IGNORED

Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

In case you don't read my blog, I am hard at work making a new game called Jack and the Beanstalk. This will be a multi-bank game, 8k, if all goes according to planned.

Right now, you can only get to the top of the seventh screen of the beanstalk. I am having trouble deciding how long I should make it. And then after the beanstalk, Jack goes into the giant's castle, which will be really big. You need to find the key to get into the Giant's room which will be like Donkey Kong. When he gets to the top of this screen, he'll get the harp. Jack also needs to find the goose that lays golden eggs which is hidden randomly somewhere in the castle. And once he exits the castle, he needs to go back down the beanstalk, but it's changed. If Jack doesn't touch it, he'll fall upwards! Be sure not to touch the bird, doing so will bump you back to the beginning of the level!

This is what I have so far. Works fine on a real Odyssey 2.

jack6.png.2e0fa50715ecd2a17905b719c26da26d.png

jack9.bin

So I took some time and finished level 1. However, it's so hard I can't beat it. I had to disable the collision detection in order to beat it then put it back in.This after spending at least 30 minutes trying to beat the thing on a real Odyssey 2. I would like to be able to beat my own game, but I also don't want people complaining about it being easy. I guess I never was good at video games to begin with. Here, judge for yourself. Here is Jack level 1 with coding completed. If you beat it, you'll just go back to the title screen. Is it too hard?

jack14.bin

The balance between challenging and excessive difficulty is always hard to find and maintain.  I like the addition of a second bird, but what may be overly frustrating is each collision sends you back to the very beginning.  If it just sent you back one screen prior, that may be more reasonable--or actually have you fall until you catch the vine, and I would look at the O2 Spiderman for an example of those physics.

But, overall, I like what I am seeing.  Thanks for creating new content for the O2 and for posting updates.

• Like 1

Instead of knocking you down to the very beginning, a collision with a bat sends you just 5 screens back (This does mean, that if you collisde with a bat on screen 6 or lower, it still sends you back to the beginning.) This took a few hours to do. (I had to figure out a good starting place for each screen you may end up on. And then I had to figure out how to code it so it puts you there.) Let me know if I messed up and it knocks you down to a mid-air point after a bat collision.

jack15.bin

Floor 1 of the castle. Each floor will have 14 rooms. I thought I could fit in 15 but no. It's 14. Later I will put in a staircase in room 14 that will lead to the second floor. I like Jack's little walking animation sprites. Let me know if you get stuck in the walls or encounter other weirdness.

jack19c.bin

Fixed a bug pertaining to down movement. Jack's right foot got caught in the bottom wall when his left foot wasn't touching it. Weird things may happen when you touch a wall and press up and down at the same time, but since this is impossible to do with a joystick (and since the final ROM won't be released as a ROM), I will not worry about it.

Today I discovered you CAN move from bank 2 to bank 1. That will make programming easier.

jack20c.bin

Experience the stairs for yourself. If you didn't read my blog entry, I put in staircases to get from floor to floor. The staircases will always be in room 14 and will always transport you to room 1 on the next floor if you go up and room 14 if you go down.

jack22c.bin

• 2 weeks later...

The castle is almost complete. All I have to do is hide the key in there. I had to work all day on this because it was being a butthole, but I eventually got it working. I think I will have just enough room to hide the key. Let me know if you get stuck in the walls or other weirdness happens. I know of the triangle being to the extreme left upon going to floor 5 and it just starts out on the first floor because the game reset. I'm not worrying about that.

jack27c.bin

I got the key in. Now I need help with the wall collision. I can't seem to do it just right. I give up. I tried sitting here for 3 hours trying various things to make the collision detection with the wall okay, but I can't. If you want to help, I've attached the code.

jack28c.a48 jack28c.bin