnk it ever got to production.

It did get to production.

nunjoy.jpg

I've got two of those (I'm not selling!).  But a couple of years ago some misguided fool started threatening people with lawsuits because hardware developers didn't pay WEEE fees.  That scared a lot of developers off.

Sincerely

Mathy

I use different joysticks and controllers depending on the game and how it controls.

I've got CX40's, with or without stick-stand and arcade ball.

Genesis controller; modified for 3 button use with the Joy2B+ schematics.

A Wico Command Control bat joystick with two buttons and a switch to choose; solid as a rock and feels great, but it's heavy and starts feeling heavy to me soon, but it's best for some games.

I've got Starmaster sticks I got from Video61 for $12 apiece that have two buttons, both work as the same unless modified (one is Joy2B+ modded), but it has a pistol grip and suction cups which is great for shooters to me, I have it suction mounted to a small mirror bolted to my desktop which works great. The Starmaster's use the same type of board and bubble "leaf spring" contacts as CX40's, but they are heavier duty and I must confess I used them from one of my Starmaster's to repair one of my CX40's which works better than ever now.

I also have a Euro 7800 thumb-pad controller that looks like it was designed for the XEGS except for the color; I like it best for some platformer's like Treasure Island Dizzy and Crownland.

Some games I must use a CX40, some games, like Space Harrier, feels best with the Genesis controller. Other shooters like The Last Squadron are best with my Starmaster. It's Wico Command Control only for the Lucasfilm games.

But those controller @foft linked too look mighty seducing to me for $25. I might like to do a Joy2B+ mod to one of them.

Edited by Gunstar

On 8/7/2021 at 12:12 AM, Gunstar said:

But those controller @foft linked too look mighty seducing to me for $25. I might like to do a Joy2B+ mod to one of them.

I can highly recommend them, great quality and great to use.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:21 AM, DavidMil said:

DavidMil 

Best sells several parts/kit upgrades for the CX40, as well as the following:

New CX40 Joystick upgraded with Best 4th Gen. Gold Lifetime PCB board, Bests New 2018  Upgraded / Enhanced CX40 Super Handel and the Best 2016 Lifetime New Silicon CX40 boot.  CX40-GSHSB $39.95

They also have a pistol grip joystick at a low price:

Special Buy! Limited Supply

The Pro-Stick Joystick is like a standard CX40 Joystick but with a Red Base/Black Top, Red Joystick boot, Left or Right side dual Red Fire buttons on the base (for Left or Right handed People), Molded Plastic Handle Grip with Top Fire button too and Joystick cable comes out of the center bottom of the Pro-Stick!

CB103045 $7.95prostick3.jpg (8930 bytes)

• Like 1