IGNORED

Supercross 3D

tripled79

1 minute ago, madman said:

Yeah, that's fair to say. I have noticed I'm less likely to put more than 15 mins into a game if I'm playing it for the first time via a flash cart. "Well this is a waste of my time", reboot it and load something else. 

I did the same with Fight For Life. I had a sealed copy of it and tried it on the skunk and immediately said F This Biz and never loaded it ever again and sold the sealed copy to someone who actually wanted it. With so many games out there to play these days it can be hard to put a ton of time into some of them when they come out of the gate terrible to start. 

On my comment about an NES game that goes along with what you said, spending all your money on a game hoping it would be great because in the 90s that's all you could afford at the time. Sometimes you've got to find the joy in just about anything tho. It's harder today tho with more options on games to play. 

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

You can drive backwards ;-) Otherwise driving into walls and others cars is just poor driving...hehe

How can you drive backward in Atari Karts?

Getting slammed into a wall or corner from Bently Bear does not constitute poor driving for the record.

If I wipe out or go off course in Supercross, it's temporary. The game puts me right back on course. I can still win the race. Atari Karts? Once you're stuck in a corner, you're screwed. Might as well reset the system. "Yay! This is fun!"

Supercross 3D over that game any day!

5 hours ago, tripled79 said:

How can you drive backward in Atari Karts?

Getting slammed into a wall or corner from Bently Bear does not constitute poor driving for the record.

If I wipe out or go off course in Supercross, it's temporary. The game puts me right back on course. I can still win the race. Atari Karts? Once you're stuck in a corner, you're screwed. Might as well reset the system. "Yay! This is fun!"

Supercross 3D over that game any day!

Press Down on the D pad.

Unlike Mario Kart, the AI drives very passively, they don't attack or drive into you. So if you bump into them, its lack of driving practice IMO. I have no problems to evade them as they are just holding their lines. However, its quite a dull affair in single player.

22 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand the critique for wiping out when going off course. In my short time playing this, I am sure that I went off a few times, and my biker got "bumped" back on track.

As others mentioned the untextured part of the track is like a force field, and if you stray into it even marginally (or in the air even), you fall off your bike/ crash. I would have preferred a slightly less harsh approach/ a bit of leeway, or just a loss of speed unless you did something really bad. You do get back on track.. but if you do it near the end of a race there is no way back from it, which is a bit harsh if you have only strayed a pixel off the textured part. I did get used to the frame rate though (I can understand some people can't tolerate it at all, if I just play anything for long enough though I seem to be able to adapt to even the worst abuses of frame rate dips, so perhaps I am unusual there), and did spend a good few days completing a season or two back in the noughties, although I have to admit it it did get more time than it would have done due to the 'it's a game on the Jag' scenario. That said I did get quite 'into it' for a short while at the time, although I haven't played it in properly for about a decade, so may well have some rose tinted memories. It could have been a lot better with some graphics polish and code optimisation, there is a maybe ok game in there somewhere imo, it's just buried under a metric tonne of awful presentation and bad design decisions. Mind you the same could be said for about two thirds of the Jag's library, I think a lot of the games could have really done with Atari having someone decent in QA who could go, 'this bit is a bit rubbish isn't it?' or 'this part of the games graphics looks like someone has vomitted on a dish cloth' :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

I happen to enjoy the game and pop it in every now and again. It's one of those Jaguar titles where playing against the game's quirks, odd design choices and low frame-rate become part of the experience.  A scenario that's all too common in the Jaguar's retail library. 

I actually kinda like the game in small amounts. Sure it plays like it was not quite finished.

It feels like the game was rushed. I guess you can say that about a lot of Jag games

I had fun with it when it came up in the Jaguar Hi-Score club. Trying to cut corners on jumps is kinda fun....

Although I wasn't sad to see the next game come up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really enjoy Supercross 3D. I also didn't even bother to try it until my Game Drive came (and I already had like 4 spare prototype Skunkboards by then, so I really thought it wasn't going to be worth the boot time). I don't think framerate makes or breaks a racing game at all. It's the controls. Yes, you crash if you jump out of the track by a sub pixel here, but after 3 or 4 races *I stopped jumping out of the track!* Imagine that; a racing game where even at 5 fps you can learn to steer. WTF was your excuse Checked Flag? I played that one every night for like 2 weeks straight, and it still felt like a tossup whether I'd have a good lap or a wall-hugging lap.

I also don't sit down to play through story modes or anything. I kick off a build and have a quick race, or play a few rounds to relax before bed, so I may not really notice if the narrative is a bit incomplete... Or missing entirely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 12:03 AM, tripled79 said:

After all this time in wait lists, I finally got my Jaguar GD recently. This allowed me to try some games that I've never been able to get my hands on for one reason or another. The good and the bad alike.

Supercross 3D has a notorious reputation for being a bad racing game. I spent some time with it. And I don't think it's that bad. It's a hell of a lot better than Checkered Flag in my option.

I think I'd even rather play this than Atari Karts for that matter. At least in Supercross 3D I don't get bumped a mile back from running into objects or opponents. Or even worse, in Atari Karts, I tend to get completely stuck behind objects which completely ruins your race. Doesn't seem to happen at all in Supercross 3D.

Atari Karts might have better frame rate, but frame rate isn't everything.

But that's just my opinion.

My problem was hitting invisible barriers by slightly leaning to the side.

Checkerd flag I've just got use to tapping over the years, o played it rescently and had no issue, probably ruined myself for real racing games.

Everything is in prospective for a free game Supercross 3D isn't bad, I payed 50 bucks towards the end of Jags life, cause grafix looked great like a playstation game, and the magazines hated Atari couldn't be that bad...but boy was it bad, it slows to a crawl then suddenly speeds up, based on how much is around you, their are false barriers.

So if your getting to just play any jag racer..

Superburnout is a hidden gem, it is great on all counts, I'd pay to dowoad again, not only is it a great redo of Super hang-on but you can see the grooves in the road just like a real motorcycle racing, it's smooth no slowdown great title. 

Power drive Ralley is another great game. Similar to Super off road, another hidden gem.

ATARI karts isn't bad for free, for $200+ you'll hate it, for free or 40 bucks, it's an OK SNES clone of Mario kart, their are not as many defence moves that takes the fun away, also post snes Mario kart has upgraded game play way beyond this game, so comparison is hard.

Club drive for free isn't bad either it's control is better than Checerd Flag, just it's an open driving game in a weird blocky bed room...again paying 50 bucks changes view of game.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I like Supercross 3D more than most people. But then again I don’t like most people ? 

Seriously if it weren’t so easy to get knocked down and so slow to get back up, I would throughly enjoy it. It would also be nice if the different arenas looked different at all, and if the track did not always look like poop. But it’s mostly the falling over that makes me reluctant to pop it in.

• Like 1

I am baffled why I like it so much. It's pretty frustrating. It's like just a little bit of work away from being a great game. My hats off to guys like Cubanismo who got a handle on the controls so quick. After 20 or so games I'm still surprised when I don't come in last. 

As for the colors it's a motocross game. Not sure what other colors they could choose.

Overall this is another damn this is a real shame situation. Makes me think of Atari's handling of things.

Atari 'we want more textures on everything'

Developers 'but it's not good at that"

Atari 'shut up'

developers 'hey we found better ways of texturing and doing things in general'

Atari 'shut up, you're stupid'

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

I'm curious what age / systems people started playing racing games. I started on amstrad and spectrum, progressed to NES and master system. Compared to that, there isn't a bad racing game on the Jag, nothing I'd be super thrilled with at the time but looking back now, the controls, collision and frame rate are not really any different to anything else I saw before that. The only one I meh at is club drive. 

• Like 1

I didn’t like this game until I played it “competitively” in the jaguar HSC. After a while of playing it was discovered that with well timed jumps you can jump over the instant fall barriers, and I got most of my fun out of discovering new jumps that can be made to save some time in the race. Its not a good game, but there is certainly fun to be had if you stick with it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

I'm curious what age / systems people started playing racing games. I started on amstrad and spectrum, progressed to NES and master system. Compared to that, there isn't a bad racing game on the Jag, nothing I'd be super thrilled with at the time but looking back now, the controls, collision and frame rate are not really any different to anything else I saw before that. The only one I meh at is club drive. 

I may have played Sprint or the like in arcade, but first one that made impact was Indy 500 on VCS in ‘81-‘82 when I was 11-12, especially the ice race. (First video game, that is. I had a coupla slot tracks before that.)

• Like 1

Question, is the frame rate slightly higher on the gamedrive, is the rom the same as the game released? Just asking because the original game is about unplayable with the invisible barriers and frame rate. I just can't imagine a defence for this game or choosing it when the game drive would leave you so many better games to choose from.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say something like "there isn't a bad racing game on the Jag." That's an amazing statement considering it has, by any metrics, at least two of the worst racing games of all time on it. I mean, it's not even up for debate that there are bad racing games on the Jaguar. It doesn't make a lick of difference that there are similarly awful games on other platforms. Bad is bad, even if there are arguably worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say something like "there isn't a bad racing game on the Jag." That's an amazing statement considering it has, by any metrics, at least two of the worst racing games of all time on it. I mean, it's not even up for debate that there are bad racing games on the Jaguar. It doesn't make a lick of difference that there are similarly awful games on other platforms. Bad is bad, even if there are arguably worse.

The benefits of having a game drive where you can test the waters with each game, I imagine paying £40+ for it brand new at the time might have given me a different opinion! 

1 hour ago, Pete5125 said:

Question, is the frame rate slightly higher on the gamedrive, is the rom the same as the game released? Just asking because the original game is about unplayable with the invisible barriers and frame rate. I just can't imagine a defence for this game or choosing it when the game drive would leave you so many better games to choose from.

I doubt it and even if so, a few FPS boost wouldn't make a bit of difference. It's probably a good 15 - 20 fps off from being reasonably playable and then that's having to ignore all of its other issues as a game. We only have to look to the almost as dreadful, but similar, Motocross Championship on the 32X to see that just having a better framerate doesn't make up for the failings in other areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

1645380533583_5089348524306.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6