IGNORED

Tombstone City Disk

Count9929A

Tombstone City is one of the three TI games released on disk, beside module. By chance, I found the (supposedly faithful) image of the Tombstone City disk in the TOSEC. This disk image contains the game in file object format, with file name TOMB. It seems exactly the same file that is present on the EA disk B.

However the instruction to load the game given in the manual, assume that the disk contains the game in EA5 format and that the file is called GAME. Namely, exactly the same format/filename used for the other two game releases on disk (Munchman and TI Invader). I checked the TOSEC image for those 2 other disks, and their content is consistent with the manual.

So I think that someone created the disk for Tombostone city by simply copying the file from EA Disk B, making it inconsistent with the manual instructions. What I would like to know if the error was made by TI, or by the TOSEC people. Anyone knows?

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Count9929A said:

Bump [inspired by the thread on EA Diskette B].

@Ksarul: any news about the original release in diskette format of Tombstone City?

Oddly enough, I was looking at my Tombstone City disk this past weekend. . .and it is the standalone version too. I'll pull it out again and check, now that I know where it is again.

13 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Munchman and TI Invaders were the other two disk releases of games usually only found on cartridge.

I believe the TI Invaders disk release has also been converted to a ROM cartridge.  The zeroes in this release are slashed, IIRC.

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Interesting.  Any other differences?  Why did they release these on disk?

The disk releases came after the cartridges and were intended to attract people with disk systems to the games, as the disks were a little less costly than the cartridges. It gave folks an option. None of the disk versions were well-marketed, so sales stayed abysmally low for all of them. TI then quietly dropped them and doubled down on the more profitable cartridge releases. . .

• Like 3