Sign in to follow this  
Bonkey Kong

How powerful is the Amico? Which past console is it most closely comparable to?

How powerful is the Amico?

Which past console is it most closely comparable to when it comes to processing/graphics power capabilities?

• Thanks 1

Ouya, FireTV, AppleTV, Nvidia Shield — all using mobile SOCs in a TV console form factor, wireless controllers, and a digital App Store. 

I don’t think “power” is the right unit of measurement. All modern chipsets have plenty of power to run fun video games. It’s all about the ecosystem nowadays. 

Amico could run any GameBoy Advance, Playstation and maybe Dreamcast game you’d throw at it, if you really want to compare it to old consoles. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

Amico could run any GameBoy Advance, Playstation and maybe Dreamcast game you’d throw at it, if you really want to compare it to old consoles. 

so somewhere between a PS1 & Dreamcast, ty

With someone taking time to do a quality port, you can run Xbox and PS2 era 3D games like Grand Theft Auto III or Knights of the Old Republic on this kind of mobile chipset, but the indie-style games we’ve seen so far would probably run fine on the systems you mention, yes. 

They’d also run fine in a web browser, just like the free stuff that kids like at https://iogames.space or https://www.coolmathgames.com

My point is, power doesn’t really matter — the tablet-like Nintendo Switch has lots of power despite being “weak,” it all comes down to software and the talent of the developers. 

I like the mobile app stores because the wide open playing field gives you LOTS of chances to find something good. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Doubtful. I have a phone with an equivalent soc (and more ram) that struggles with most dreamcast 3d games.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

Doubtful. I have a phone with an equivalent soc (and more ram) that struggles with most dreamcast 3d games.

VIA Emulation or ports?   Big difference!  Again, talent of developers as stated. 

• Like 1

If you look at the GPU and GFLOPS the Amico would be most similar to a Wii U, about half a Playstation 3, about 20x a Playstation 2.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

I wouldn't expect Reicast to run well, but native ports to the hardware should work. Your phone can't play Crazy Taxi or Virtua Tennis

• Like 1

If the Arstechnica article is anyway close to being true. This system has the specs of a Motorola Moto G5 Plus. A phone released 4 years ago, that has a Snapdragon 625 and 4gb of RAM (Amico to have a paltry 2gb RAM).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, duderino81 said:

If the Arstechnica article is anyway close to being true. This system has the specs of a Motorola Moto G5 Plus. A phone released 4 years ago, that has a Snapdragon 625 and 4gb of RAM (Amico to have a paltry 2gb RAM).

They got the information directly from their dev portal. So unless Intellivision was giving their devs bad information it should be accurate.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

They got the information directly from their dev portal. So unless Intellivision was giving their devs bad information it should be accurate.

This statement is incorrect.  The old developer portal that was breached had information that was over 3 years old.

RAM & ROM numbers were incorrect on both the console and the controllers.  Anyone could simply look on our website to see that the "leaked" information wasn't correct.

https://intellivision.com/amico-tech-specs

51 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

This statement is incorrect.  The old developer portal that was breached had information that was over 3 years old.

RAM & ROM numbers were incorrect on both the console and the controllers.  Anyone could simply look on our website to see that the "leaked" information wasn't correct.

https://intellivision.com/amico-tech-specs

Well the 2gb RAM was right and a snapdragon 625 is also clocked at 1.8ghz.

so how is this wrong??

Edited by duderino81
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

If its in the PS Vita range that wouldn't be too bad.   Vita was capable of some really good looking games. 

Too bad that a lot of Vita games don't run at the Vita's native 960x544 and are upscaled (not counting the Vita TV, which also upscales to 1280x720p or 1920x1080i). It does have some nice looking-games, though, like Uncharted. Got that with my Vita in December of 2011 and it was amazing to see that game running on a handheld.

who cares about specs..it's all about the games...in just about every generation the more powerful system has been outsold by a less powerful console that had better games

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ASalvaro said:

who cares about specs..it's all about the games...in just about every generation the more powerful system has been outsold by a less powerful console that had better games

Well value comes into play when the price of some versions of the Amico cost as much as a Xbox Series S, and a Nintendo Switch.

Both much more capable systems than the Amico can ever dream to imagine 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, duderino81 said:

Well value comes into play when the price of some versions of the Amico cost as much as a Xbox Series S, and a Nintendo Switch.

Both much more capable systems than the Amico can ever dream to imagine 

Really, those systems come with 2 controllers that have interactive touch screens? Or 6 pack in games?

37 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

Really, those systems come with 2 controllers that have interactive touch screens? Or 6 pack in games?

The wife and myself have been playing on one set of joycons for over a year. So yes it comes with two controllers. There are tons of games in the eshop that are good multiplayer fun that are $2-$5. And the Switch screen is interactive as Baby Beef likes to play a free coloring book game with touch, and will play CG Bowling with touch.

People are acting like those 6 games are on par with Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Halo, etc. When in reality they compare more to the cheap indie games I mentioned above. Those indie games can also be found on PS, XB, and Steam.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

People are acting like those 6 games are on par with Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Halo, etc. When in reality they compare more to the cheap indie games I mentioned above.

Agree. My another issue with the argument of 6 games is that usually I choose games that I buy. With the 6 built-in (download-in?) games I don't have any say about them. It is really not probable that I would enjoy all of them or maybe even half of them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

those systems come with 2 controllers

I understand the argument about 2 controllers, however, for other systems, there are many cheap 3rd-party controllers available, in the case of Amico, there will be none such options, if I am not mistaken. It is true that one can use the mobile phone, however, the mobile phone will not be able to replicate all functionality of the physical controller (like pressure sensitivity of the control wheel).  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lusorius said:

Agree. My another issue with the argument of 6 games is that usually I choose games that I buy. With the 6 built-in (download-in?) games I don't have any say about them. It is really not probable that I would enjoy all of them or maybe even half of them. 

Yeah Farkle would be like a $2 stand alone game. I like playing Yacht Dice with the wife, but CG also comes with 50 other games. So when you do Amico Math of that makes Yacht Dice only $0.65.

19 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Yeah Farkle would be like a $2 stand alone game.

Yeah. And it would be just nice to have more honest marketing here. To have 6 pack-in games is nice - don't take me wrong - but I would not equal them to 6 games that you buy for a normal console and that you choose by yourself. Also if I now think about how great games I've got on Steam, Humble Indie Bundle or Itch.io for cheap and on Epic Store for free, the value of 6 pack-in games looks even worse then. 😕 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lusorius said:

I understand the argument about 2 controllers, however, for other systems, there are many cheap 3rd-party controllers available, in the case of Amico, there will be none such options, if I am not mistaken. It is true that one can use the mobile phone, however, the mobile phone will not be able to replicate all functionality of the physical controller (like pressure sensitivity of the control wheel).  

I think you are making my point.  These controllers are not cheap.  X2

As far as 3rd party controllers go, we don't know what the future holds.  It seems IE is willing to work with others.  Of course 3rd parties need to see a market before that will happen.

I don't remember the actual 6 games?  But I believe Skiing, Shark Shark and Astrosmash are among them?  I would buy these 3. 

I will try them all and may be pleasantly surprised by some?  

My hope is that any Retro re-imagined games come with the classic version included.  Example:  MLB includes the Intellivision Version.   ( could be hidden or unlocked etc. )

I would also hope we can buy "packs" or a complete set of the Intellivision games.

• Like 1